FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Excited about my first international rewards redemption! (Tips Needed!)
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:19 pm
jinglish

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If this is what you want to use your miles for, that's fine. Personally, I enjoy visiting places and the world and I think you are missing out by just enjoying the flights and lounges and not the cities. But that's just personal preference of course.

I'd be very concerned about that 3.5 hrs before returning on a separate ticket. What's VS' no show policy on award flights? Any significant inbound delay (which would not be unusual for a flight leaving the Northeast part of the US in winter) and you could have some real issues there.

The first class EK lounge in Dubai is massive (it's more of a terminal than a lounge). 3.5hr is nowhere near enough time, IMO. Do you get access on arrival? I've used it when connecting in Dubai but I don't know their arrival policy.

If possible I'd move your VS flights forward at least a day. It protects you in case of inbound delay and it allows you to to enjoy the lounge for longer (again, assuming that you get access on arrival).
I agree. Besides being out all those Amex points and the hefty cost of a walk-up return flight if you somehow miss that turn at DXB, why not take the opportunity to spend even a day or two exploring somewhere halfway across the planet? You're already there.