Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
But unfortunately, where else are you going to go? Southwest is the last holdout, and their product is quite different. This at least puts Alaska on the same page, fare wise, as the other guys. We've been enjoying this ride for almost 2 years, so time to buckle up and spend a few more dollars per trip or stay home.
Yeah but which airline are you going to choose? That's the question.

I've been thinking about this a lot and right now I see two main advantages in favor of AS.

If you decide that you are just going to pay the higher fare, you still get waived change fee if you are gold or better in non-basic-econ. That has a lot of value, and the major carriers don't offer that.

The other advantage is the fact that (a) you earn so many more miles for flying, and (b) they are worth so much more. Japan is one of my favorite destinations... 70k miles in F on JAL. With UA, it's going to cost 110k miles on ANA if you can find saver availability (good luck with that).

Furthermore, say I fly a transcon roundtrip for $500. Not a great fare, but not terrible either. With AS you're getting about 10k miles as a gold member for that. With UA (for example)... 8X fare = 4k miles. I value AS miles at about 1.5x UA miles, and I'm earning 2.5x as many of them for a trip like this. Almost 4x the value. This is significant...

And of course... only 40k EQM to maintain status, vs 50k with the legacies.

On the other side of the coin, UA has the network to actually get me where I want to go, when I want to go. With AS I'm often changing my plans to meet their schedule. UA also has better same day change rules (they allow routing changes). They do charge $25 more, but as Gold this is irrelevant since both airlines waive the fee. UA also has a premium F product, although it's only on few routes, it's quite expensive, and you can't get complimentary upgrades to it unless you are a higher tier then gold, so this doesn't add that much value for me (though it's nice to know that it's there for me to buy if I want it)

Honestly I'm pretty pissed off at AS right now, but the valuable miles and waived change fees might keep me around. But I'm not sure. I have a couple of months to decide
SpicyMorale likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
And of course... only 40k EQM to maintain status, vs 50k with the legacies.

On the other side of the coin, UA has the network to actually get me where I want to go, when I want to go. With AS I'm often changing my plans to meet their schedule.
Or rather, with AS I have to fly their partners to get to where I want to go internationally. E.g., next week with Condor to Europe. Or earlier this year with BA to Europe. Neither of which is really my preference when it comes to quality. And then I actually need the same 50k EQMs as with the other legacies (there is zero chance my personally funded travel would get me to 40k AS EQMs). With arguably fewer benefits than, say, *G.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah if you are mostly an international traveler then I don't think AS is a great choice. My travel is mostly domestic, and I take the occasional international trip (which I try to do in luxury). Also I don't really travel for work so I pay for all my flights out of pocket.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Yeah if you are mostly an international traveler then I don't think AS is a great choice. My travel is mostly domestic, and I take the occasional international trip (which I try to do in luxury). Also I don't really travel for work so I pay for all my flights out of pocket.
Most of my flights are domestic. Half my domestic flights are on regional aircraft (in other words, short hops). But international travel gets me at least half my annual mileage.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
If you're traveling internationally in J, crediting to AS can be very lucrative, especially in terms of RDMs. But a good part of why I defected to DL is that their program, despite the spend requirement, makes it a bit easier to qualify for status on cheap international economy fares. AS's partner network could be a lot worse, but 25% EQMs on cheap BA or FI fares is... not great.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jinglish
If you're traveling internationally in J, crediting to AS can be very lucrative, especially in terms of RDMs.
Ok, so, I just looked at the charts, and, wow, I have been doing it wrong. There are some good deals in there.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K

Honestly I'm pretty pissed off at AS right now, but the valuable miles and waived change fees might keep me around. But I'm not sure. I have a couple of months to decide
Ive been "playing" this mileage game (ie- mid or top tier status) for almost 20 years. Getting angry gets exhausting, and we never win.

