Wiki Posts
Search

AY codeshare flights & earning miles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: free agent
AY codeshare flights & earning miles

I am thinking about buying AY business class fare but we all know how Alaska impose strange rules on certain flights that is not eligible for earning miles such as codeshare flights.

I am little hesistant to buy this business class ticket due to AY-marketed but operated by BA between YYZ-LHR. I really could do YYZ-ORD/JFK on AA metal then catch AY metal to be safe but would love to experience BA's new 777 business seat (first world problem moment). Also, Matrix wouldn't allow me HEL-ORD/JFK-YYZ (seems force me to take HEL-LHR-YYZ.

How likely I will earn AS miles for flying AY-marketed but BA operated flight since both airlines "appears" to have good relationship with AS right now.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
You're setting yourself up for a potential problem there, that's for sure.

Can you just buy the BA ticket? You'll earn more miles with a BA biz ticket than an AY one.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by washeelers747
I am thinking about buying AY business class fare but we all know how Alaska impose strange rules on certain flights that is not eligible for earning miles such as codeshare flights.

I am little hesistant to buy this business class ticket due to AY-marketed but operated by BA between YYZ-LHR. I really could do YYZ-ORD/JFK on AA metal then catch AY metal to be safe but would love to experience BA's new 777 business seat (first world problem moment). Also, Matrix wouldn't allow me HEL-ORD/JFK-YYZ (seems force me to take HEL-LHR-YYZ.

How likely I will earn AS miles for flying AY-marketed but BA operated flight since both airlines "appears" to have good relationship with AS right now.
AS generally credits codeshare flights based on the operating carrier's charts when both the marketing & operating carriers are AS Partners. A manual request for credit would be required as codeshare flights do not credit automatically; yes, there has been at least one datapoint to the contrary.

Depending on your dates, AA international flights from YYZ-ORD/JFK would be eligible for AS accrual and earn 150% EQM in J.

Earnings on BA are much higher than on AY.

James
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I had no pushback last month on AY2 from LAX to HEL. Flight was sold and ticketed by AA, marketed by BA as BA 6001 and operated as a Finnair. I submitted the Finnair Boarding pass for the flight and received the miles 2 days later. Of course your experience may be different.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
There are similar inquires across two partners being the marketing and operating carrier.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31164410-post3.html
Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by safari ari
There are similar inquires across two partners being the marketing and operating carrier.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31164410-post3.html
Originally Posted by cxbonne
I had no pushback last month on AY2 from LAX to HEL. Flight was sold and ticketed by AA, marketed by BA as BA 6001 and operated as a Finnair. I submitted the Finnair Boarding pass for the flight and received the miles 2 days later. Of course your experience may be different.
thanks for datapoints! Seems doable to earn miles but obviously not a risk-free option.

Gotta decide if I really want MVP 75K or content with MVPG since I don’t fly domestic that often. Feel MVPG works fine for me. 75K’s 50k RDM and 25% additional RDM is nice but not a critical benefit to me.

got one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.