Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Gold Guest Upgrade (GGU) Success or Gripes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest Upgrade (GGU) Success or Gripes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: Gold 75K
There is absolutely zero U space SFO-PVR nonstop space on any date in either direction I tried in the first half of 2019. Those flights are the ex-Virgin planes with only 2 rows of F. Connecting flights typically had U space for one leg but not the other. If there are routes that are always excluded from U class availability, then I think that needs to be more transparent.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Thank you Finkface, your input has caused me to reconsider my view of the GGU's. My comment was intended to describe my view that the GGU's were not of real value to me. I'll try to learn how to use them. I have updated original post.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by sjbsf
If there are routes that are always excluded from U class availability, then I think that needs to be more transparent.
I think there are routes where U space, at least early on, is never going to show up. Routes to DCA are one I never see space on personally. But I also usually travel for work with no flexibility on the day I am traveling.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: Mileage Plan
Just used mine on ANC-LAX (direct) r/t, U has been available for a while. This is for an early February trip.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I don't think I've ever let a GGU expire, I've always found ways to use them. They are a great benefit, probably 2nd only to the waived change/cancel fees
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
Just booked SAN-MCO last night on a companion fare and had no problems using GGUs to upgrade my companion and I in both directions. We'll be traveling in April, and there seemed to be a lot of U space across multiple days.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by sjbsf
There is absolutely zero U space SFO-PVR nonstop space on any date in either direction I tried in the first half of 2019. Those flights are the ex-Virgin planes with only 2 rows of F. Connecting flights typically had U space for one leg but not the other. If there are routes that are always excluded from U class availability, then I think that needs to be more transparent.
With only 8 F seats, it doesn't make sense for AS to allow for U space on a lot of those routes.

Once 50% more seats are installed, this should change some I imagine. Of course, the experience will be different as well.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by osubeavers01

That’s why I use mine for no status or low status family memebers. As a 75k, my odds of upgrade are high enough that it doesn’t seem like I’m getting the best value out of the GGU. Even if I don’t get the upgrade, I usually have a nice premium class seat. Feels way better to move up someone who might otherwise bestuck in the back of the plane.
Originally Posted by ASEFlyer
Just used mine on ANC-LAX (direct) r/t, U has been available for a while. This is for an early February trip.
Most of the time I am traveling with a companion and utilizing a companion certificate so I don't like to play the "complimentary upgrade game" even as a 75K. I have not been upgraded before as a 75K on an M fare. I save mine for longer flights and where possible multi-flight connections. As ASEFlyer has done, I have flown the ANC-LAX direct flight​​​​​​ and then connected to LAX-SJO flying over 5000 miles using one GGU each on a companion certificate.

James
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How do you get so many GGUs? I understand that over time you can rack up a lot of credit cards so companion certs are basically unlimited if you're willing to pay an AF for each one. But GGUs seem to be a limited commodity... am I missing something?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by williwaw
I think there are routes where U space, at least early on, is never going to show up. Routes to DCA are one I never see space on personally. But I also usually travel for work with no flexibility on the day I am traveling.
I used 4 GGUs for 2 family members traveling to DCA last Sept. That was the direct flight from PDX though. Not sure where you’re traveling from; would assume the SEA-DCA flights might have less U space since those flights are always packed
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Interesting - I am PDX based! I have a trip in March and there is U0 and empty F, but I also assume the dynamics of DC dictate how they manage U space..
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by williwaw
Interesting - I am PDX based! I have a trip in March and there is U0 and empty F, but I also assume the dynamics of DC dictate how they manage U space..
March is tough because you start running into Spring Breaks and I’ve heard the DC area is popular for class trips around that time
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
We were able to burn some soon to be expiring GGUs for an April trip to LIH from SEA. I find them a bit difficult to burn but over the years have become more adept at getting value from them. A big problem in past years was the rebooking of a flight when fares dropped. Less of that now with the elimination of the low fare guarantee. As a Gold I can still play the low fare game by cancelling and rebooking but if I do I still have to call in and reclaim the GGUs.

Last edited by JPat; Jan 4, 2019 at 1:02 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
How do you get so many GGUs? I understand that over time you can rack up a lot of credit cards so companion certs are basically unlimited if you're willing to pay an AF for each one. But GGUs seem to be a limited commodity... am I missing something?
75K status and a companion that flies as much as you do for $99.00 per itinerary.

James
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
75K status and a companion that flies as much as you do for $99.00 per itinerary.

James
I still don't get it. 8 GGUs each, per year, and each is only good for one person in one direction. So, you can both get upgraded on 4 rounds trips per year. It seems that you post about using a GGU about once per week or two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.