Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Schedule change (more than 6 hours) but Saver fare - Eligible for refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I've booked a flight for the next September from Honolulu to San Francisco, but the departure has been anticipated from 1035 pm to 340pm (I had no notice about that, I've discovered this fact randomly after a login).
I've called their assistance and they said that I can change the flight for free, but it means that I have to change my plans (shorter holiday) and book an hotel in San Francisco for that night I would have spent in the sky.
Do you think I'm eligible to have a refund, in order to book a different flight? Unfortunately the fare is Saver.

Thanks a lot.
K.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:15 am
Original Poster

I've found this part of Contract of Carriage from their official website:

Rule 8. Liability for Delays, Cancellations, and Denied Boarding

Change in Schedule: Flight schedules are subject to change without notice, and the times shown on Alaska's published schedules, Tickets, timetable and advertising are not guaranteed and form no part of this Contract of Carriage. At times, without prior notice to Passengers, Alaska may need to substitute other aircraft and may change, add, or omit intermediate stops. Alaska cannot guarantee that Passengers will make Connections to other flights by Alaska or by other Carriers. In the event of flight Schedule Changes or service withdrawals, Alaska will attempt to notify affected Passengers as early as possible. Alaska will promptly provide Passengers the best available information regarding known delays, cancellations, misconnections and diversions, but Alaska is not liable for any misstatements or other errors or omissions in connection with providing such information. No employee, agent or representative of Alaska can bind Alaska legally by reason of any statements relating to flight status or other information. When a ticketed, confirmed Passenger will be delayed because of a change in Alaska's schedule as defined in Rule 1 (Schedule Change), Alaska will arrange to:
  1. Transport the Passenger to his/her destination or next ticketed Stopover point on another Alaska flight on which space is available in the same or higher class of service than reflected on the Passenger's Ticket at no additional charge; or
  2. Refund according to Rule 17. Exception 1: When an Alaska Schedule Change results in the cancellation of all Alaska service between two cities, Alaska will reroute Passengers holding confirmed reservations on Alaska between such cities over the lines of one or more other Carriers at no additional cost to the Passenger. Exception 2: Change in schedule does not include Force Majeure Events.

I'm not so good with the American law and I'm not a native English speaker as well...
What do you say?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
U.S. Department of Transportation rules say that you can get a refund to original form of payment - without fees - for a significant schedule change. Just call and ask for a refund.
missamo80 and icelandman2 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
You can get a refund to the original form of payment under those circumstances.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Before you do that, though, ask if they'll reroute you on the overnight HNL-SEA flight at 9:20pm and continue onto SFO from there.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much!
I've called them and they said that I'll be refounded

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.