Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Entertainment Tablets Only on Hawaii, NYC & DC Area, FL and BOS Routes (11/1/2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Entertainment Tablets Only on Hawaii, NYC & DC Area, FL and BOS Routes (11/1/2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by dayone
So the tablets will no longer be offered on SEA-ANC?
No. Alaska is not a “premium” market. Sounds like the former mantra of United—we listened to our passengers and based on that feedback will be charging more and offering less—just like everybody wanted.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
With on-board streaming and power outlets (since east coast does not get 737-700) , i'm surprised they didn't get rid of them all together.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CDKing
With on-board streaming and power outlets (since east coast does not get 737-700) , i'm surprised they didn't get rid of them all together.
I’ve flown an AS 73G to and from IAD.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
It sucks, but I’m not going to be the one to vent. Just like the now old and crappy IFE on VX, there’s a cost to maintain those tablets, or replace them. I’d wager that a lot of people use their own devices anyway. I know I do...my iPad has a bigger screen, better resolution, and wireless headphone technology.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
I think the -700s are common on SEA-CHS too, but they're getting updated interiors soon anyway.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco

No. Alaska is not a “premium” market. Sounds like the former mantra of United—we listened to our passengers and based on that feedback will be charging more and offering less—just like everybody wanted.
Not premium in the traditional sense, but SEA-ANC is one of, if not the, busiest mid-con routes in the country; it’s not a once daily to MKE type of route. AS alone runs 20-ish flights daily on SEA-ANC in peak season; it’ll get noticed.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Chugach

Not premium in the traditional sense, but SEA-ANC is one of, if not the, busiest mid-con routes in the country; it’s not a once daily to MKE type of route. AS alone runs 20-ish flights daily on SEA-ANC in peak season; it’ll get noticed.
That may be precisely why they did it. It is a route that AS dominates so they feel they can get away with it. In other markets with Mint and with US3 transcons which offer a much more substantial product than AS (SEA/SAN/SFO/LAX/LAS-JFK/BOS, etc), a little digiplayer is a consolation prize for non getting all the bells and whistles offered by the competition. For those based in Alaska, there are not a lot of other options for those that need to fly a lot within the state and also travel outside. it.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by AS737
Until 11/1 tablets should be available on all of the routes they've been on in the past. Odds are your situation was just a catering mistake. Starting 11/1 it'll just be on the premium routes (Hawaii, Florida, DC area, New England)
Any other “surprise” changes happening 11/1?
pcoll likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Has any company official confirmed the news yet?
If true, this would be a significant blow to AS in-flight experience. Most aircrafts within legacy carriers have onboard device of some sort.

Alaskaair.com indicates

Our inflight entertainment tablet

On coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights, you can rent our inflight entertainment tablet.
What is considered "coast-to-coast"? What about.... PHL, PIT, IND, CHS, RDU, ATL, MSY, BNA, CMH, DTW, ORD, DFW, IAH,...just to name a few

Often airlines entice passengers traveling to hubs of competing legacy carriers. PHL, ORD, MSP, DTW, DFW, IAH, ATL might be saved from the chopping block....

Jiburi
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: AS
Decided to check AS website for changes in language.
It does now say "coast to coast" (guess they decide). then Noticed - price for rental in coach has been raised to $10. Believe it was $8, just last week.
Again, for the travelers who fly maybe once or twice a year...they are going to be really unhappy with all the recent changes.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jiburi
Has any company official confirmed the news yet?
If true, this would be a significant blow to AS in-flight experience. Most aircrafts within legacy carriers have onboard device of some sort.

Alaskaair.com indicates [h2]

What is considered "coast-to-coast"? What about.... PHL, PIT, IND, CHS, RDU, ATL, MSY, BNA, CMH, DTW, ORD, DFW, IAH,...just to name a few

Often airlines entice passengers traveling to hubs of competing legacy carriers. PHL, ORD, MSP, DTW, DFW, IAH, ATL might be saved from the chopping block....

Jiburi
AA is ripping IFE out, I don't think UA has it in many newer aircraft. Nevertheless, DL has a fantastic system on most of its fleet, with no signs of giving up on the product.

Consolation? Eff da cookiez. Send all the 75Ks a cheapo pad-type device suitable for the AS IFE. Oh yes, you can keep my luggage tags. I already know who I am, and you (the traveling public) don't need to see how important I am. But send a pad.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
If I was a marketing representative of legacy carriers, I would jump on the "smear and run" campaign, making a commercial of how legacy carriers differentiate premium passengers with plush amenities, food and entertainment. With Alaska, you get blanket and/or device entertainment if you are lucky, and firm uncleaned headrest, and entree choices of lentils and/or polenta or Kale.

Alaska Airlines will be the biggest joke of all airlines....

Jiburi
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
I’m quite surprised to see this much outrage over those crappy tablets. Everyone can take their budget for the board room membership that no one is paying for any more and buy a nice ipad.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:16 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by pcoll
Decided to check AS website for changes in language.
It does now say "coast to coast" (guess they decide). then Noticed - price for rental in coach has been raised to $10. Believe it was $8, just last week.
Again, for the travelers who fly maybe once or twice a year...they are going to be really unhappy with all the recent changes.
The price was by flight length. There was always a $10 price point (or I think it actually used to be $14). There may be a few markets that were $8 that are now being bumped to the $10, but for the most part, I believe they are just dropping the $8 routes.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by DrAlex
I’m quite surprised to see this much outrage over those crappy tablets. Everyone can take their budget for the board room membership that no one is paying for any more and buy a nice ipad.
Excuse me, but I pay for most of my F seating. I don't own a pad. I use the tablets. It is part of my F experience. It would be part of my 75K experience behind the sort-of-curtain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.