Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Excited about my first international rewards redemption! (Tips Needed!)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 7K, MARRIOTT PLAT PREMIER WITH AMBASSADOR

Hello All!

So I have been top level with Alaska for several years now last year flew 81,000 miles on AS. I have quite frankly always been an idiot with my points and redeemed them here and there with no strategy to it and while I have been to 48 states I have only been to another country ONCE and that was Mexico.

After joining here and doing some research I realized I could redeemd a 1st class emirates flight in one of their enclosed suites normally goes for about $21,000 each leg of the trip for one hundred and fifty thousand Alaska miles. Like many of of flying first class on emirates and upper class on Virgin atlantic has always been a dream of mine. I really dont care much about Dubai or London to be honest but I have spent hundreds of hours watching youtube videos of these flights!

Today I booked my first class emirates flight leaving LAX on February 23rd, with a layover in Washington DC then first class from DC to Dubai. I was originally planning to fly coach on the way back but I realized I could use my 100,000 AMEX points for an upper class ticket on Virgin Atlantic! (Im honestly feeling pretty smart right now lol), so after taxes fees and a slight extra points purchase I am getting about $41K worth of flight cost for $800 bucks.

I am only on the ground in Dubai for 3 and a half hours before my flight on Virgin so I am literally only doing this for the flights and lounges although I do have a 21 hour overnight layover in London on the way back.

Any tips that you have on London, or Dubai lounges or anything else I should know or do on this trip I would be very thankful!
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: AS
Once you arrive in Dubai,you should spend time enjoying the Lounges. You would need a visa to go out of the airport and explore the city. We were really amazed by the sheer size and offerings at the Emirates Lounges. We flew Business (HKG-LAX) but were allowed a quick peek in the F lounge. as with most EK flights there is an overnight in Dubai. We were able to get one of the sleeping rooms in Lounge.
The lounges take up the entire second floor of Terminal. So many food offerings and treats. Showers also available. Hopefully you can access these as an arriving passenger. The Terminal itself is also amazing. Looks more like a shopping mall than an airport. High end shops and gourmet foods. Opening to gates are very unobtrusive.
I agree that flying Emirates should be on everyones bucket list.
Our next Award trip is this March to Barcelona. One week stopover in London. Not sure where to go for 21 hour layover. Perhaps some kind of "taxi tour" of the city.
Good Luck on your adventure.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If this is what you want to use your miles for, that's fine. Personally, I enjoy visiting places and the world and I think you are missing out by just enjoying the flights and lounges and not the cities. But that's just personal preference of course.

I'd be very concerned about that 3.5 hrs before returning on a separate ticket. What's VS' no show policy on award flights? Any significant inbound delay (which would not be unusual for a flight leaving the Northeast part of the US in winter) and you could have some real issues there.

The first class EK lounge in Dubai is massive (it's more of a terminal than a lounge). 3.5hr is nowhere near enough time, IMO. Do you get access on arrival? I've used it when connecting in Dubai but I don't know their arrival policy.

If possible I'd move your VS flights forward at least a day. It protects you in case of inbound delay and it allows you to to enjoy the lounge for longer (again, assuming that you get access on arrival).
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If this is what you want to use your miles for, that's fine. Personally, I enjoy visiting places and the world and I think you are missing out by just enjoying the flights and lounges and not the cities. But that's just personal preference of course.

I'd be very concerned about that 3.5 hrs before returning on a separate ticket. What's VS' no show policy on award flights? Any significant inbound delay (which would not be unusual for a flight leaving the Northeast part of the US in winter) and you could have some real issues there.

The first class EK lounge in Dubai is massive (it's more of a terminal than a lounge). 3.5hr is nowhere near enough time, IMO. Do you get access on arrival? I've used it when connecting in Dubai but I don't know their arrival policy.

If possible I'd move your VS flights forward at least a day. It protects you in case of inbound delay and it allows you to to enjoy the lounge for longer (again, assuming that you get access on arrival).
I agree. Besides being out all those Amex points and the hefty cost of a walk-up return flight if you somehow miss that turn at DXB, why not take the opportunity to spend even a day or two exploring somewhere halfway across the planet? You're already there.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pcoll
You would need a visa to go out of the airport and explore the city
He needs a visa anyway if he is checking bags.

Although with only 3.5 hr, checking bags seems like a very bad idea.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Yeah it was not by choice entirely. There was only one date in February where VS would allow me to get upper class with points so I tried to book it around that. I would’ve booked my Emirates flight a day earlier but I have a critical meeting here the 22nd so I didn’t have many options. You guys might be right though that’s cutting it close I would’ve ideally liked at least one full day in Dubai. I might try rescheduling my meeting and move the Emirates flights back a day - do you guys know he policy on making changes on reward redemptions like this? I booked it about two hours ago so I’m still within 24 hours if that helps me at all.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

And yes I won’t check any bags for sure. Thank y’all for your help on this that’s why I need this site!
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:39 pm

He needs a visa anyway if he is checking bags.
Did something change about UAE visa requirements? Because when I visited US citizens got a free thirty-day visa on arrival.
Originally Posted by StephanP37
Yeah it was not by choice entirely. There was only one date in February where VS would allow me to get upper class with points so I tried to book it around that. I would’ve booked my Emirates flight a day earlier but I have a critical meeting here the 22nd so I didn’t have many options. You guys might be right though that’s cutting it close I would’ve ideally liked at least one full day in Dubai. I might try rescheduling my meeting and move the Emirates flights back a day - do you guys know he policy on making changes on reward redemptions like this? I booked it about two hours ago so I’m still within 24 hours if that helps me at all.
Free changes up to departure of your first segment if you're a Gold or 75K.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jinglish
Did something change about UAE visa requirements? Because when I visited US citizens got a free thirty-day visa on arrival.
Visa on arrival is still a visa. If you're not leaving the airport or picking up bags you don't even need that.

I've never done the visa on arrival thing so I don't know how long it takes (including time waiting in line). It's more about time than money.

Free changes up to departure of your first segment if you're a Gold or 75K.
Yup!
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Ok thanks all so to clarify I know I can change the Alaska portion but you think I can change the Emirates (second leg) portion too? I’m going to take y’alls advice and book it a day earlier if I can so I have more time in Dubai. Might as well make it count, which leads me to my next question then if I’m able to do that where would you stay and dine in Dubai if you only had one night?
spamman808 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok thanks all so to clarify I know I can change the Alaska portion but you think I can change the Emirates (second leg) portion too? I’m going to take y’alls advice and book it a day earlier if I can so I have more time in Dubai. Might as well make it count, which leads me to my next question then if I’m able to do that where would you stay and dine in Dubai if you only had one night?
You can change the whole thing. I've done it a few times. There has to be award space available of course.

As for where to go in Dubai, I just connected there (I didn't stop) so I can't really comment on that.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:53 pm

I stayed in Al Rigga, on the airport side of the creek, and thought it was an interesting part of the city to stay in--less glitz, more middle-class. I had an excellent Thanksgiving dinner at a Lebanese restaurant called Al Hallab, a short walk from the GGICO metro station.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Visa on arrival is still a visa. If you're not leaving the airport or picking up bags you don't even need that.
I've never done the visa on arrival thing so I don't know how long it takes (including time waiting in line). It's more about time than money.
If arriving via Emirates F with priority line, <5 minutes. <2 if you can walk faster than the other F pax. You'll definitely spend more time walking than standing in line at that airport!
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DrAlex
If arriving via Emirates F with priority line, <5 minutes. <2 if you can walk faster than the other F pax. You'll definitely spend more time walking than standing in line at that airport!
I have been through UAE enough times that I habe e-gate access at both DXB & AUH. With the 2020 World's Exposition in DXB next year they have been actively preparing for increased tourism.

James
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:38 am

Hi Stephan,
I work in DXB airport. Couple of things to be aware of. Virgin departs out of a separate terminal to Emirates. There is transfer buses between terminal 1 & 3 but I don't think they're airside so you would still need to pass through immigration (which as noted above is very rarely a lengthy process in comparison to most other large airports I've been in).
As for where to stay if you can stretch out your flights, as a tourist the "hotspot" is generally downtown in the region of the Burj Khalifa. In saying that, anywhere near a metro station is fine as its cheap and easy to get to the Khalifa on the metro system.
The Khalifa is also attached to the worlds largest mall with plenty of options to eat as well as all the surrounding hotels. Just depends what interests you!
The weather here at that time of the year is also great so beach clubs etc are a nice alternative if you prefer sun and sand to shopping malls.

Cheers,
Cs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.