Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie Question: SDC Rules

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Newbie Question: SDC Rules

Sorry for maybe a n00b question. But I have a flight Saturday: JFK-SFO-PDX. I called to ask about changing it and the CSR said I can SDC to a direct JFK-PDX once the check in window opens for the original flight. I thought based on the rules you had to keep the same routing, but the CSR said just starting and ending pair. I called a second CSR just to test it and she said the same. I just wanted to ask folks if they've had experience with successfully changing a flight like this. I only have MVP status (if that matters.)

Last edited by williwaw; Dec 6, 2018 at 3:03 pm
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...flight-changes

• You must keep the same origin, destination, thru, and connection cities. Co-terminal changes are not allowed.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

That’s why I’m surprised. I told both CSRs about change in route and neither hesitated to say it would work. Just curious if anyone has had experience that differs.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I've never seen a nonstop offered to me in the app or on the web if I am flying a one-stop. I have called and gotten an SDC to a nonstop when there was the potential for being stranded overnight in a city where AS only had a daily flight when connecting from a partner award: DUS-ORD-MCI(AA)-SEA(AS) became DUS-ORD(AA)-SEA(AS), but that involved CS reps getting clearance from supervisors.

I'm wondering if you have pmVX phone reps here...
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
This would be a welcome change but I doubt it will actually be offered.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Well, you all had me worried (rightly so, as it is in the rules.) I called a third CSR, based in SEA, who confirmed I can SDC from the JFK-SFO-PDX to JKF-PDX direct. I pointedly asked, since the original itinerary has a connection is this really possible. He respond yes, and if my original itinerary had been a direct that I had I could even add a connection in the 24 hour window. I also asked if this was a change in policy, and he said there had been changes, but as he discussed them it seemed to be more about the shift from the calendar day policy for SDC to 24 hour window. So.... we shall see.

I will get on the horn tomorrow morning and see if it works. Makes my life 100x easier if I can do it. Will report back.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I successfully helped a friend change SEA-SFO-BOS to SEA-PDX-SFO-BOS last week.

$50 change fee plus $14 or so in extra taxes, all done over the phone. No, these options didn't appear online.

MVPG status secured ^ plus SEA-PDX cleared into F too

This is a YMMV situation, and I wouldn't count on it. But if space is there, and you want to try, give AS a call.
williwaw likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
This is amazing news if routing changes are now allowed on SDC.

I just did SDC on DL and realized now nice it was to have more options through other connecting cities.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beckoa
I successfully helped a friend change SEA-SFO-BOS to SEA-PDX-SFO-BOS last week.

$50 change fee plus $14 or so in extra taxes, all done over the phone. No, these options didn't appear online.

MVPG status secured ^ plus SEA-PDX cleared into F too

This is a YMMV situation, and I wouldn't count on it. But if space is there, and you want to try, give AS a call.
Agreed it's a YMMV thing. Requested a SDC over the phone earlier this year, original flight was LAX-PDX-SEA (booked with miles, no elite status at the time). The CSR put me on a LAX-SEA direct flight instead

Last edited by Seattle206; Dec 7, 2018 at 12:22 am Reason: error
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Sooooo... it was going to work. The CSR was ready to move me and then uh oh. Something wasn’t working. She calls rates and I wait. And wait. Turns out it would work but because this was a ticket purchased through Chase UR/Expedia it is a bulk fare that they can not change routing on. I can change to the earlier version of routing but not to the direct. So out come the Visa card....

This is my own doing so I’m fine, but be warned that UR ourshaed tickets are an extra wrinkle. Glad the cash price for a oneway tomorrow is not awful. I have a kid birthday party to make!
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
I was able to change to a direct routing over Text CSR in November. Seems like an unpublished benefit or maybe just YMMV.

williwaw, what's your status level?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by soartoday
I was able to change to a direct routing over Text CSR in November. Seems like an unpublished benefit or maybe just YMMV.

williwaw, what's your status level?
I am MVP. I think this would have worked with no issues if I had originally purchased the ticket via Alaska directly. Because it was a bulk fare via a travel agency (Expedia) it complicated things. All the CSR's I spoke with said they could do it - but the bulk fare prevented them.
soartoday likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.