Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

How to book Seoul Stopover on KE award with AS Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver

I am trying to book SEA - SYD with stopover in ICN. I'm having no problem finding J availability for SEA-ICN-SYD with a 3 hour layover, but it appears the AS website doesn't let you search ICN-SYD using multi-city. I'm thinking this must not be an appropriate routing for AS. Any idea how to make this search work? I wouldn't mind having a 3 or 4 day stopover in ICN.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
I am trying to book SEA - SYD with stopover in ICN. I'm having no problem finding J availability for SEA-ICN-SYD with a 3 hour layover, but it appears the AS website doesn't let you search ICN-SYD using multi-city. I'm thinking this must not be an appropriate routing for AS. Any idea how to make this search work? I wouldn't mind having a 3 or 4 day stopover in ICN.
Call in and book it over the phone since you are MVPG and phone fees are waived?
jinglish likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
You can also use the multi-city search option with SEA-ICN as your first segment with the date you want and ICN-SYD as the connecting segment with the date you would like to travel after the stopover.

Keep in mind that business is 125K Mileage plan miles one-way unless booked in conjunction with a return award (KE or Other) then it will be 62.5K. As a standalone one-way it is a lot of miles to spend.
  1. Korean Air does not offer a one-way award level. One-way Korean Air award bookings are charged the same number of miles as round-trip travel. Korean Air flights, when used one-way in combination with Alaska Airlines or another partner airline to create a round-trip itinerary (routing restrictions apply), will be charged half the applicable Korean Air round-trip miles. If any part of a round-trip itinerary is flown on Korean Air, it becomes ineligible for any refund of the unflown portions.
  2. Korean Air does not allow lap infants in Business Class. A full award must be redeemed for all passengers, including children under 24 months old.

ICN-SYD is not a valid routing for a KE award. If you are looking specifically for that routing you will get an error. The only carrier that allows Asia to Australia is CX from HKG. ICN-HKG HKG-SYD would be two awards on CX as all awards on CX break at HKG unless they are connecting to or arriving from North America.

James in Faa'a Tahiti.
AKLifetimeFlyer likes this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Feb 22, 2019 at 2:54 am
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I had no problem finding a stop-over in ICN from JFK-SYD. There are a ton of Blackout dates which may be part of the problem. I just did a standard multi city award search. Very few days came up but it was there. You can enter any city pair if its in the AS system it just return error if its not on the award chart

Last edited by CDKing; Feb 22, 2019 at 10:55 am
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Also, keep in mind that KE only release 1J 2Y to partners. You might want to consider to book with KE Skypass for another J award on the same flight.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: Marriott PLAT
I'm curious if anyone else is dealing with phantom availability of J Awards on KE - I've attempted to book a roundtrip for up to 4 awards shown as available on Alaska's website and receive the following message:

We're sorry, we aren't able to confirm space on these partner flights. Please try again and choose different flights, dates or cities.

I phoned in the reservation as well; they received the same response and unfortunately wasn't able to assist further with an explanation.
Old May 3, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jb2001
I'm curious if anyone else is dealing with phantom availability of J Awards on KE - I've attempted to book a roundtrip for up to 4 awards shown as available on Alaska's website and receive the following message:

We're sorry, we aren't able to confirm space on these partner flights. Please try again and choose different flights, dates or cities.

I phoned in the reservation as well; they received the same response and unfortunately wasn't able to assist further with an explanation.
Yes, starting three weeks ago I tried for two weeks to book a J roundtrip for one (trying multiple itineraries that showed as available) and got that message or a similar message with a -1990 error code. Three phone agents said it was an IT issue in connecting with the KE systems with no known timeline for fixing it. After hearing from a contact at AS that this was, in fact, true, I finally just gave up and used Chase UR points to book on another airline.

Now it looks like from another thread that AS is having similar issues with JL and already had stopped FI redemptions because of too many failed bookings.

Last edited by RaginPlainsman; May 3, 2019 at 11:22 am
Old May 3, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
KE redemption is currently broken... even if there is J availability on ExpertFlyer the booking can’t get through.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
KE Award Booking

Are KE Award bookings using AS Miles working these days?
I assume no change in only 1J seat being available to partners?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.