Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SFO Runway 28L Closure for 20 days starting Sept 7

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2019, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Print Wikipost

SFO Runway 28L Closure for 20 days starting Sept 7

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
The initial NOTAMs have been issued for this project. They include:

Issuing Airport: (SFO) San Francisco Intl
NOTAM Number: 09/025
Effective Time Frame
Beginning: Saturday, September 7, 2019 0700 (UTC)
Ending: Thursday, September 26, 2019 1900 (UTC)
Affected Areas
Runway: 10R/28L
Operating Status: Closed
and

Issuing Airport: (SFO) San Francisco Intl
NOTAM Number: 09/026
Effective Time Frame
Beginning: Saturday, September 7, 2019 0700 (UTC)
Ending: Monday, September 16, 2019 1900 (UTC)
Affected Areas
Runway: 01R/19L
Operating Status: Closed
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yikes. That is going to be very messy since it meters normal domestic departures as well. Can a full 739 even make it off of 1L? I have always used 1R and rolled quite a ways before rotating.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What are the odds that this work will be finished by mid October?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by findark
Yikes. That is going to be very messy since it meters normal domestic departures as well. Can a full 739 even make it off of 1L? I have always used 1R and rolled quite a ways before rotating.
1L should be long enough for a 739 at sea level as long as its not too hot.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by findark
Airplanes don’t use their entire throttle to take off; rather, they take off using reduced thrust to save engine life and fuel. The exact throttle settings are calculated by the flight computer using runway distances, temperature, wind speed, weight, etc.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What are the odds that this work will be finished by mid October?
Better than 99%
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre
No big deal. SFO loses a runway anytime it's foggy. Which is a very frequent occurrence. Even on a typical day, a quarter of the departures from SFO are delayed. DL's schedules already assumes that its planes will have to wait in line a while to take off and land at SFO. Because of this padding, impacts will be minor on DL. Also, RJs generally take the brunt of the delays when this kind of thing happens, and DL has very few RJs left at SFO.
Exactly I am always prepared for a fun delay at SFO AMEX Centurion Club a few good stiff drinks and the delays are not so bad(:
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp
The initial NOTAMs have been issued for this project. They include:

and
Lets pray that Air Canada got this message this time around(:
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 4:01 pm

SFO runway closure affecting DL on Sunday Sept 8

Well, it's happened, and we all knew it would. Waiting to get DTW-SFO today and the last 3 of the 5 day's flights are now showing 5+ hour delays. ATC is what they tell the pax, but it has been advertised all over the radio past week that they're re-doing runway 28L for the month of December. I knew it and thought it wouldn't be more than an hour or two. Rookie mistake. I can't imaging what the other carriers are going through, except that they'll probably give preference to the trans-oceanic like they used to.

Promptly shunted all my remaining SFO arrivals away to SJC for the rest of the month. AA waived all fees for me on them. I suspect AS travelers are getting clobbered, too. Can't be fun for short haul runs o UA.

They last resurfaced some years ago and I recall it was miserable then. They told us Sept was the best month for them to do it, but I, for one, don't buy it. I think FT should get the word out as best possible on all forum(s) if poss.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
I noticed the same thing for DTW-SFO delay today. Will have two DTW-SFO in the next two weeks. When I asked whether there is waiver or alert, the PM line agent loudly refused my request and said "there is nothing about SFO going on".
Old Sep 8, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FullFare
Well, it's happened, and we all knew it would. Waiting to get DTW-SFO today and the last 3 of the 5 day's flights are now showing 5+ hour delays. ATC is what they tell the pax, but it has been advertised all over the radio past week that they're re-doing runway 28L for the month of December. I knew it and thought it wouldn't be more than an hour or two. Rookie mistake. I can't imaging what the other carriers are going through, except that they'll probably give preference to the trans-oceanic like they used to.

Promptly shunted all my remaining SFO arrivals away to SJC for the rest of the month. AA waived all fees for me on them. I suspect AS travelers are getting clobbered, too. Can't be fun for short haul runs o UA.

They last resurfaced some years ago and I recall it was miserable then. They told us Sept was the best month for them to do it, but I, for one, don't buy it. I think FT should get the word out as best possible on all forum(s) if poss.
September is pretty much the lowest travel month of the year, so I don’t doubt them on that front. Still, not ideal by any means
Old Sep 8, 2019, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
all month ... see this thread on the AS board
Old Sep 8, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by danielonn
Lets pray that Air Canada got this message this time around(:
Air Canada has a serious safety culture problem, I wish SFO would have considered reprimanding or banning them like they did with Asiana.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by lonelygod
I noticed the same thing for DTW-SFO delay today. Will have two DTW-SFO in the next two weeks. When I asked whether there is waiver or alert, the PM line agent loudly refused my request and said "there is nothing about SFO going on".
Flights delayed more than an hour get full credit with no change fee. 90 minutes entitles you to a refund.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
But that (waive change fee and refund) is until day of departure when I know that there is going to be a delay. I have to travel DTW-Bay area, so refund won't work.

Since I'm on the last flight out of DTW to SFO in the evening, there is no other option for me to go to SJC/OAK if delay is posted last-minute.

I can SDC, but without knowing my flight will be delayed, I can only SDC into my fare class flight.

What I'm saying is, UA waiver has been there for a pretty long time, AA seems waiving the fee per OP. Is it that hard for DL to have a waiver? I remembered some discussion in a different post saying the construction delay impact will be minimal for DL since the slot padding and no regional jets, but it seems like this is not the case...at least for today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.