Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Gold Guest Upgrade (GGU) Success or Gripes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest Upgrade (GGU) Success or Gripes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I still don't get it. 8 GGUs each, per year, and each is only good for one person in one direction. So, you can both get upgraded on 4 rounds trips per year. It seems that you post about using a GGU about once per week or two.
We had 26 last year! Discussed before.Two, three or Four segments with one GGU is where it is at for us. I like my hamburgers deluxe, served on china at almost 2 for 1. lol

James
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
We had 26 last year! Discussed before.Two, three or Four segments with one GGU is where it is at for us. I like my hamburgers deluxe, served on china at almost 2 for 1. lol

James
I understand that you can upgrade multi-segment one-ways, and you take lots of those. I agree that that is great value for a GGU, if you fly itineraries like that.

What I don't understand is how you get 26 GGUs between two people, when you get 4 each as Gold and another 4 each as 75k. That adds up to 16.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
So, I am reading that as 26 segments upgraded with 16 or fewer GGUs... is that right?

But I am in agreement that Companion Fare + GGU is the best strategy in my house. When I fly alone I am more likely taken care of or I am paying to snag CoS.

Last edited by williwaw; Jan 4, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by williwaw
So, I am reading that as 26 segments upgraded with 16 or fewer GGUs... is that right?

But I am in agreement that Companion Fare + GGU is the best strategy in my house. When I fly alone I am more likely taken care of or I am paying to snag CoS.
No, 26 individual GGU codes. To save everyone from sifting through my thousands of posts, when we qualified for MVPG in 2017 we each received 4. When we qualified for MVPG75K we each received 4 more. Subsequently, a lot of 75Ks in 2017 got a second round of 4 more each, just as we did. That is 12 each × 2 = 24. I used two GGUs on PDX-SEA-MSY. The E175 PDX-SEA was downgraded to a Q400 but we still flew SEA-MSY in F. Alaska issued 2 more GGUs for the short hop downgrade giving us 26 in total. All 26 were used.

James
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Gotcha - forgot about the surprise 4 GGU add-on miracle!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
I find that if I am flexible, they are not that hard to use. The sweet spot is finding connecting flight within the 4 hour connection time period. If I fly ANC-PDX-SEA-MCO with each leg inside that window, and if there is U space on all legs, it only takes one code to cover all of the flights. That does not happen often, but it does from time to time.
Flying for Fun and williwaw like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W
I find that if I am flexible, they are not that hard to use. The sweet spot is finding connecting flight within the 4 hour connection time period. If I fly ANC-PDX-SEA-MCO with each leg inside that window, and if there is U space on all legs, it only takes one code to cover all of the flights. That does not happen often, but it does from time to time.
Totally agree! My best was SJO-LAX-SEA-SFO-PVR.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
SEA-ANC-PDX-MCO-SAN-BWI (which was only possible because the SAN layover was exactly 3+59) ... first leg never opened up, but that was a “who-cares?” early evening segment in 7A; wasn’t monitoring MCO-SAN, but U space must have opened ~T-48 because I was still able to pre-order dinner after I got the email
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by BOB W

Hi Bob, What is this 4 hour connection time?

And was the ANC-PDX-SEA-MCO a mileage run or a way to have multiple cities to visit?

Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
It's ALASKA Airlines, right?

Gripe: any lower 48 (I'd even take HNL) to ANC in mid July not on the Tuesday night 11pm flight SEA-ANC (arrives at 3am!?). I'm ready though - those new 200 EF alerts are very welcome Yes, peak summer travel, blah, blah, pbbbtt!
williwaw likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:43 pm

If you are connecting to onward travel and the connection time betwwen flights is < 4hrs a single GGU will upgrade both segments providing U space is available on both flights. Similarly with 3, 4.... flights.

James
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:52 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
New to using GGU. Trying to upgrade a friend that I convinced to fly Alaska non stop Dulles to SFO instead of his normal American Airlines. Will feel really bad if it doesn't clear haha. Flight leaves in 2 days with no F space yet, 4 out of 8 seats available. The 75K agent said I couldn't wait list the space and to just keep checking. What happens if upgrades go to the gate? TIA
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Does your friend have AS status at all? If no - your only option is to watch for U space to open, but out of Dulles that might be a small miracle at this point.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I was able to use a GGU on 12/31 for SEA-JFK (morning flight) on 1/11. U space opened up about two weeks out. The FC cabin was about 1/2 full. Oddly on the return flight a few days later FC is totally empty but there is no U space.
williwaw likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Bought an SFO-EWR and vv for this fall; actually found the AS interface pretty refreshing vs. UA in terms of finding flights and fares for which the upgrades were immediately redeemable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.