FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   The Fed shutdown and TSA lines. What’s your experience? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1949721-fed-shutdown-tsa-lines-what-s-your-experience.html)

KnownasEric Jan 15, 2019 12:14 pm

SEA
CheckPoint 4 PreCheck Only
1/14
5:00AM
30 minutes - the line was the largest I've ever seen.

Xrayman Jan 15, 2019 1:04 pm

Are TSA employees permitted to accept gift cards such as Starbucks???

be_rettSEA Jan 15, 2019 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Xrayman (Post 30658415)
Are TSA employees permitted to accept gift cards such as Starbucks???

A quick primer on ethics rules regarding receiving gifts that apply to all federal employees: https://www2.oge.gov/Web/oge.nsf/Res...utside+Sources

While technically, they could accept a gift valued less than $20, as the page notes "employees should consider declining gifts when they believe that their integrity or impartiality would be questioned if they were to accept the gift." I'd say TSOs are likely to decline all gifts from passengers for this reason, as a reasonable person could question whether or not the officer was truly impartial in their screening based on receiving a gift from a passenger. Feel free to try though. Under current circumstances, they may be willing to make an exception, especially if presented following clearance into the secure area. Worst case, you could offer the gift card to a flight attendant or pass along to anyone else instead.

JPat Jan 16, 2019 1:32 am

STS on 1/15 @ 5:15PM, no lines of people queuing up. Four minutes thru the whole process, appeared to be fully staffed.

CaliforniaSteve Jan 16, 2019 6:58 am

Airport: SFO
Terminal: 2
Date: 1/14/19
Time: 1130AM
TSA Pre-Check: Yes

Walked right up. Took 20 seconds. Non-Pre looked very short as well. SFO uses contract workers, not Fed employees. I’ve only had a relatively long line at SFO once. That was for a JAL flight and they aren’t in Pre-Check. Relatively long at SFO is about ten minutes. Will try to remember to report after my return trip tomorrow.

Klrduks Jan 16, 2019 8:32 am

I did give the TSA agents in EUG a box of See's candy when we were passing through near Christmas. Pre-Shutdown but the supervisor accepted it with a hearty thank you after being quite surprised. I don't think they get that kind of thing very often, even in a small station like EUG with few problems/long lines.

missamo80 Jan 16, 2019 9:44 am

Airport: SEA
Terminal: Main
Time of day: 8:20 AM
Approximate wait time for TSA id check/length of line: < 15 mins
TSA, Priority, Pre: PreCheck

PreCheck was at checkpoint 4, not 5, and there was a healthy line. It was moving pretty quickly but I was glad I had Clear to cut it.

beckoa Jan 16, 2019 1:10 pm

No Pre today- no real line at TSA ORD today. T3 checkpoint.

Did take a few minutes to get thru, but not due to TSA... it was other pax it seemed like.

PABE Jan 16, 2019 3:56 pm

1/16/19 - 7am - SEA
Arrived right as boarding started (as usual) and was greeted by the longest precheck line I've ever seen. The whole queue maze leading to the checkpoint was full including the premium line entrance.

I had signed up for a 6 month trial of Clear a few months ago, so I was through in a minute or two. But it almost made me reconsider my airport departure strategy ;)

EDIT: as missamo pointed out, why does Port of Seattle keep moving the precheck line between 4 & 5 every few months?

VegasGambler Jan 16, 2019 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 30662844)
No Pre today- no real line at TSA ORD today. T3 checkpoint.

Did take a few minutes to get thru, but not due to TSA... it was other pax it seemed like.

Isn't it always other pax in the line? :D

beckoa Jan 16, 2019 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30663559)
Isn't it always other pax in the line? :D

Well, a pax slowdown versus a TSA slowdown.

williwaw Jan 16, 2019 8:46 pm

No line for Precheck at HNL at 11am today. Regular line looked slowish but it was handling a JAL flight.

RaginPlainsman Jan 17, 2019 8:11 am

SEA
Checkpoint 1
6:45 a.m., Thursday, 1/17
9 minutes to get to ID check, with line stretching out to the check in kiosks. 15 minutes total to get through.
TSA Pre

Was going to go to The Club and figured I'd avoid the usual morning zoo on the AS end of the airport so went to Checkpoint 1. Was very surprised by the line, but it moved quickly enough.

Edit: Walled back by at 7:35 am and the line was down to maybe half the capacity of the roped lanes, so I must have just hit a rush.

CaliforniaSteve Jan 17, 2019 7:16 pm

Airport: LAS
Terminal: 3
Time of Day: 8:30AM

TSA Pre-Check was very, very long, and people were complaining that it's been that way pretty regularly. We skipped Pre and went to the regular line. No wait. No shoe removal, no jacket removal, no iPad removal. We were through well before the Pre-Check people that were in that line ahead of us. Total time for us was about 5 minutes.

chrisl137 Jan 17, 2019 8:54 pm

Airport: BUR
Terminal: B
Date: 1/17
Time: 19:30

Fully staffed, one x-ray conveyer going, pre-check lite operating- all normal for this time of day. TSA seem in good spirits- generally friendly, as is typical for BUR