Wiki Posts
Search

Late December MVP nomination failed

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by nsx
Given the end of year sucker punch to elite members who buy low fares I'm VERY happy that was not possible.
I knew it was coming from the noises emerging from ALK corporate HQ but shot for MVPG anyways: burned my AS miles aggressively, use MVPG to match, sample some airlines with things like A-List. 2019 will be fine (enough burning that it will be hard to get status anywhere), and at present 2020 looks like a bias to WN but being pretty much a free agent- AS will be on the list but it's going to be hard to shoot for status if low fares put me in Penalty Class.
jinglish likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Yep that is why, as soon as nsx lost 75K status, the gifted MVP status ends. Its not 1 year from nomination date.
So, this year, if a person qualifies for 75K, the nominee will retain MVP for the rest of this year and next, since the qualifier does too? Can the MVP nominee be anyone, or must it be a family relation of some kind?

Thanks.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by Visconti
So, this year, if a person qualifies for 75K, the nominee will retain MVP for the rest of this year and next, since the qualifier does too? Can the MVP nominee be anyone, or must it be a family relation of some kind?

Thanks.
it can be anyone. A college friend nominated me one year.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:04 am

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
It is unclear to me. If I nominate someone for MVP status, can I renominate them as soon as I get status for the next year or do I have to wait until January 1 of each year to renominate them?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by nsx
On or around Christmas Day I nominated a family member for MVP. (I had 75K status last year from a match. This year I am MVP.)

Nothing has happened for a full month, so I phoned Alaska. The one person I have spoken to so far said that nomination status lasts only for the current calendar year, so my family member wasn't supposed to get anything from an end of year nomination. Really? The online nomination form at https://www.alaskaair.com/mileageplan/mvpnomination says no such thing.

I don't mind having waited a full month, but refusing the request and not even responding to it until I finally phoned them is poor customer service.

Recommendations?
There was a thread about this updated in the last month or two. From your description, it sounds like the nomination would not be valid, as the nominated status expires when the member’s status drops, and you said you are now MVP.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:17 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Gold 1MM (the unfriendly sky), Marriott Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz no longer
You can nominate as MVP in the year you have 75k status.
If your status was 75k for 2019 but didn't get renewed as 75k for 2020, you cannot nominate anybody as MVP for 2020. Nominating at the end of December before you lose your status doesn't work!
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I qualified for Gold75k in 2018 and didn't nominate someone for MVP until late December 2019 and my wife's account still shows she's MVP now, even though she didn't qualify and only way was my nomination.

I don't think I burned my 2020 nomination, but I guess we'll see when I go to nominate someone else.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:43 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Nevsky
It is unclear to me. If I nominate someone for MVP status, can I renominate them as soon as I get status for the next year or do I have to wait until January 1 of each year to renominate them?
I don’t think you need to wait until Jan 1, but to be safe I wouldn’t do it before October (which is traditionally the point at which status matches in the current year are good for the next calendar year).
Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that the key is that the nominating member has to be 75k for the duration of the mvp status.

So there is a difference between nominating someone just before your status expires, and nominating someone when you have already earned status for the following year (in the very worst case you could always re-nominate them in January)
Old Oct 27, 2022, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Just following up on this a few years later....if you nominate someone in December, they only get MVP status through the end of the calendar year (which in this case would be December)--is that still how it's been working?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.