To reiterate, we have enjoyed full eqms, upgrades, and premium seats on Alaska fares that have matched the other guys' 'Basic' deals and its coming to an end. But I don't see Alaska's MVP devaluation done yet.... plus, 75K status is only like 4 years old I believe- something else to chew on.
FlyingBear and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by channa
And that's what they're going to find out pretty quickly. By not offering Basic fares, they have been the best value in many cases over the past couple years. Now that they'll also be offering Basic fares, there are a lot more choices for a similar product at the same price point. Sure, some will buy up. But others will book elsewhere.
It depends on how sophisticated the average traveler is. From AS’s perspective, they’ve been forced to match BE fares for the last year because the average traveler isn’t smart enough to understand that the non-BE fare offers a better value that’s worth paying more for. If people were flocking to AS because it offered non-BE amenities at BE prices, then they might have a problem, but I’m sure their sense is that that hasn’t been happening.

I’m a little puzzled at the doom and gloom surrounding BE introduction. In the long run, the non-BE premium has not proven to be that high at other airlines. For example, if I search for cheap UA transcon fares in early December, I see RT SFO-EWR fares of $253 for BE and $273 for regular economy. I’d prefer not to pay the extra 20 bucks, but it’s not going to induce me to stop traveling or shift all my travel to a different carrier.

One way to look at it is that they’re targeting $100m revenue growth on a base of 50 million revenue passengers. They won’t offer a BE option on every ticket sold, but even if they only offer it on 1 in 3, the implicit non-BE premium is about $7-8 per ticket (assuming most flyers don’t purchase BE).

Last edited by milypan; Oct 27, 2018 at 10:30 pm Reason: Added stats
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by milypan
I’m a little puzzled at the doom and gloom surrounding BE introduction. In the long run, the non-BE premium has not proven to be that high at other airlines. For example, if I search for cheap UA transcon fares in early December, I see RT SFO-EWR fares of $253 for BE and $273 for regular economy. I’d prefer not to pay the extra 20 bucks, but it’s not going to induce me to stop traveling or shift all my travel to a different carrier.
I guess I have had variable experience when tracking UA's BE fares. I see $20/rt a lot on the intra-CA flights (which generally equates to a 10-20% markup for cheap flights). On longer flights, I've seen higher. I've been keeping track of some Florida flights next summer have around a $60/rt buy up to regular economy. My rough rule of thumb (anecdotal mind you) is about 10-15%.

You are right, we don't know what the actual fare difference will be, so it may not be as bad as it seems. I think AS would take heat for releasing BE no matter what. It's hard to take away something that you offered for free at one time; that's on advantage the new ULCC's had: no expectations. Even then, they still get a lot of bad press.

However, I don't agree with the sentiment that the BE change alone has induced people to change all their travel. I think this change, in conjunction with all of the other changes, have made AS less attractive as a primary carrier. It has made it to where after flying all those miles, you still need to fork over a bit extra to access the elite benefits you earned. That motivates me a lot less to be loyal or make the effort to reach the status again. As stated previously, it was a nice ride while it lasted, but its rare that the loyalty benefits ever get better.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Are people booking discount ticket for next year before basic economy roll out?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbd456
I am not because I am not generally planning my domestic travel that far in advance.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milypan

I think it is a bit psychological and perhaps even irrational. In general. I am not opposed to unbundling and paying fees for services that I want if that leads to a reduced base charge. However, as others pointed out, this feels like I am paying twice - once by earning status and then again by either buying a more expensive ticket or a surcharge.

I have only been an AS elite since 2014, and while I generally am happy with my travel experience, it does seem to be slowly but surely going downhill for elites... I realize upgrades very much depend on routes and paid fares, but I have not had great luck with Premium and First upgrades this year, and there are virtually no benefits for me on my Q400 flights (50% of all my AS segments).
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by pbd456
Since the full rollout isn’t until at least January, I’m not too concerned about booking flights just yet.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
The BE is starting to sell in Nov 2018 for travel in Jan 2019 onward. Since I have travel that I need in march 2019, I just booked it a few days ago to lock on a good price.
As MVP gold, one can just cancel for travel credit if there is a better deal. this is the way I see it.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I'm planning ahead already. I'm not going for 75K again next year. I'm way too far off (think almost 2 RT to SYD). In case they give me a challenge to get 75K back, I'm planning that trip now just in case to hopefully lock in Premium seats and not a basic fare. Now that I go searching was the challenge capped at MVPG 8 segments? *edit* never mind it was 20K miles in a few months as of early 2018 reports. just no reports of whether the 50k bonus came with it.

Last edited by CDKing; Oct 28, 2018 at 7:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.