Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

QX Q400 stolen by employee, crashed near SEA, no passengers onboard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
The incident itself is covered here: Sea-Tac Horizon Air employee steals airplane, does stunts before crashing near Tacoma The errant pilot, Mr. Russell, apparently recognized he was in the midst of a crisis (From Theft of Aircraft in Seattle-Tacoma Raises Serious Security Questions): “I got a lot of people that care about me and it’s going to disappoint them to hear that I did this,” Mr. Russell said to air traffic controllers. “I would like to apologize to each and every one of them. Just a broken guy, got a few screws loose, I guess. Never really knew it until now.”

from post #10:
KSEA tower audio of the aircraft on RWY 16C: http://archive-server.liveatc.net/ks...2018-0230Z.mp3 (begins around 3:40)
Print Wikipost

QX Q400 stolen by employee, crashed near SEA, no passengers onboard

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Well, there went your sense of humor. Of course I am simplifying it. Its a pretty simple solution. The FT 'experts' just feel the need to overcomplicate it so that they can 'talk down' to the people with the simple solutions. Trust me, I managed automotive engineers for years. When they got done eye-rolling and hemming and hawing, they eventually finessed my fine advice.

Any my point remains that the risk is not small. We LITERALLY just saw it happen, very easily.
I think that people with direct experience in aviation are saying that while your solution sounds simple, it is actually very complex. Aviation is so safe because everything is designed and certified for a roughly one in a billion probability of failure. Even the most simple change, like a new type of light bulb, can’t be quickly implemented by an airline.

The tough question here is whether this type of rare event (unauthorized use by an approved employee) needs to be protected against or if it is significantly rare.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
I'm pretty certain that you've never had your car at 1500 feet, 245mph, and climbing just when the engine cuts out. Planes are a leeeetle more complex than your Camry. Well, commercial jets are. A Cessna 172 is far less complicated than your Camry. But those do often have keys, so the question is moot on that front.
well, as far as complexity goes, there are more lines of code in an automobile vs a Boeing. Just a fact. But yes flying has more variables to tend to.

Maybe grant them automatic admission to optometry school so they can work for Lens Crafters selling glasses (eye exam part)?
Last 2 optometrists I met did well for themselves. They do a whole lot more than prescribe glasses (took metal out of my eye) and each have a few homes in NY, Boston and Naples.

Still amazing how he got from storage to runway without hitting others. Poor Cockpit field of view, not clipping wings, not running into other traffic or vehicles. That’s the huge security concern imho.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:42 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Well, there went your sense of humor. Of course I am simplifying it. Its a pretty simple solution. The FT 'experts' just feel the need to overcomplicate it so that they can 'talk down' to the people with the simple solutions. Trust me, I managed automotive engineers for years. When they got done eye-rolling and hemming and hawing, they eventually finessed my fine advice.
Or maybe they reached a point where it was easier to just give you what you wanted than to try to keep reasoning with you.

Any my point remains that the risk is not small. We LITERALLY just saw it happen, very easily.
Ok, boss.
jinglish likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by the phoenix
Still amazing how he got from storage to runway without hitting others. Poor Cockpit field of view, not clipping wings, not running into other traffic or vehicles.
Taxiing an airplane isn't that difficult. You look out the windows and don't run into things.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite

And my brother was LITERALLY struck by lightning while driving his car. (This is true. Other than being a little shaken up, he was fine. The car’s electrical system and radio, however... not so much!)

That doesn’t change the fact that the risk of being struck by lightning while driving is very small... miniscule even.
DenverBrian likes this.

Last edited by twitch76; Aug 13, 2018 at 8:23 am
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:23 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Zorak

Or maybe they reached a point where it was easier to just give you what you wanted than to try to keep reasoning with you.

Ok, boss.
bingo!
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: UA Plat
In portions of the ATC communications there is a constant "ding" going off in the Q400 cockpit, I presume an alarm. Does anyone know what this is? BTW, my heart goes out to the family of this guy.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by fly18725
I think that people with direct experience in aviation are saying that while your solution sounds simple, it is actually very complex. Aviation is so safe because everything is designed and certified for a roughly one in a billion probability of failure. Even the most simple change, like a new type of light bulb, can’t be quickly implemented by an airline.

The tough question here is whether this type of rare event (unauthorized use by an approved employee) needs to be protected against or if it is significantly rare.
this is the fundamental question throughout the policy and implementation universes of aviation safety and security ... knowing that the answer CANNOT BE ZERO, what is an acceptable level of risk?
ashill likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Horizon Air and Alaska Air got off easy here. This incident could have been a significant loss of life. It just seems that the technology easily exists to prevent that. I guarantee that their lawyers are telling them the same thing.
If passengers were boarding the flight I don't think he would have been able to get control since PAX aren't allowed on the plane without the pilots on the plane

I have been on planes continuing thru where there was a crew change (on Southwest and other airlines like American and delta) and I had to exit the plane
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

as someone who also writes software (albeit not for aircraft) for a living, that is certainly correct. I suspect that the designers of software for commercial aircraft have other similar “what if” scenarios to consider. I also don’t know that it would be the right place to invest resources (thus money) to prevent accidents or intentional crashes. There might be better options.
I agree you could have a pilot slide in an encrypted badge into a slot to be able to turn on the aircraft would be an easy solution
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by twitch76
I can’t imagine key control for a fleet of aircraft that move around the country. It would likely require a single full-time employee at each airport and an extra 5-10 minutes of time on every pilot’s time sheet. Failure to return a key at the end of a shift could result in an entire plane of pax cooling their jets.
Except airplanes don't have "real" keys. Boeing, however, does provide a key when a plane is delivered.

Originally Posted by LarryJ
Taxiing an airplane isn't that difficult. You look out the windows and don't run into things.
Taking off is easy too. Go fast, pull up. And I guess make sure the brakes are released.

Originally Posted by economyplusfan
In portions of the ATC communications there is a constant "ding" going off in the Q400 cockpit, I presume an alarm. Does anyone know what this is? BTW, my heart goes out to the family of this guy.
Master caution.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jrl767
this is the fundamental question throughout the policy and implementation universes of aviation safety and security ... knowing that the answer CANNOT BE ZERO, what is an acceptable level of risk?
To piggyback on this the reality is that the acceptable level of risk is driven by economics, conveniences, and costs. It's easy from a behind a computer screen to say "you can't worry about that - safety and security must be paramount" without having to factor the other things in, but that's not how it works in reality and thus an "acceptable level of risk" is also balance with cost and convenience. For example, and as an extreme to perhaps absurd example, we could likely all but eliminate traffic deaths (at least to people in the automobile) by lowering the speed limits on all roads to 15 mph, as accidents at this speed, combined with vehicle safety standards, are very unlikely to result in many deaths to passengers in the vehicle. Of course, people will not tolerate this due to the inconvenience and time costs incurred by only being able to drive 15 mph. Thus whether people have realized it or not, they have accepted a risk of the increased dangers of driving at a higher speed as a trade off for time savings. Any solution implemented (if any) will have to be balanced with economics and convenience.

Originally Posted by fly18725

In fairness to bitterprofit (which can't be said of some others throughout this thread), at least bitterprofit recognizes there are things he/she doesn't know and is willing to be open to feedback. But otherwise I do agree that yes, "simple sounding solutions" to those who don't or haven't dealt with aircraft operations on a day to day basis or are not familiar with the security procedures already in place or just who has access to the cockpit on a regular basis and why may not realize why "simple solutions" aren't actually practical or as easily implemented due to the complexities and realities of aircraft operations.
the phoenix and jinglish like this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Except airplanes don't have "real" keys. Boeing, however, does provide a key when a plane is delivered.
Yes. I was responding to the suggestion earlier in the thread that keys (or keyless fobs) would be an easy solution. The person who suggested that seemed to think that it would require no more resources than a person carrying around a keyless fob to use the pushbutton start for their car.

I was suggesting that it would probably require significantly more resources than that. Sorry if I was unclear.

Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
So should security procedures change? Perhaps, but not significantly.

I have a simple solution: Lock the cockpit door at all times and give access to only authorized personnel through a key and/or door code. For most airlines, this procedure can be easily implemented because the systems already exist.
Is the key unique to each aircraft/cockpit door? If so, then this makes things messy how do you get a unique key to each pilot, given that pilots may fly multiple aircraft in a day and pilots obviously don't fly every day. Is the key universal? Well, this is why it's pretty easy to steal a golf cart if one wanted. Is there going to be a station at each airport (or at least major airports with crew bases) where keys are passed out and collected to the pilots and those needing access to the flight deck?

And even if one goes the passcode route, what about authorized personnel who have a passcode? That's the thing with this "simple solution" - this is a guy who was authorized to be on an aircraft and possibly in the flight deck as part of his job (and he was part of a tow team in which even if he wasn't, other crew were accessing the flight deck while he was doing his role). I don't know what kind of "video game" set-up this guy had at home where he practiced his stick-and-rudder skills that he referenced while flight around but this guy knew a lot about the plane and how to operate other aspects of it that indicate he was either someone who operated this stuff previously as part of his job, observed others do it as part of their job, or had a simulator at home that was far more advanced than a video game. This guy knew not only knew how to start the engines, but also other functions such as how to operate the aircraft radios. Is this passcode/electronic door lock going to be wired into the aircraft electronics so that based on who enters the passcode, the aircraft then knows whether its a pilot who is authorized to fly the plane and will allow all functions versus a ground crew member who doesn't and thus block out those functions from being performed? (See why this solution might not be quite so "simple"?)
jinglish likes this.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Aug 13, 2018 at 11:40 am
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by amanuensis
Put this

on the yoke.

QED.

Actually, putting a parking "boot" on the landing gear wouldn't be a bad solution. Or at least some sort of lock that the pilot had to release while on his/her walkaround. Because this boot would not go up with the plane, there really would be no likelihood of adverse consequences in-flight. Put dual-locks on that puppy - one "pilot" key and one "ground" key. Even if all of the keys were not unique, it would require gaining access to two keys to move.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.