Search

Catering & Brand Changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2022, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by rustykettel
A low bar.
At least there's a bar, and it now has rum The cans of wine we "suffered" from for quite some time were a lot better than the DL Shattow du Plastique.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
PDX-SFO 3/5/22
I for one am looking forward to the Glenfarclas as this is what they serve onboard UA in addition to Buffalo Trace. Now only if we can get the Hazelnut Espresso back!
rustykettel likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 1:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG
I'm suprised they're going to make another try with bibimbap. Hopefully they include a description of it for the poor FA in F who has to explain the dish to people. The only FA I saw who could describe it was Korean
Old Mar 22, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by finlandia
I'm suprised they're going to make another try with bibimbap. Hopefully they include a description of it for the poor FA in F who has to explain the dish to people. The only FA I saw who could describe it was Korean
Shocking for a "West Coast Most" crew.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I enjoyed a bibimbap at Poppabox in DC the other day. Haven’t tried Alaska’s.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Shocking for a "West Coast Most" crew.
Yeah it's not like it's hard to explain. If someone doesn't know what it is just say it's a Korean rice bowl.

If I remember correctly (it's been a while) I once had bibimbap on a VX flight from SFO to ORD back in 2015.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Have you tried it? In my opinion, it tastes slightly better, has a nicer presentation (glass bottle) and is slightly more expensive, at least where I am.
I remember back in the 80s when being Denver based, United was my airline of choice. Bailey's was their Irish Cream of choice. Then one day due to a flight cancellation I was switched from United's First Class to TWA's First Class. TWA served Carolans. I liked it a bit better than the Baileys. I still do. It has a bit sharper taste, which I personally like.

I'm surprised they're going to make another try with bibimbap. Hopefully they include a description of it for the poor FA in F who has to explain the dish to people. The only FA I saw who could describe it was Korean
So far as I know the FAs are usually provided with a print out describing the catering options for First Class. Whether catering loads them or whether the FA chooses to use them seems to vary from flight to flight. I remember one flight where the FA offered us essentially "Chicken or a salad". Later, I saw a sheet in the galley with a more detailed description of the meal choices. I get the sense some FAs simply can't be bothered.
pcoll and Intl359Widget like this.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 22, 2022 at 3:37 pm
Old Mar 22, 2022, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

So far as I know the FAs are usually provided with a print out describing the catering options for First Class. Whether catering loads them or whether the FA chooses to use them seems to vary from flight to flight. I remember one flight where the FA offered us essentially "Chicken or a salad". Later, I saw a sheet in the galley with a more detailed description of the meal choices. I get the sense some FAs simply can't be bothered.
I actually see them reading off of and passing out their iPhone for this as it is not printed.
AS737 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 4:33 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
TWA served Carolans. I liked it a bit better than the Baileys. I still do. It has a bit sharper taste, which I personally like.
Thanks for the tip. I look forward to trying Carolans one day. For now, I’m enjoying my first Five Farms. Very smooth.

I don’t recall flying TWA, but know someone who was an FA back then. Or maybe it was Pan Am. I should ask her about drinks. Wasn’t there a Pan Am TV show a few years ago? Unfortunately just for one season, I think.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vanillabean
Thanks for the tip. I look forward to trying Carolans one day. For now, I’m enjoying my first Five Farms. Very smooth.

I don’t recall flying TWA, but know someone who was an FA back then. Or maybe it was Pan Am. I should ask her about drinks. Wasn’t there a Pan Am TV show a few years ago? Unfortunately just for one season, I think.
That show was probably at a time where probably everything was "full bottles" and there were no security checkpoints.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 4:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
That show was probably at a time where probably everything was "full bottles" and there were no security checkpoints.
Sounds like my style.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 4:21 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
The Good Old Days of Aviation I suppose. I recently flew LH in Business Class and was surprised to see that alcohol was served from mini bottles whereas Virgin Atlantic still does full bottles in Upper Class.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 9:45 pm

Programs: AS 100k, AA MM, HH Dia
PDX-PHX tonight - Hand wipes now Clorox branded and the cloth napkin with cutlery has been exchanged for a paper packet with paper napkin (and the same metal cutlery)
Old Mar 24, 2022, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by leroix
PDX-PHX tonight - ... the cloth napkin with cutlery has been exchanged for a paper packet with paper napkin (and the same metal cutlery)
This is what I had out of PDX last week.

-J.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
I for one am looking forward to the Glenfarclas as this is what they serve onboard UA in addition to Buffalo Trace. Now only if we can get the Hazelnut Espresso back!
I had my first flight this month last night. Was shocked to see new options. I'm more shocked there is a new scotch. And I didn't realize it although I did take a picture of the card. There was baileys on board last night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.