Late December MVP nomination failed

Old Jan 28, 19, 7:03 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist Lite; United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Late December MVP nomination failed

On or around Christmas Day I nominated a family member for MVP. (I had 75K status last year from a match. This year I am MVP.)

Nothing has happened for a full month, so I phoned Alaska. The one person I have spoken to so far said that nomination status lasts only for the current calendar year, so my family member wasn't supposed to get anything from an end of year nomination. Really? The online nomination form at https://www.alaskaair.com/mileageplan/mvpnomination says no such thing.

I don't mind having waited a full month, but refusing the request and not even responding to it until I finally phoned them is poor customer service.

Recommendations?
Old Jan 28, 19, 7:11 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
I don’t recall exactly but I didn’t think match MVPG 75K included the gift MVP nomination.
Old Jan 28, 19, 7:50 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist Lite; United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by sea_jeff View Post
I dont recall exactly but I didnt think match MVPG 75K included the gift MVP nomination.
The status match page does not exclude this benefit. Furthermore, it showed up as a benefit in my account. I logged in and navigated to the simple nomination form. I filled it out. Done deal, I thought.
Old Jan 28, 19, 8:08 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
The status match page does not exclude this benefit. Furthermore, it showed up as a benefit in my account. I logged in and navigated to the simple nomination form. I filled it out. Done deal, I thought.
Sounds like youd have a pretty solid case. Documented benefit in the account and a submission while 75K. Good luck!

Old Jan 28, 19, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
But isn't status just good for the calendar year? So if you nominated on Dec 25, status would only be good through Dec 31. Since it takes a few days to process, I can see how it could have gotten missed completely; still no excuse for completely dropping the ball or failing to reach out to see if you wanted it to apply to 2019.
thegingninj likes this.
Old Jan 28, 19, 8:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL PM, New Sagaya
Nomination is just for the calendar year it is made within. So unfortunately, a December nomination only lasts a month at the most. I agree the web form is pretty silent on this, I've never been 75K so not sure if the mailed materials are clear. I have been on the receiving end of a nomination and it was just for the calendar year I was nominated for.
missamo80 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 19, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton View Post
But isn't status just good for the calendar year?
Yup - at odds with basically all other status durations.
Old Jan 28, 19, 9:45 pm

OP,

Looks like a losing position to me.

On one hand, nominated on the last month of the year. If processed immediately, then it would last until the end of that month.

On the other hand, I've been informed it can take a few weeks to process the nomination. You nominated someone as a 75K (achieved on a status match). However the amount of qualifying flying during the year resulted in your status dropping to MVP. Presumably that status drop was before your nomination would have been looked at/processed.

I don't like it but it is set up as a "nomination" and not set up as a negotiable gift certificate. So as 75K you had an invitation to nominate someone. Nominating someone implies the final decision to grant that person MVP is not guaranteed nor in your control.
bmvaughn likes this.
Old Jan 28, 19, 10:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I nominated a fellow family member in late 2018 as well for MVP. In early 2019 they dropped down to no status.

Just checked, and they are MVP again.

I did qualify for G75K last year however. MVP status follows that of the nominator, and their elite year.
Old Jan 29, 19, 10:18 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Manoa Chris View Post
Yup - at odds with basically all other status durations.
Yeah, its kind of annoying. As soon as I requalified for 75K in December I submitted my MVP nomination, but it still didnt go through before my wifes first flight of the year on Jan 3. Why they dont just let the previous years status go until Jan 31 like most other airlines is beyond me.
Old Jan 29, 19, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by milypan View Post
Yeah, its kind of annoying. As soon as I requalified for 75K in December I submitted my MVP nomination, but it still didnt go through before my wifes first flight of the year on Jan 3. Why they dont just let the previous years status go until Jan 31 like most other airlines is beyond me.
They could also be not super easy on status matches like most other USA-based airlines and enforce challenges in order to match, they could award RDM based on spend like most other USA-based airlines, have a spend-based status component like most other USA-based airlines...
be_rettSEA and ashill like this.
Old Jan 29, 19, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
(I had 75K status last year from a match. This year I am MVP.)
Curious why you didn't requalify. I did a status match from AA two years back and Alaska has worked out well.
Old Jan 29, 19, 1:45 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
They could also be not super easy on status matches like most other USA-based airlines and enforce challenges in order to match, they could award RDM based on spend like most other USA-based airlines, have a spend-based status component like most other USA-based airlines...
I don't consider them easier to match to, but that's subjective. I do understand why they can still be RDM/EQM (i.e. no EQD) based, relative to US3. But I don't understand the advantage of not having a one month grace period, especially since it can take over a week to get mileage credit and have a status sweep (or even longer if you're flying on partners). It's not a big deal, but there are some clear edge cases that could be avoided with the Jan 31 expiration.
Old Jan 29, 19, 2:07 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Curious why you didn't requalify. I did a status match from AA two years back and Alaska has worked out well.
The extensive long-haul business travel I had anticipated for 2018 did not materialize. Instead I had one QF round trip and a handful of short-haul AS flights. If AS flew LAX-OAK I could have made a serious run to renew 75K on flight count. Given the end of year sucker punch to elite members who buy low fares I'm VERY happy that was not possible.
Old Jan 29, 19, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
MVP status follows that of the nominator, and their elite year.
Yep that is why, as soon as nsx lost 75K status, the gifted MVP status ends. Its not 1 year from nomination date.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: