Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:00 am

I have this situation for Monday, my friend cannot travel and the 125 is more than the ticket value, was planning to have her just be a no show. We are on the same PNR. I didn't see any benefit to cancel it. Maybe I'm wrong?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
only reason to hold onto the ticket is if the flight cancels and there's no satisfactory rebooking option ... you can request a refund for "trip in vain"
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by jrl767
only reason to hold onto the ticket is if the flight cancels and there's no satisfactory rebooking option ... you can request a refund for "trip in vain"
Perfect scenario: show up if the flight is at risk for being overbooked and get refund and voucher.

This has happened to me once when I really didn’t want to leave and had an alternative option a few days later. I was willing to go on my work trip if needed. I showed up knowing that the flight was sold out. They asked for volunteers and I obliged. It did cost me 90 minutes of my time. But did get to take train from SEA-TAC to downtown in a leisurely manner and learn how the train travel work and get my knowledge on and have lunch with my spouse. I have since regularly used the light rail link to leave airport area.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Cancel is always free. It's reusing the ticket value that costs an additional fee.
And if you make MVPG in the meantime is the fee waived?

I've got a ticket in late may that I'm probably going to want to change, and I expect to make MVPG later this year. It might be more cost effective for me to cancel that ticket and book new flights, taking the ticket value out of my wallet later in the year.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisl137
And if you make MVPG in the meantime is the fee waived?
Yes, I did this last year. The fee is assessed (or not) based on your status when you redeposit, not when you buy the ticket or when you cancel.

This rule can also hurt you if you buy a ticket while gold and then drop down in status before you need to cancel.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Yes, I did this last year. The fee is assessed (or not) based on your status when you redeposit, not when you buy the ticket or when you cancel.
That's something I've started wondering about recently, having not cancelled a ticket on AS yet, and noticing comments about redepositing at a different time from cancelling. Is it obvious how to do that online - it sounds like an IT quirk if you can leave funds in limbo.

(ETA: the ticket I'm on is cash, not miles, so it would be depositing into my wallet.)
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisl137
That's something I've started wondering about recently, having not cancelled a ticket on AS yet, and noticing comments about redepositing at a different time from cancelling. Is it obvious how to do that online - it sounds like an IT quirk if you can leave funds in limbo.

(ETA: the ticket I'm on is cash, not miles, so it would be depositing into my wallet.)
It's not an IT quirk. This is standard. The funds are not in limbo. The ticket just has residual value. The wallet is just a convenient place for someone with an AS account to move this value to. Someone without an account (and therefore without a wallet) can use the residual value of the ticket to pay for another ticket directly.
chrisl137 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.