Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
Please post your upgrade successes & failures including:

Date
Route (Please bold if failure)
Flight Number
Status (MVP, Gold or 75K)
Fare Class
Add companion if there was one
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear
Date of ticket purchase

Examples:
2/2/19 SEA-ANC AS 67 75K Upgrade cleared at T-120 hours
2/19/19 MSY-SEA AS 887 MVPG Didn't clear 4/22 on waitlist
Print Wikipost

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Yes.

Also, purchased fare buckets were R, fixed.
shocking. as a MVPG i pretty much always get SFO/SJC->JFK/EWR but have been using GGU to ensure the return flight, maybe I should stop doing that...
Old May 3, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by richiezc
shocking. as a MVPG i pretty much always get SFO/SJC->JFK/EWR but have been using GGU to ensure the return flight, maybe I should stop doing that...
I can’t imagine many better uses for a ggu than a Tcon... Take that U space while you can.
PaperGlider likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX

I can’t imagine many better uses for a ggu than a Tcon... Take that U space while you can.
AND use the ggu IF you can.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
AND use the ggu IF you can.

O totally, just trying to save two for a flight to Hawaii w/ my gf
Old May 3, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't agree with that. I used a GGU for a transcon flight tonight. It currently has 6 empty F seats and an MVP at the top of the upgrade list (I know this because he is my friend). I wish I had saved the $100 and bought the cheapest available. I'm not convinced that AS F is worth a $100 upcharge vs premium anyway.

I now think that the best use of GGUs is to let them expire unused, unless K (or higher) is the cheapest available when you buy your ticket. That will be my strategy going forward.
PaperGlider likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Hell has frozen over. .

AS 349 JFK-SEA this morning. MVPG. #4 on the waitlist. Battlefield upgrade!

Spoke to the gate agent and she instructed me to check in at 30 mins prior to boarding. The waitlist showed #1 and 2 got upgraded.

It it looked like 2 more F seats were available for purchase about 2 hours out so I had a slightly hopeful outlook. They started boarding 55 mins prior to departure.

We ended up wheels up 30 mins past the scheduled departure time.

Really didn’t care since I was sitting in 2F.

Even better - TSA doesn’t show T7 at JFK as having PreCheck. They did this morning. Woohoo!
Old May 3, 2019, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sea_jeff
Hell has frozen over. .

Spoke to the gate agent and she instructed me to check in at 30 mins prior to boarding. The waitlist showed #1 and 2 got upgraded.

It it looked like 2 more F seats were available for purchase about 2 hours out so I had a slightly hopeful outlook. They started boarding 55 mins prior to departure.

Even better - TSA doesn’t show T7 at JFK as having PreCheck. They did this morning. Woohoo!
I think the AM JFK flights (particularly the JFK-PDX) are WAY easier to upgrade than the PM flights so you had that going in your favor
sea_jeff likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL
Newly minted 75k from status match.

SFO-EWR-SFO (306/375) on May 4th (Saturday). Got EWR-SFO upgrade at 5 day window, got SFO-EWR shortly after check in.

Much better odds than DL.
williwaw likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
SFO to SEA
6:30 pm

award ticket

no upgrade
2nd on list
Old May 6, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
MVPG. Never got a single upgrade this year SJC-JFK/EWR to F on morning flights.

Will fly EWR-SJC this Wednesday afternoon, upgrade seems like impossible, according to ExpertFlyer, only 2 seats now.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by sea_jeff
Hell has frozen over. .

Last month while I was at JFK taking the early flight to PDX, Pre-check line was opened around 5:45 am, just when I got there. I used GGU on that flight, but I should have just waited for a chance for free upgrades, because I think the F cabin was pretty empty until the day of the departure (based on seat map at check in, which was probably not reliable data on how full the cabin was).
Old May 6, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
5/5/19
AS 738
SEA to MCI
I forgot what fare I bought, but not R

F seats were held until T-55 min. I was 2nd on the list, and was upgraded along with 6 other Pax.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP
5/3/19 BUR-SEA AS 589 MVP Didn't clear
5/6/19 SEA-BUR AS 1054 MVP Didn't clear - N630VX w/ new interior - top four on waitlist cleared into F at the gate

I can't snag an upgrade as an MVP on this route... ever, it seems, these days. And I'm not even close on the waitlist. Both flights had light loads in Y; maybe about 60%. Prices have gone up a lot on BUR-SEA... AS yield mgmt may have pushed them a little too high as these flights are typically full.
Old May 13, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
5/13 AS 423 PDX-SEA
T Fare
MVPG

Ok wasn’t expecting much luck on the 737 shuttle, I am at 34 of 47 on waitlist. Packed flight with request for VDB.

5/13 AS 38
T Fare

F has been full on this flight for weeks. Not even a chance at PC for me on this. Hoping for a last minute cancellation that moves me to PC. Do have exit row at least for this long haul. Lots of elites here too. I’m 23 of 42 on waitlist

Update: FA on AS38 shared that he's never seen so many MVPG on a flight. Group A boarding was a herd, maybe 20-30 of us?

Last edited by williwaw; May 13, 2019 at 11:51 am
Old May 13, 2019, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by williwaw
5/13 AS 423 PDX-SEA
T Fare
MVPG

Ok wasn’t expecting much luck on the 737 shuttle, I am at 34 of 47 on waitlist. Packed flight with request for VDB.

5/13 AS 38
T Fare

F has been full on this flight for weeks. Not even a chance at PC for me on this. Hoping for a last minute cancellation that moves me to PC. Do have exit row at least for this long haul. Lots of elites here too. I’m 23 of 42 on waitlist

Update: FA on AS38 shared that he's never seen so many MVPG on a flight. Group A boarding was a herd, maybe 20-30 of us?
That 6am 737 flight from PDX-SEA has got to be one of the toughest upgrades in the system....if I have the time, I much prefer a slightly later Q400 flight to the packed 737 with no chance of an upgrade...even PC can be tough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.