Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SFO's Busiest Runway (28L) Closed 9/7-27/2019: What You Need to Know

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO's Busiest Runway (28L) Closed 9/7-27/2019: What You Need to Know

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
damn, that could be really lucrative ... just take rolling VDBs for a day and hang out in the new Lounge in the North Satellite
I had this thought as well, but I feel like the GAs would scope you out pretty fast. FWIW this is the 4th time in a row I've gotten the "need volunteers" email in the last week between sea/bay area but this is the first time they actually needed one. It seemed like a lot of crew were on this particular flight (going home?) which may have played a role. It also seems like prices have gone up during this time frame but it's difficult to say if that's causational or not.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by barabuski
Not unexpected but based off convo with GAs in seattle yesterday, this might be stressing AS operations a bit. They told me basically all flights yesterday to bay area (all 3 airports) were sold out, most oversold. My flight had a massive list of people on standby as well. They were offering $650 to be bumped until 10am this morning. Probably should have taken it in retrospect.
Don't forget STS - I was able to SDC (via phone) to STS for tomorrow. After seeing all the shenanigans occuring after early morning departures, I'd suggest everyone just avoid SFO for the next couple weeks...

ETA: the Sonoma Airport Express bus runs from STS to SFO & OAK.

Last edited by DrAlex; Sep 9, 2019 at 7:46 pm
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Thanks for the info about the SFO situation. Good to know as I have plans to go through SFO later this week and next.

Other airlines were allowing changes without charges because of the airport runway limitation at SFO. Alaska Airlines was/is not.

Will see if the situation of delays and bumping has settled by the end of this week.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
Thanks for the info about the SFO situation. Good to know as I have plans to go through SFO later this week and next.
Other airlines were allowing changes without charges because of the airport runway limitation at SFO. Alaska Airlines was/is not.
Will see if the situation of delays and bumping has settled by the end of this week.
I get the sense the usual restrictions might be relaxed for this SFO runway business. I don't think STS is technically a coterminal. Elite status will likely help - YMMV.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 12:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Flew BWI-SFO yesterday. Flight delayed from 7p to 8p, then to 10p, then to 11p. Landed at 1:48a instead of 10pm. I'm glad it wasn't cancelled. Awesome flight attendant in F as well.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by DrAlex
Don't forget STS - I was able to SDC (via phone) to STS for tomorrow. After seeing all the shenanigans occuring after early morning departures, I'd suggest everyone just avoid SFO for the next couple weeks...

I did ask about STS, however I was told that the GA couldn't do it, and that any ticket replacement (to get bumped) could not be SDC'd locations or time due to it being a "protection ticket". I have NO idea if that's true or not, but didnt want to risk it..
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by barabuski
I had this thought as well, but I feel like the GAs would scope you out pretty fast. FWIW this is the 4th time in a row I've gotten the "need volunteers" email in the last week between sea/bay area but this is the first time they actually needed one. It seemed like a lot of crew were on this particular flight (going home?) which may have played a role. It also seems like prices have gone up during this time frame but it's difficult to say if that's causational or not.
Why would they care? They have to bump someone, it doesn't matter who.

If anything, if you're familiar with the process, you'll be easier to handle than a newbie. You may be the preferred VDB candidate since they don't have to explain anything to you. This flight, this much, crappy seat, cool? Go!
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by channa
Why would they care? They have to bump someone, it doesn't matter who.

If anything, if you're familiar with the process, you'll be easier to handle than a newbie. You may be the preferred VDB candidate since they don't have to explain anything to you. This flight, this much, crappy seat, cool? Go!
and repeat
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: AS, UA, AA, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by DrAlex

That Airport Express Bus isn't bad at all, runs every hour (most of the day) to/from SFO -less frequent to OAK- has pretty decent free wifi, and not subject to ATC/WX/construction delays! (US101 is an entirely different matter, though; pack your own chute on that...) Add that to the easy-in/out at STS, and it's probably more dependable than anything in/out of SFO right now.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
I have an SFO arrival the day after the madness is supposed (ahem) to end
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
just saw this on the DL thread

SFO Construction Ahead of Schedule
channa and mildfrequence like this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SFOPeter
Flew BWI-SFO yesterday. Flight delayed from 7p to 8p, then to 10p, then to 11p. Landed at 1:48a instead of 10pm. I'm glad it wasn't cancelled. Awesome flight attendant in F as well.
OMG, 4 hours delay!
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: Gold 75K
I flew on a 6 p.m. flight last night (9/12) from SFO to SEA. Maybe I got lucky, but my flight, as well as the 6 p.m. flight to PAE left on time. I had to call in for a SDC for this flight. The agent told me that they had been managing the construction by proactively reducing flights.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Sent a note about the 3hr 40 min ATC delay for my SFO-LAX flight a week ago ... focused on no travel waiver available when United and American were offering rather than the actual delay and got a $125 credit for my troubles...

I was less concerned about getting a credit for this than with giving them a trackable complaint about their strategy to handle this runway closure.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:37 am

Sorry to hear about all the people who are having troubles. I flew this weekend BOS-SFO-LAX, and I had watched those flights all last week. They were almost always on time, and frequently early. It was the same for me. So it's not an automatic conclusion that any SFO flight will have a problem. Though it does seem like when there is a delay, it's really big.
mildfrequence likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.