FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - QX Q400 stolen by employee, crashed near SEA, no passengers onboard
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:15 am
fly18725

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Well, there went your sense of humor. Of course I am simplifying it. Its a pretty simple solution. The FT 'experts' just feel the need to overcomplicate it so that they can 'talk down' to the people with the simple solutions. Trust me, I managed automotive engineers for years. When they got done eye-rolling and hemming and hawing, they eventually finessed my fine advice.

Any my point remains that the risk is not small. We LITERALLY just saw it happen, very easily.
I think that people with direct experience in aviation are saying that while your solution sounds simple, it is actually very complex. Aviation is so safe because everything is designed and certified for a roughly one in a billion probability of failure. Even the most simple change, like a new type of light bulb, can’t be quickly implemented by an airline.

The tough question here is whether this type of rare event (unauthorized use by an approved employee) needs to be protected against or if it is significantly rare.