FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   The Fed shutdown and TSA lines. What’s your experience? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1949721-fed-shutdown-tsa-lines-what-s-your-experience.html)

jsguyrus Jan 14, 2019 8:53 am

Airport: JFK
Terminal: 7
Time of day: 0700
Approximate wait time for TSA id check/length of line: 5 minutes
TSA, Priority, Pre?: Precheck

ftmsb Jan 14, 2019 1:49 pm

Airport: SEA
Terminal: Checkpoint 4
Time of day: 1/13/19 at 11:30 am
Approximate wait time for TSA id check/length of line: No wait for ID check, scan took 2-3 minutes due to someone travelling with a block of cheese that needed extra scrutiny.
TSA, Priority, Pre?: Pre-check

Xrayman Jan 14, 2019 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by ftmsb (Post 30654266)
Airport: SEA
Terminal: Checkpoint 4
Time of day: 1/13/19 at 11:30 am
Approximate wait time for TSA id check/length of line: No wait for ID check, scan took 2-3 minutes due to someone travelling with a block of cheese that needed extra scrutiny.

SEA
TSA precheck line
About 10:30 am
10 minutes total

rill2503456 Jan 14, 2019 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by TheotherJames (Post 30651372)
I flew out of SEA yesterday and was prepared to mention to all the TSA members I met that I appreciate them being here. An older TSA individual who was working the line said they were getting paid because Washington State politicians used separate funds to pay the TSA workers. I have no idea if that was true but had no reason to not believe it. During my flight, the FA's were saying that SFO was the worst but I wasn't sure if they mean just in general or because of the shutdown.

I've read that SFO security is done primarily by contractors, not the TSA, so I would imagine they're just talking about the airport (and its ever-present fog-based delays).

rustykettel Jan 14, 2019 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by rill2503456 (Post 30654435)
I've read that SFO security is done primarily by contractors, not the TSA,

Yes, as mentioned upthread. Covenant Aviation Security handles the screening. They wear the same basic uniform but their shoulder tabs are CAS instead of TSA.

Covenant - About Us

be_rettSEA Jan 14, 2019 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by TheotherJames (Post 30651372)
I flew out of SEA yesterday and was prepared to mention to all the TSA members I met that I appreciate them being here. An older TSA individual who was working the line said they were getting paid because Washington State politicians used separate funds to pay the TSA workers. I have no idea if that was true but had no reason to not believe it. During my flight, the FA's were saying that SFO was the worst but I wasn't sure if they mean just in general or because of the shutdown.

That doesn't make much sense (WA lawmakers don't/can't fund federal agency work), and doesn't jive with reports like this. Perhaps he was a Port of Seattle employee vs TSA or something?

brentyb Jan 14, 2019 5:51 pm

No issues at PDX or LAX today

boycruz Jan 14, 2019 7:30 pm

SEA
1/14/19
Term B Southwest
3pm
less than 2 minutes

TheotherJames Jan 14, 2019 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA (Post 30654595)
That doesn't make much sense (WA lawmakers don't/can't fund federal agency work), and doesn't jive with reports like this. Perhaps he was a Port of Seattle employee vs TSA or something?

Agreed, but that is what he said. He appeared to have all the usual TSA badges and uniform but maybe I wasn't paying attention and the Port guys have similar uniforms?

beckoa Jan 15, 2019 2:39 am

No lines at ANC tonight, 10:45 PM. Was in Pre, but also applied to the other lines too. ^

This seems rather overhyped overall.

mtnsider Jan 15, 2019 4:03 am

JFK

Airport: JFK 1/15
Terminal: 7
Time of day: 04:45
Approximate wait time for TSA id check/length of line: 8 minutes
Not a separate pre-check line except for ID check. Operation not too organized.

wonderlaw Jan 15, 2019 6:52 am

SeaTac 1/15/2019 0530 Main Terminal NO PREMIUM

20 to 25 minute wait. No Pre Check today :-( Also, both premium lanes (1 & 3) blocked. TSA agent says no more premium lanes (but other security screeners surprised to hear that). AS check in agents clueless about premium lane availability.

wonderlaw Jan 15, 2019 6:55 am

Originally Posted by wonderlaw (Post 30656915)
20 to 25 minute wait. No pre check today :-( also, both premium lanes (1 & 3) blocked. Tsa agent says no more premium lanes (but other security screeners surprised to hear that). As check in agents clueless about premium lane availability.

make that 1/2 an hour

Westcoaster Jan 15, 2019 11:53 am

SEA
Checkpoint 4 Precheck only
1/15
9:45 am
Less than 5 minutes start to finish

PaperGlider Jan 15, 2019 12:10 pm

So far still no noticeable widespread issues. And I have not seen this level of friendliness from passengers towards the TSA workers. Even a thanks with a pat on the back, literally.