Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Entertainment Tablets Only on Hawaii, NYC & DC Area, FL and BOS Routes (11/1/2018)

Entertainment Tablets Only on Hawaii, NYC & DC Area, FL and BOS Routes (11/1/2018)

Old Oct 20, 18, 2:16 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Anchorage, AK
Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG75K, AA, DL, HH-G
Posts: 7,679
Entertainment Tablets Only on Hawaii, NYC & DC Area, FL and BOS Routes (11/1/2018)

I flew AS 82 ANC-SEA on Oct. 16 in PE. After takeoff the FA announced the service would start with water, then the entrainment tablets, followed by the drink and food carts. A minute later the FA came on and said that there would be no tablets, that "they are no longer offered on this route". She explained that we should access the entertainment using our phones or other devices. Coming home tonight the tablets were offered as in the past. Anyone else seen this on their flights?
BOB W is offline  
Old Oct 20, 18, 9:56 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Seattle WA, USA
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, AS MVPG&AL, others no status
Posts: 3,440
We had tablets both ways SEA-PHL during the last week. A couple times during the past year tablets weren't loaded on one of the longer flights for some reason and we got the "sorry for the inconvenience" spiel. Hopefully the FA was wrong about them being discontinued on some routes.
Westcoaster is offline  
Old Oct 20, 18, 10:10 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 25,192
Originally Posted by BOB W View Post
I flew AS 82 ANC-SEA on Oct. 16 in PE. After takeoff the FA announced the service would start with water, then the entrainment tablets, followed by the drink and food carts. A minute later the FA came on and said that there would be no tablets, that "they are no longer offered on this route". She explained that we should access the entertainment using our phones or other devices. Coming home tonight the tablets were offered as in the past. Anyone else seen this on their flights?
Was the flight coming home (SEA-ANC) officially longer than the flight ANC-SEA? And if so, is the difference such that one is just over X:XX and one is just under X:XX and X:XX is the official minimum flight time for handing out tablets? Flights are often officially longer in one direction than another (often longer westbound than eastbound, due to air currents at altitude), and you'd think an airline would take this into account (and do a route-specific waiver) if one direction is over some limit but the other direction is under some limit, but you never know.
sdsearch is online now  
Old Oct 20, 18, 10:38 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVP Gold, SPG LT Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 1,024
I saw them on SEA-ORD and reverse a week back, but notice the webpage shows availability on “coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights” - did it always use that phrase?
mbluecpa is offline  
Old Oct 20, 18, 11:00 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Anchorage, AK
Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG75K, AA, DL, HH-G
Posts: 7,679
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Was the flight coming home (SEA-ANC) officially longer than the flight ANC-SEA? And if so, is the difference such that one is just over X:XX and one is just under X:XX and X:XX is the official minimum flight time for handing out tablets? Flights are often officially longer in one direction than another (often longer westbound than eastbound, due to air currents at altitude), and you'd think an airline would take this into account (and do a route-specific waiver) if one direction is over some limit but the other direction is under some limit, but you never know.
The ANC-SEA and SEA-ANC flights are all over 3:15+-. They vary due to winds at altitude. The tablets are loaded in both directions so I see no reason to hold them back in either direction.
BOB W is offline  
Old Oct 20, 18, 3:56 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 32,854
Originally Posted by mbluecpa View Post
I saw them on SEA-ORD and reverse a week back, but notice the webpage shows availability on “coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights” - did it always use that phrase?
I don't believe that it did. This is a grand disappointment. I don't own a pad, I hate watching on my phone, and have a huge laptop.
writerguyfl likes this.
Eastbay1K is online now  
Old Oct 20, 18, 7:34 pm
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 42,045
Had them last week ANC-PDX-ANC.

I do see the language on the website:

On coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights, you can rent our inflight entertainment tablet. As our premium entertainment option, they’re always free in First Class and available for rent in the Main Cabin. Each tablet is pre-loaded with the newest movies you’ll find onboard, plus TV shows, music, and games.
Ugh... I like the tablet. And the F seats are about to get a better way to hold them too...
beckoa is offline  
Old Oct 20, 18, 8:50 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: EUG
Programs: BonVoy Pt, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Posts: 5,136
Language used to be on most flights over 3.5 hours long.
rustykettel is offline  
Old Oct 21, 18, 11:46 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SEA
Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Posts: 2,035
It's possible AS will be rolling tablet deployment back, but I'd say it's just as likely that the FA inferred too much from catering's failure to load them onto the plane.

Last edited by jinglish; Oct 21, 18 at 11:58 am
jinglish is offline  
Old Oct 21, 18, 11:55 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 32,854
Originally Posted by jinglish View Post
It's possible AS will be rolling tablet deployment back, but I'd say it's just as likely that the FA inferred to much from catering's failure to load them onto the plane.
It is also possible that a salad cart will once again roll down the aisle and each F passenger will choose from an array of toppings on the SEA/ANC route, but with the specific language change on the website, I won't hold my breath. In fact, I never do hold my breath, because if you hold it long enough, you don't die, you just suffer brain damage.
Eastbay1K is online now  
Old Oct 21, 18, 6:46 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Programs: AS MVPG, HH G
Posts: 219
Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
Language used to be on most flights over 3.5 hours long.
Yep, looked on archive.org and this is what it used to say:

RaginPlainsman is offline  
Old Oct 21, 18, 9:48 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 18,654
I am betting a bunch of pmVX planes will show up in a bunch of SEA-XXX routes. I already see some on SEA-IAD. AS management says they want Airbus metal “up and down the coast”. SEA-ANC might be one of those markets.
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Oct 22, 18, 6:58 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Seattle
Posts: 71
Until 11/1 tablets should be available on all of the routes they've been on in the past. Odds are your situation was just a catering mistake. Starting 11/1 it'll just be on the premium routes (Hawaii, Florida, DC area, New England)
AS737 is offline  
Old Oct 22, 18, 7:36 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVPG, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,036
Originally Posted by AS737 View Post
Until 11/1 tablets should be available on all of the routes they've been on in the past. Odds are your situation was just a catering mistake. Starting 11/1 it'll just be on the premium routes (Hawaii, Florida, DC area, New England)
Thanks for confirming the bad news
PDXPremier is offline  
Old Oct 22, 18, 7:37 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Seattle
Programs: AS MVP
Posts: 1,890
Originally Posted by AS737 View Post
Until 11/1 tablets should be available on all of the routes they've been on in the past. Odds are your situation was just a catering mistake. Starting 11/1 it'll just be on the premium routes (Hawaii, Florida, DC area, New England)
once again AS......Oh crap! Will this never end ?
they really like kicking us every couple of weeks and wait to see if we keep coming back for more.

pcoll is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: