Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines Wines - Drinkable or Unthinkable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.

Do you like the wines? Mentions of new wine in the Lounge Membership Fee thread reminded me.

The white wine on board this week was, for my tastes, undrinkable. I will not think to order it again.

My travelling partner who was seated in another row, mentioned the same distaste for the white wine. We both couldn't drink it.

I've never thought myself to be very picky about wine. My palate must be more of a pallet. And I understand that people have different tastes.

However and for me, that water at the seat for a PDB is looking better and better.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I enjoyed last summer's rose o clock, but no sign of it this year.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: AS
I agree. Our last flight, the wines were pretty bad. Sparkling wine out of a can has strange acidic taste. The white was horrible. I just have the sense that AS keeps cutting costs across all flight offerings. Flying First is just not as enjoyable as it was a couple of years .
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
I agree. Our last flight, the wines were pretty bad. Sparkling wine out of a can has strange acidic taste. The white was horrible. I just have the sense that AS keeps cutting costs across all flight offerings. Flying First is just not as enjoyable as it was a couple of years .
When I flew last month, FA forewarned me that the F white wine was bad and asked if I wanted the Y offering instead. I tried it and agreed, so went with the Y offering.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:33 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

What is the brand and variety of this bane of blancs?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
It seems to be hit or miss.

Sometime last year, I was traveling with someone who had once lived in Walla Walla, and he was very impressed to find a couple of local wines from there being poured in F. On the other hand, sometimes it's just the usual basic airline swill... it seems it used to be more of a guarantee to get local PNW wines on AS, but I've noticed all sorts lately, including the previously referenced canned wine (interestingly, the same brand is also now in stock at my local grocery store).
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
The Pinot Noir on the spring rotation was very good. The canned sparkling wine isn’t exactly first class in the air, but on the ground it is my go to for beach trips. Now only if they could serve Chandon or Roederer Estate in F. Decent sparkling wines made on the west coast backed by well known French Champagne houses. Seems like a good blend of west coast sourcing and brand recognition.
mixmastermark and pcoll like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by brettsir
The Pinot Noir on the spring rotation was very good. The canned sparkling wine isn’t exactly first class in the air, but on the ground it is my go to for beach trips. Now only if they could serve Chandon or Roederer Estate in F. Decent sparkling wines made on the west coast backed by well known French Champagne houses. Seems like a good blend of west coast sourcing and brand recognition.
The canned sparkling wine helps with galley storage and enables provisioning of more than 1 bottle.

If I recall correctly, the current white in F is a Chardonnay and it’s bold and a bit unique. Chardonnay tends to be a love it or hate it varietal and AS missed the mark with those one.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by fly18725
The canned sparkling wine helps with galley storage and enables provisioning of more than 1 bottle.
Canned meat would also help save galley space so for those looking for bigger portions of meat in F, perhaps spam will be the next cost cutting/space saving enhancement.
Fredd likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:02 am

Location: Seattle, WA & Red Lodge, MT (USA) and Cumbria, England
Programs: AA Platinum for Life, AS MVP Gold 100K, Marriott Titanium for Life, Hilton Diamond
The Q2 white offering in F was awful -- a chardonnay from California from Rued Winery. I was happy to see the Q3 options on my flight yesterday, and the white was much nicer.

I don't mind the sparkling House Wine in a can. I've had much worse sparkling out of bottles.

Last edited by Red L; Jul 20, 2019 at 10:32 am
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Personally, I’m not looking for a sommelier experience on a two hour domestic flight.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Alaska Wines. Drinkable or Unthinkable?

I would have thought that the weather's a bit cold for a vineyard to flourish. Perhaps a few locations further south have a BC-like climate where a west-facing slope gets sun and an early frost gives nice ice wine.
missydarlin and PaperGlider like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: AS
Currently on AS site, under First Class Food and Drink. Oregon winery offerings..Sokol Blosser Evolution Lucky #9 White and Sokol Blosser Big Time Red. One item on page that jumps out. Premium Spirits has price attached - $7.50 -followed by description of those available. Beers available with no price attached. AS can't possible be considering charging F passengers for cocktails or premium spirits consumed onboard.?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by pcoll
Currently on AS site, under First Class Food and Drink. Oregon winery offerings..Sokol Blosser Evolution Lucky #9 White and Sokol Blosser Big Time Red. One item on page that jumps out. Premium Spirits has price attached - $7.50 -followed by description of those available. Beers available with no price attached. AS can't possible be considering charging F passengers for cocktails or premium spirits consumed onboard.?
I see that $15 is a more common price point, which is not out of line with the price point of wine on other domestic flights.

There is is no charge for any beverage in F. The prices are for Y.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by fly18725

I see that $15 is a more common price point, which is not out of line with the price point of wine on other domestic flights.

There is is no charge for any beverage in F. The prices are for Y.
I hope you are correct about first. What about Premium. What please is your reference for that assertion that there is no charge for any beverage in First?

I ask because that is NOT what pcoll mentioned and is listed here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...food-and-drink emphasis on /first-class/food-and-drink.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.