Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines Wines - Drinkable or Unthinkable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Wines - Drinkable or Unthinkable?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
....after reading all this...thank God I am a Tito and Woodford fan (and the odd beer or two)....
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite

I would have thought that the weather's a bit cold for a vineyard to flourish. Perhaps a few locations further south have a BC-like climate where a west-facing slope gets sun and an early frost gives nice ice wine.
Early frost doesn't make ice wine! It is much more complicated than that.

James
pcoll likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Early frost doesn't make ice wine! It is much more complicated than that.

James
Really? You don’t say!
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:12 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

$10-15 wine is mostly perfectly drinkable these days. We know a lot more about how to make it than the days of Gallo and Ripple.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...ine-180962783/

In fact for most people, you could put $10-15 wine in a bottle with a $50 price tag and compare it with the SAME wine in the original bottle, and they would score the more “expensive” wine better.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0814092949.htm
Oh I totally agree, always get a glass and some club soda on AS, I enjoy my 50-90 wineclub selection and trader joes 2 buck chuck too!
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
They’ve offered stuff like Browne Vineyards on AS in F before, which I rather liked.

https://brownefamilyvineyards.com/our-wine/

BenA likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
They’ve offered stuff like Browne Vineyards on AS in F before, which I rather liked.

https://brownefamilyvineyards.com/our-wine/

Ah, yes, the good old days. Browne was a really good wine . AS has served good to very good wines in the past. I fear for the future.
BenA likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
....after reading all this...thank God I am a Tito and Woodford fan (and the odd beer or two)....
I like the cut of your winglets.

I too usually opt for spirits. Last week, when in Premium , I tried the white wine because there were no spirits permitted. This week, I'll be in First on a flight longer than 2.5 hours. So, I might have a chance to positively identify the bane of the blancs. Especially, if spirits start costing $7.50

Last edited by PaperGlider; Jul 21, 2019 at 11:57 am Reason: removed extra extra words
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
Last week, when in Premium , I tried the white wine because there were no spirits permitted.
No spirits permitted by whom?
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
I like the cut of your winglets.

I too usually opt for spirits. Last week, when in Premium , I tried the white wine because there were no spirits permitted. This week, I'll be in First on a flight longer than 2.5 hours. So, I might have a chance to positively identify the bane of the blancs. Especially, if spirits start costing $7.50
when do you pay for spirits in first?
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
No spirits permitted by whom?
Hi NYC,
The flight attendant. The flight attendant said it was new policy in Premium because it was a short flight. However, that flight is about an hour long and has been serviced with spirits for years and years.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer

when do you pay for spirits in first?
Hi Jackson,

I never have and probably never will.

This thread includes some spirited posts and whining about spirits and wine. I'll try to help and summarize here:

The posts about spirits had to do with a discovery that an Alaska Airlines webpage 1) doesn't specifically mention spirits in the examples of beverages included in First and 2) listed a price for premium spirits in First. All posting are in disbelief and hopeful that this is some error in copying and pasting webpage content (even though the copy-write on that webpage is 2019).

Last edited by PaperGlider; Jul 21, 2019 at 3:41 pm Reason: "an" does not equal an "a"
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Hi NYC,
The flight attendant. The flight attendant said it was new policy in Premium because it was a short flight. However, that flight is about an hour long and has been serviced with spirits for years and years.
I hope this isn't a trend...sounds like the FA made it up.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by pcoll

Ah, yes, the good old days. Browne was a really good wine . AS has served good to very good wines in the past. I fear for the future.
I was going to mention the Browne wines they had served in the past as well. I thought those were excellent choices and a great representation of the various Columbia Valley AVAs (Walla Walla, Yakima, Red Mountain, Horse Heaven Hills, etc).

I agree that they have slipped a bit.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite

Really? You don’t say!
In the Okanagan Valley of British Columbia, true Ice Wine requires that the grapes remain on the vine and be subjected to 72 continuous hours of temperatures at or below -8°C (17.6° F). Once the temperature requirement is met and certified, the grapes are harvested during darkness and crushed while still frozen.

It is always a gamble leaving grapes on the vine. If the temperatures don't cooperate for an Ice Wine production, the grapes can still be harvested and produce a much less valuable Late Harvest wine if the grapes haven't rotted from freeze and thaw cycles.

So, yes, it is much more complicated and an early frost does an Ice Wine not make!

James
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: AS 1MM/MVPG, AS Lounge, DL SkyClub (Life), Hertz 5* -- AA, DL, UA
On Sat. in First, my seatmate had the Sokol B. white - didn't finish it (said he'd had it before) and asked for the red. I then asked for the red (not sure if it was Sokol or not - IIRC the winery name for the red was not listed in the card). Although I usually like red blends, this one was not for me. Bland. I didn't finish it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.