FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   The Fed shutdown and TSA lines. What’s your experience? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1949721-fed-shutdown-tsa-lines-what-s-your-experience.html)

JPat Jan 7, 2019 1:55 pm

The Fed shutdown and TSA lines. What’s your experience?

News story are popping up about delays getting thru airport security. A Seattle area News Media site quoted one unnamed source to plan on arriving five hours early!
If that is the situation this week our idea is to cancel our trip this Friday out of SEA.
What’s been your recent experience around Alaska Airlines network?
Please note your experiences here.
Thanks in advance,
JP

DaveH Jan 7, 2019 1:59 pm

Was just going to post the same question. Also wondering if having TSA-PRE should help much, given checkpoint 5 being all PRE for the last several months...

The owner of our favorite parking lot at SEA tells me she's not getting any negative feedback from guests, attributing that to the slow season,

I have Wednesday MR that I'd cancel if the wait were unusually long.

brownnet Jan 7, 2019 2:02 pm

It appears they have made changes to "help" things again... Saturday morning Checkpoint 5 had reverted to a regular entry, and PreCheck was ONLY at 1 and 4. Checkpoint 4 was pretty slow. The staffing was average, but only two lanes were open. This was about 9AM.

I don't know if the Checkpoint 5 change is permanent or was only on the weekend, but I was surprised to see it.

T2A Jan 7, 2019 2:06 pm

No TSA issues at all from what I've experienced. Flew right before New Years and the lines were long but moving fast. I have three flights out SeaTac this week and will post back if anything changes.

Xrayman Jan 7, 2019 2:11 pm

No issues at SeaTac today 1/7/19 at 10:00 am st TSA precheck C/D gates.

crjtraveler Jan 7, 2019 2:11 pm

I flew yesterday (Sunday) afternoon from SEA and the only lines I experienced we're at the Alaska Check-In desks. TSA pre check was empty and maybe 15 people queued in the non precheck line. I think as of right now the wait time issue is overhyped.

nearlysober Jan 7, 2019 2:17 pm

Heading to Vegas this weekend so I've been keeping an eye on things.
Right now, it's hard to tell if there's a real story here or if its just being sensationalized because it makes for "good news".

I've read multiple times over the last few days that "sick" rate of TSA agents nearly doubled... but I haven't seen any year-over-year comparison. Is that normal this time of year? Kids are out of school, buses and public transport might be running holiday schedules, its cold & flu season, you may have relatives visiting and sneak in a sick day to hang out, or you may have celebrated the holidays a bit too hard?

Maybe a sick spike is normal at the end of December and start of January?

I also am sure there's at least a couple folks who are upset with the situation and calling in sick as a sort of passive protest. And the longer it goes on the more likely people will get fed up and refuse to work, or slow down work, or just walk off the job. But for now, I recall reading that the TSA Union has no coordinated "sick out" or "slow down" protest going.

I'll just plan to get to the airport much earlier than normal and if I get through security quick, that's just more time to drink at the lounge :)

PaperGlider Jan 7, 2019 3:26 pm

Some standardization would help

Airport:
Terminal:
Time of day:
Approximate wait time for TSA id check/length of line:
TSA, Priority, Pre?:

I'll report later today.

icelandman2 Jan 7, 2019 4:50 pm

Yesterday at SEA 12:30PM Precheck line was less than 5 minutes. Regular looked to be about 15.

StevieTopSiders Jan 7, 2019 6:13 pm

Sunday

Airport: SEA
Terminal: Main
Time of day: 9AM
Approximate wait time for TSA id check/length of line: 2min
TSA, Priority, Pre?: Precheck

Monday

Airport: ORD
Terminal: 3
Time of day: 5:30PM
Approximate wait time for TSA id check/length of line: 0min (encouraged to use 2/3 empty x-ray lines)
TSA, Priority, Pre?: Pre

hsawtelle Jan 7, 2019 6:38 pm

Monday 1/7/19

Airport: LAS
Terminal: 3
Time of day: 9:00am
Approximate wait time for TSA id check/length of line: <1 minute, < 5 people in line

spamman808 Jan 7, 2019 6:52 pm

Flew SEA-OGG on Sunday with my wife. TSA precheck line was fine. It took us less time to get through that than it took to check in with AS at the elite counter.

BW Flyer Jan 7, 2019 7:38 pm

Monday 1/7/19, Seatac, 5:20 AM, Pre-check (check point #1 Cruise ship check point??), Wait time for less than 5 min. It was early so it might help.

PaperGlider Jan 7, 2019 8:00 pm

LAX
Terminal 6
6pm
No Line. 0 minutes
Pre was walk right up and regular did not have any noticeable lines.

marysia Jan 7, 2019 9:00 pm

Airport: DEN
Terminal: C
Time of day: 1/6/19 18:00
Approximate wait time for TSA id check/length of line: 3 minutes
TSA, Priority, Pre?: TSA pre-check

PaperGlider Jan 7, 2019 9:06 pm

7 January 2019, summary condition GREEN

with LAS, SEA, LAX, ORD, DEN reporting in.

Conclusion: no widespread failures of TSA to keep up with lines.

Will see if things change tomorrow.

VegasGambler Jan 7, 2019 9:50 pm

SFO. Who are these TSA people you are all talking about?

UAPremierExec Jan 7, 2019 11:11 pm

I posted this in the MVPG 75K Facebook group, but will be "nicer".

While the gvt is "shut down", workers who are affected will only receive snap-back pay for actual hours worked. If you call out sick, you aren't marked sick (because all types of leave are suspended), you are marked on "furlough" which can add some complications to your job status. So, its unpaid. Those out on FMLA, vacation, extended sick, etc leaves - get absolutely nothing when the snapback is approved by Congress.

Also, government workers apparently can't strike. So a walk out is considered a strike, and from a friend that's a union rep for air traffic, said its super bad news and means the government can fire them.

I'm not sure those who are calling out "sick' and aren't... are not very smart individuals.

beckoa Jan 8, 2019 1:13 am

From ADN:

Originally Posted by adn.com
Transportation Safety Administration officials last week said there was a rise in “sick outs” from employees at airports around the country.
The shutdown has had “no impact in operations” at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport and Fairbanks International Airport, said Department of Transportation and Public Facilities spokeswoman Meadow Bailey.“Not seeing delays due to staffing shortages, nothing like that,” she said Monday.

davem4 Jan 8, 2019 8:55 am

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec (Post 30625770)
While the gvt is "shut down", workers who are affected will only receive snap-back pay for actual hours worked. If you call out sick, you aren't marked sick (because all types of leave are suspended), you are marked on "furlough" which can add some complications to your job status. So, its unpaid. Those out on FMLA, vacation, extended sick, etc leaves - get absolutely nothing when the snapback is approved by Congress.

Sucks if you booked a vacation before the shutdown. Now you are off but not getting paid :-(

be_rettSEA Jan 8, 2019 9:08 am

Originally Posted by davem4 (Post 30627263)
Sucks if you booked a vacation before the shutdown. Now you are off but not getting paid :-(

All previously scheduled leave is cancelled in the event of a shutdown. If you're deemed "essential" and required to work, you go to work without pay. If you're furloughed instead, you can still go on vacation if you want, but you're also not paid for the time. In addition, any "outside employment" still requires approval by agency ethics officers.

A friend of mine had family vacation scheduled for the holidays, was told to report to work after the shutdown (so vacation was cancelled), is working daily without pay, and has been told by agency ethics folks that driving for Uber is not approved. In all likelihood, most feds will end up getting back-pay for missed time when this is all said and done, but it still doesn't make it any less ridiculous. And it doesn't help the thousands of contractors (particularly those in low-wage roles) that won't get anything back.

dmodemd Jan 8, 2019 9:30 am

Time of day: Mon. Jan 7, 3PM
Approximate wait time for TSA id check/length of line: 0 Min.
TSA, Priority, Pre?: Pre-Check

3 lanes of Pre-Check running at Checkpoint 4, sometimes idle. No wait... I didn't even have enough time to get my ID out or get my stuff ready for X-Ray.

T2A Jan 8, 2019 5:43 pm

Time of day: Mon. Jan 7, 2 pm
Approximate wait time for TSA id check/length of line: 0 Min.
TSA, Priority, Pre?: TSA

No lines at all in regular, priority or premium.

pbelmore Jan 8, 2019 5:53 pm

New ST Article - No Change at SEA

Heads up:

Five hours early to the airport? No, says Sea-Tac, shutdown hasn’t slowed security lines

Since federal employees’ furlough began Dec. 22, the longest security line so far has taken one hour to get through, and at some points, it’s taken 30 to 45 minutes, Cooper said. However, “the average amount of time it’s taking to get through security checkpoints is 4-12 minutes, which is about what it usually is.”

Employees of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), who are working without pay during the shutdown, have reportedly been calling in sick more frequently since the shutdown began. TSA union officials have said that’s caused delays at some airports; Cooper said Sea-Tac isn’t one of them.

The Port expects that could change after Friday, when the 2,000 federal employees who work at the airport will miss their first paycheck if the government is still shut down, Port of Seattle Commission President Stephanie Bowman said in a telephone interview Tuesday.
Nothing to see here...yet.

finlandia Jan 8, 2019 10:38 pm

No issues at HNL, PDX, or DCA. Did notice that B terminal @ DCA had one ID checker instead of the usual two.

Like the PoS person said, next week could get ugly. People have bills to pay and junior feds in major cities can't absorb this for too long.

DaveH Jan 9, 2019 8:14 am

Time of day: Wed. Jan 9, 6:30 am
All checkpoints listed as < 15 minutes
1 & 4 are TSA pre only, rest are mixed

I chose 4, not bothering to check if the line at 1 was shorter (strongly suspect it was). There was a significant but fast moving line. Was through in approx 10-12 minutes. I had some items that sometimes set off scanners, e.g. 2 oz of guacamole for a snack. Was mildly surprised to be whisked right through.

JPat Jan 10, 2019 5:45 pm

Just kicking this up to the top of the board in hopes of getting a few more data points before our flight from SEA tomorrow afternoon.
J

osubeavers01 Jan 10, 2019 7:03 pm

Precheck at PDX around 9am this morning was one of the shortest lines I’ve seen in months. The TSA agents were also very friendly and upbeat. When I arrived in DCA (5:30ish pm), the security lines also looked to be very short and there were several TSA agents just standing around looking bored (atypical from what I usually see there at this time of day)

makfan Jan 11, 2019 3:06 pm

Wait time at SFO yesterday around 2:30 pm T2 was normal or below. Maybe 7-8 people in front of me at TSA Pre. 2 Xray belts open, so once I got past the ID I was through in less than a minute. Definitely less than 5 minutes from getting in line to being cleared.

pushmyredbutton Jan 11, 2019 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by makfan (Post 30642802)
Wait time at SFO yesterday around 2:30 pm T2 was normal or below. Maybe 7-8 people in front of me at TSA Pre. 2 Xray belts open, so once I got past the ID I was through in less than a minute. Definitely less than 5 minutes from getting in line to being cleared.

Are airports like SFO even affected since they don’t use TSA screeners?

beckoa Jan 11, 2019 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton (Post 30642985)

Was wondering this myself... they are a contractor however.

PaperGlider Jan 11, 2019 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton (Post 30642985)

That would depend on the contracting company. Mostly on the contractor's ability to weather delays in payments from their customer(s). For instance, if they have the reserves or ability to raise cash to make payroll, everything could roll on nominally with the contracting company acting as the buffer between Federal payments and their payroll checks.

We will see. I'll report on SFO soon.

JPat Jan 12, 2019 12:05 am

Easy.

1/11 @ SEA appx 1:15PM used the northern gateway that leads to the trains & D gates. Appx five minutes from ID to examination.
i guess the slow week after 1/1 is minimizing the disruption for now.

chrisl137 Jan 12, 2019 12:42 am

Originally Posted by PaperGlider (Post 30643752)
That would depend on the contracting company. Mostly on the contractor's ability to weather delays in payments from their customer(s). For instance, if they have the reserves or ability to raise cash to make payroll, everything could roll on nominally with the contracting company acting as the buffer between Federal payments and their payroll checks.

We will see. I'll report on SFO soon.

Isn't the point of having them that they're contracted by SFO, rather than the federal government, and have to work to federal standards but they get paid by the airport? Any federal reviewers or auditors might not be working, but their contract should be all from the airport owner (city and county for SFO). The airport owner might get federal subsidies to cover some of the screening contractor costs, but I'd be very surprised if bigger ones like SFO couldn't cover the shortfall for quite a while.

tatterdema Jan 12, 2019 6:43 am

Went thru TSA PRE @ SEA on Sunday 1/6 @ 8:30am, and it was moving very very fast. They told us to put away our boarding passes, and they were just checking ID. Was a first for me, and I am curious if they were doing the same in the regular TSA lines. The regular lines were long, but I could not see how fast they were moving.

bosca418 Jan 12, 2019 7:57 am

@sea Checkpoints 2-4 were crazy busy this morning. I was directed to go to checkpoint 1 (precheck only) and it was wide open.

williwaw Jan 12, 2019 11:09 am

One agent working Pre-Check at PDX but quick ID check. Slower line at scanner due to rookie moves....

Aliquot Jan 12, 2019 11:13 am

Originally Posted by chrisl137 (Post 30644340)
Isn't the point of having them that they're contracted by SFO, rather than the federal government, and have to work to federal standards but they get paid by the airport? Any federal reviewers or auditors might not be working, but their contract should be all from the airport owner (city and county for SFO). The airport owner might get federal subsidies to cover some of the screening contractor costs, but I'd be very surprised if bigger ones like SFO couldn't cover the shortfall for quite a while.

No, TSA contracts with the private firms, not the airports. I dont know how often TSA pays the contractors, but once they miss a payment I an sure we will be hearing about them too.

chrisl137 Jan 12, 2019 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Aliquot (Post 30645800)
No, TSA contracts with the private firms, not the airports. I dont know how often TSA pays the contractors, but once they miss a payment I an sure we will be hearing about them too.

That certainly makes it potentially higher impact. Probably more important than the payment is the spending authorization. If the TSA has funded their contract several months out (with invoices billed and paid as work is completed) then things will likely be less affected than other airports. If they authorize funds month to month (unlikely) then it could be a problem at the end of January. About half of what I do is on forward-funded federal contracts and they work like that - invoices won't get paid while the gov't is shut down, but the spending is already authorized up to a certain value, and as long as we don't use that up we keep working.

PaperGlider Jan 12, 2019 2:08 pm

amazing how much this subject is in the news. I have not seen any widespread TSA delays.

Airport: LAX
Terminal: 6&7
Time of day: 9:00am
Approximate wait time for TSA id check/length of line: looked like 5 minutes