Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Gold Guest Upgrade (GGU) Success or Gripes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya

Since we ended the year with the GGU and U space challenge (and mixed opinions on whether there was a problem) - I thought I'd start a thread on GGU successes or gripes. Have you had an easy time using your GGU's in 2019? Where and when? How flexible did you have to be? Felt like it would be good to have a thread to discuss the relative ease (or not) of using GGU's.

For example, my first three trips of the year for work (PDX-HNL, PDX-CHS, PDX-DCA) have only had U space on the CHS-PDX leg where U2 was open and I snagged with companion fare and GGU's. Not shocked on the DCA flight, its an empty F but also I assume they protect space on this route. HNL was pretty booked up outbound, but return is half full.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I have three trips booked so far for the first three months of 2019, all RT to HNL. They were booked towards the end of 2018 and there was U space available on all flights. One of the trips had U2 as it was booked with a companion. I used an instant upgrade fare for two legs of one trip (only M was available) and GGU’s for all of the rest.
williwaw likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Finkface
I have three trips booked so far for the first three months of 2019, all RT to HNL. They were booked towards the end of 2018 and there was U space available on all flights. One of the trips had U2 as it was booked with a companion. I used an instant upgrade fare for two legs of one trip (only M was available) and GGU’s for all of the rest.
Depending where you are leaving from, Hawaii is one of the easiest upgrades to get. I flew two RTs in paid economy (SFO or OAK to/from OGG or HNL) and was upgraded 3 out of 4 times. The other time I was the only person in the list who didn't clear. This was all on R or T fares as an MVP, so, basically, close to last on the list every time.

I'm not sure where I'll try to use my GGUs this year. My only AS travel booked so far is SFO-PDX... definitely won't be using them for that
williwaw likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Just used several of my GGUs to book family for a trip to New Orleans. We’ve had trouble in the past finding U space on the SEA-MSY flights and this was just as difficult. They had incredibly flexible travel plans (anytime in the month of April), but it still took quite awhile to find a set of flights that would give them a trip longer than two full days, but less than 9 days and didn’t include overnighting in California. So - it’s possible to find space if you’re flexible, but would recommend snapping it up quickly when you find it
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
"GGU's = benefit theater" was my comment

I'd like to retract that comment because more info below especially from Flying for Fun. I now presume the GGU's must have some value and I must not know how to best use them to get that value.

My apologies for any confusion my comment caused.

Last edited by PaperGlider; Jan 4, 2019 at 10:38 am Reason: Looks like I may be wrong.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:41 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
GGU's = benefit theater
Not sure what you mean by that. To me, they are the biggest benefit by far to being Gold and why I strive for it every year. Change fee waivers are also great but the GGUs are number one for me. I use all of my own and as many others as I can get my hands on.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface
Not sure what you mean by that. To me, they are the biggest benefit by far to being Gold and why I strive for it every year. Change fee waivers are also great but the GGUs are number one for me. I use all of my own and as many others as I can get my hands on.
I love mine too for multiple connecting flights especially when combined with a companion certificate.

James
JPat likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I’ve been gifted them before and have had good luck with PDX-ORD and SEA-STL. I was delighted to used one for PDX-MCO coming up in March.
MapMan25 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
I used 4 to OGG and back in late Feb when I booked in August.

At the very end of Dec I was trying to find a way to use 4 expiring certs and ended up booking the SFO redeye to RDU and return via SEA. RDU-SEA did not have U space, but SEA-PDX did, so off to experflyer I go I guess.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Used mine in early December to book 4x SEA-ORD through summer 2019.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mbluecpa
Used mine in early December to book 4x SEA-ORD through summer 2019.
4 on one flight or a pair back and forth?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by williwaw

4 on one flight or a pair back and forth?
4 RTs, using 8 GGUs.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mbluecpa

4 RTs, using 8 GGUs.
nicely done!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I just don't even consider using them until later in the year. The reason is because those flights that have the best opportunity to use GGUs are often the easiest flights to get a comp upgrade as a 75K. I don't want to waste them.
What I really WISH I could do, is to be able to waitlist a GGU, just as you can on United with RPUs. In that case you get higher priority. When I fly SEA-DFW with 60+ people on the waitlist, I would like to use the GGU to get me to the front of the list. It is very rare that U space opens up on that route in advance. The other problem of course is paying for the higher required fare class not knowing if you can clear. I think that whole minimum required fare class to use the "free" benefit is a sham since you are not refunded if you do not clear. It is also done with United and GPUs to a much worse extent.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I just don't even consider using them until later in the year. The reason is because those flights that have the best opportunity to use GGUs are often the easiest flights to get a comp upgrade as a 75K. I don't want to waste them.
That’s why I use mine for no status or low status family memebers. As a 75k, my odds of upgrade are high enough that it doesn’t seem like I’m getting the best value out of the GGU. Even if I don’t get the upgrade, I usually have a nice premium class seat. Feels way better to move up someone who might otherwise be stuck in the back of the plane.
dmodemd likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.