Wiki Posts
Search

AS at Dallas Love Field (DAL)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:34 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by MJMLBBtoCPH

Apparently there are some additional court filings that occurred Friday in the three-way fight at Love Field, with Alaska and Delta responding to the City's proposal to use Alaska gates to accommodate Delta.
See this article:
https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...est-delta.html
Good writeup with good summary about at about the middle:

The city's November idea

This ordeal started years ago when Southwest Airlines Co. (NYSE: LUV) took over two gates from United Continental Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: UAL), giving Southwest 18 of the 20 gates at Love Field.Delta had an agreement with United to fly five daily flights back to its hub in Atlanta. When Southwest took over the gates, it tried to boot Delta off.Delta refused to leave.

Also, Delta wanted to add eight more flights out of Love Field. Fearing retaliation from whatever side ended up losing the dispute, the city of Dallas sued all the airlines involved and asked the court to decide what to do.In November, Alaska was dragged into this case in a major way.In an attempt to accommodate Delta's request for eight more flights, the city looked at the flight schedules of both Southwest and Alaska. Southwest recently started averaging nearly 11 flights a day out of its 18 gates.

Alaska, however, operated only 6.5 flights a day at its two gates on average.Therefore, the city reasoned, Delta's eight additional flights could be flown on Alaska's gates because the Seattle airline had time gaps in its schedule.The city added that an Alaska representative was deposed on Sept. 28 and stated the airline had no expansion plans at Love Field for the "foreseeable future."
Delta is suspicious of Alaska's recent expansion plans, and Alaska is like, "stay off my lawn". Haha. It's interesting that Alaska finds DAL that lucrative or necessary (I'm definitely happy about their proposed expanded flight options). Is this a case of sticking Delta in the eye, or does Alaska have serious long term plans for Dallas?
This started out as a pissing match between DL and WN when UA bailed on DAL and leased the gates to WN for an obscene amount of money (this came out in one of first court filings).

VX got AA's gates, and DL claimed squatter's rights to keep flying their 5 flights to ATL, back then on CRJ as "out of state" flights were capped to 56 pax capacity (IIRC).

Dallas City Hall saw the writing on the wall when DL asked them for a ruling, and decided to do a preemptive lawsuit instead, thinking that DL's deep pockets would outgun whatever Dallas could put up.

This has been dragging on for a long time, because when I was fortunate enough to meet the (recently) late former CEO Herb Kelleher he confidently said that he thought "we will win this."
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver

Delta is suspicious of Alaska's recent expansion plans, and Alaska is like, "stay off my lawn". Haha. It's interesting that Alaska finds DAL that lucrative or necessary (I'm definitely happy about their proposed expanded flight options). Is this a case of sticking Delta in the eye, or does Alaska have serious long term plans for Dallas?
AS is just trying to defend its turf but they did make the mistake by announcing an expansion only after the city revealed the proposal to give DL the slots. They should have quashed the idea when it was brought up as now, whether intentional or not, it looks like they just did it to mess up the city's plan and not because they really need/want to expand. I wonder though if it is even worth the fight and uncertainty of this endless litigation. The access was not all that valuable to VX as they could never figure out where to fly to fill the time slots that could actually make them any money and AS is not exactly printing money on the DAL flights either.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
it looks like they just did it to mess up the city's plan and not because they really need/want to expand.
Sure, but isn't it in the interest of the airport to provide the surrounding community with the most routes and frequency possible? Whatever gets more flights into the airport is a win for everyone.
Southwest is always saying if some other airline isn't providing additional flights, surely they will. The impression given by AS before was that they had no interest in expanding, but that surely changed.
If the city tries to cut down the 2.5 non Southwest gates at the airport, I would imagine there would be anti-trust lawsuits.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by dmodemd

Sure, but isn't it in the interest of the airport to provide the surrounding community with the most routes and frequency possible? Whatever gets more flights into the airport is a win for everyone.
Southwest is always saying if some other airline isn't providing additional flights, surely they will. The impression given by AS before was that they had no interest in expanding, but that surely changed.
If the city tries to cut down the 2.5 non Southwest gates at the airport, I would imagine there would be anti-trust lawsuits.
Lots of folks already unhappy with additional flights - additional noise @:-)

VX flew to DCA and LGA, and AS had no interest in continuing those flights.

And DL is squatting on 5 roundtrips to ATL - 4 x B717 and midday A320 or 319. - probalby changes depending on how many seats they sell.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
posted an article that read, in part, "The city added that an Alaska representative was deposed on Sept. 28 and stated the airline had no expansion plans at Love Field for the "foreseeable future."
And at that time, the previous VP for Network Planning and Strategy was still with AS. That changed, and with changes in leadership come changes in planning.

Just my $0.02 worth, of course...

Last edited by Snowdevil; Jan 21, 2019 at 5:30 pm
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Snowdevil
And at that time, the previous VP for Network Planning and Strategy was still with AS. That changed, and with changes in leadership come changes in planning.

Just my $0.02 worth, of course...
Um, why are you quoting me Those are NOT my words.

I merely posted a part of www.bizjournals.com/ article where that was posted above my reply @:-)
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:43 pm

Um, why are you quoting me Those are NOT my words.

I merely posted a part of www.bizjournals.com/ article where that was posted above my reply @:-)
You cited the source, so I was quoting your post where it was referenced. Why is that an issue?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

Flew SEA-DAL just this Friday on E175, and while coach was almost full, FC was only half full. Apparently not too many frequent flyers on this plane (and I suspect route).
During the slowest business travel week of the year, this is not surprising.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Snowdevil

You cited the source, so I was quoting your post where it was referenced. Why is that an issue?
Originally Posted by FlyerTalk Rules

Deceptive, Dishonest, Illegal or Fraudulent Posting

Posts that misquote or mischaracterize other posts or members, or contain deceptive, dishonest or knowingly inaccurate information are not allowed.

Rule 15
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Looking one and two days out, SEA/DAL
Tomorrow - F2 Y6 / F4 Y0 - pretty full flights, if not close to or oversold in the back.
Wednesday - F4 Y6 / F3 Y1 - same.

LAX/DAL
Tomorrow - F2 Y0 / F0 Y6 / F6 Y7 - sounds like 2 of the 3 flights will be sold out. Once you're below Y7, you're pretty much good as full.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:14 pm

Glad that planes are starting to fill up.

If you are going to Dallas proper DAL is much easier to get to and to navigate the airport.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:31 pm

Uh...ok? I don't see how quoting part of what you cited is illegal, dishonest, deceptive, etc.but in any event, I've amended the post. Mea culpa.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
My last DAL-SEA on Fri 1/18 was oversold. I volunteered and was first on the list but they managed to squeeze everyone on. Weight is usually a concern on this flight with high headwinds. We had to hold short of the runway 5 minutes to burn off enough fuel to make takeoff weight(!). It was a busy business week on Dallas. Flights were sold out well in advance. Every week there can be pretty different but SEA-DFW is always heavy load. SEA-DAL can vary.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:58 am

I just noticed starting in May that the morning SEA-DAL and afternoon DAL-SEA has switched to a mainline 737... yay!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by dmodemd
I just noticed starting in May that the morning SEA-DAL and afternoon DAL-SEA has switched to a mainline 737... yay!
While this does not apply to me, it does mean that upgrade chances for those eligible do DOWN.

Even more so with AS which has fewer FC seats on 737 than UA, where this has been discussed (u/g chances) quite a bit in a couple of threads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.