Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Life Time Gold, BA Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Cancelling flight

I have seats booked next month which I got on sale for $50 each. I am 75K and wife has not status.

We cannot now travel and need to cancel them. It looks like if I cancel my ticket without a fee but the wife's $50 ticket costs $125 to cancel!

Is there anyway of cancelling her ticket without paying anything, of course loosing the fare?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:13 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
If you go through the cancellation flow on the website, it will give you several options including ‘cancel the flight now and pay $125 change fee later if you want to use the credit within the next year’. That will cancel the reservation, and obviously you’re under no obligation to later pay $125 to get a $50 Alaska credit.

(The Twitter or phone teams should be able to do that easily as well if you run into any issues)
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
And why bother canceling her ticket? There could be a schedule change whereby you can cancel and get a refund or let her be a no show.
Often1 and channa like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
I have called AS in a similar situation while traveling with family members. I explained to them that I wanted to cancel my ticket and if they wanted to sell the seat, potentially for more money, they can cancel the other tickets for no charge. The CS agent extended the "one time courtesy" and cancelled for free.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DrAlex
The CS agent extended the "one time courtesy" and cancelled for free.
Cancel is always free. It's reusing the ticket value that costs an additional fee.
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
...and then the CS extended me the courtesy of placing the residual value of all of the tickets into my wallet.
​​​​​​
pcoll likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
I have had them cancel or change tickets and waive the fee if the ticket value is less than the $125.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:29 am

changing ticket to a fully refundable fare is free
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by damieniz1
changing ticket to a fully refundable fare is free
However, if you subsequently cancel that ticket you won't get the residual value you had before you changed it to a refundable fare back, so that's not a trick to get around the fee.
Flying for Fun and pbelmore like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unless AS agrees to either refund the value or to permit it to be rebooked without a fee, there is no reason to cancel. If the flight is involuntarily cancelled or substantially delayed, you are then due a full refund to your original form of payment. While this may not be important for $50, as a general matter, it's worth remembering .
channa likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by tonei
If you go through the cancellation flow on the website, it will give you several options including ‘cancel the flight now and pay $125 change fee later if you want to use the credit within the next year’. That will cancel the reservation, and obviously you’re under no obligation to later pay $125 to get a $50 Alaska credit.
Wouldn't pulling a no-show just be easier in this case? The only one who benefits from this is AS who gets to re-sell the seat and hold your $50 hostage for $125 fee.
Heck... if it were someone I knew I'd probably tell them to check-in out of spite just to hold the seat longer - they paid for it.

I realize that the change-fee is really just a punishment to stop speculative bookings & cancellations... but how hard would it be to officially toss your average non-elite customer one freebie a year? Still stops people from 'gaming' the system.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by nearlysober

I realize that the change-fee is really just a punishment to stop speculative bookings & cancellations... but how hard would it be to officially toss your average non-elite customer one freebie a year? Still stops people from 'gaming' the system.
I don't think this fee is there to keep people from making speculative bookings, I think its there simply as a source of ancillary revenue.
DrAlex and Kacee like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS Life Time Gold, BA Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Alaska are fantastic!!! Just called, said we could not travel and would like to cancel. Thanks for being 75K let me sort this out for you. I now have 2 x $50 vouchers in my wallet
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:41 pm

i've already said too much
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nearlysober
Wouldn't pulling a no-show just be easier in this case? The only one who benefits from this is AS who gets to re-sell the seat and hold your $50 hostage for $125 fee.
Heck... if it were someone I knew I'd probably tell them to check-in out of spite just to hold the seat longer - they paid for it.

[...]
No! For a no show the value of the ticket is forfeited, even for a fully refundable Y or F.

James in Capetown
be_rettSEA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.