Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

LAX Alaska Lounge leaves much to be desired

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX Alaska Lounge leaves much to be desired

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: Fly paid F/J. DL 2MM+.
Every Alaska lounge I’ve been in appears to be on par with a double wide trailer outfitted with picnic tables and lawn chairs.

Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KeepDeltaMyDelta
Every Alaska lounge I’ve been in appears to be on par with a double wide trailer outfitted with picnic tables and lawn chairs.

At least they have picnic tables and lawn chairs. Try the AA PREMIUM Lounge in DFW D terminal. It seriously needs to be renamed BASIC Economy Lounge. Not need for picnic tables because the F&B offering is only suitable to be eaten out of a trough.

The Garuda Executive Lounge in DPS was a disaster and I found the CX F Wing lounge to be cold and impersonal. Food Meh! 25 Mintues to cook a 2" × 2" piece of fish that took less than minute to eat. Lounges are hit & miss. Alaska is beteer than many, not as good as some, if comparring apples and oranges, but generally friendly and consistent. AS is improving, AA is closing clubs.

James
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
At least they have picnic tables and lawn chairs. Try the AA PREMIUM Lounge in DFW D terminal. It seriously needs to be renamed BASIC Economy Lounge. Not need for picnic tables because the F&B offering is only suitable to be eaten out of a trough.

The Garuda Executive Lounge in DPS was a disaster and I found the CX F Wing lounge to be cold and impersonal. Food Meh! 25 Mintues to cook a 2" × 2" piece of fish that took less than minute to eat. Lounges are hit & miss. Alaska is beteer than many, not as good as some, if comparring apples and oranges, but generally friendly and consistent. AS is improving, AA is closing clubs.

James
Agree AS is expanding its lounges, and trying something different. However... comparing CX F Wing to AS... umm no I'll take some dandan noodles and a burger any day, with my massage
Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
Agree AS is expanding its lounges, and trying something different. However... comparing CX F Wing to AS... umm no I'll take some dandan noodles and a burger any day, with my massage
I wasn't trying to compare AS to CX. Not sure how you drew that reference. I was just illustrating that sometimes overrated underperforms and underrated overpreforms. I didn't enjoy the CX F Wing and I didn't have time to check out the other Lounges to compare. Meh, was my experience. I flew SYD-MEL today and spent a few hours in the QF Domestic Business Lounge and enjoyed it more.

James
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
I wasn't trying to compare AS to CX. Not sure how you drew that reference. I was just illustrating that sometimes overrated underperforms and underrated overpreforms. I didn't enjoy the CX F Wing and I didn't have time to check out the other Lounges to compare. Meh, was my experience. I flew SYD-MEL today and spent a few hours in the QF Domestic Business Lounge and enjoyed it more.

James
It's a pretty easy comparison to draw, since you just did exactly that with AS, AA, GA, CX and now QF.

I've read great things about GA's longhaul onboard hard and soft product, but have yet to try it, is that what you flew?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
It's a pretty easy comparison to draw, since you just did exactly that with AS, AA, GA, CX and now QF.

I've read great things about GA's longhaul onboard hard and soft product, but have yet to try it, is that what you flew?
Hmmm, I still don't see where I compared AS with CX, unless you are referring to my apples & oranges statement and thinking both were apples or both oranges. There I acknowledged that they were very much different and any inferrence otherwise was not my intent.

I was trying to illustrate that lounges can be hit or miss no matter what class you put them in. In doing so, I was providing examples from my experience where "Premium" Lounges had come up short, a real miss!

My first F lounge was EK in LAX then DXB. After that experience, for me, everything else has come up a little short. I agree that AS & CX are not in the same league. I also think that the hype of CX F on here perhaps raised my expectations too high. I was disappointed. I will see how their MEL Lounge is. It doesn't have particularly good reviews but I may be surprised. In a few weeks I will check out the other HKG CX lounges as well as the QF lounges in HKG & SYD international.

As for GA, I have never flown them. I just attened their "s@!t show" lounge in DPS granted through a KL J flight.

James

PS Why is it so hard to get Tequila on the rocks with a twist of lime?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:04 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Following up:

1. The image of the AC card was fine for entry. So a comment one time at AS lounge in SEA remains the only issue (and we were let in).
2. Lounge was not that full when we arrived, and even less so when we left. Yet they still had a sign indicating that they were not allowing in PP due to "space."
(While I might say that this benefits us as the lounge was less crowded, I don't like it as policy. Either participate or don't, but don't make things up).

The lounge was similar to other AS lounges - some soup, salad makings, cheese. More complete bar, which was nice. Mediocre wine choices (no, I really didn't expect too much better, but a bit ).

Overall, not a bad place to spend some time.

Cheers.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Next time you visit DPS, check out the PP-accessible Premier lounge; I also had access as a *G on BR. I found it quite lovely.

As Alaska has grown, Club capacity has not really kept up with increasing numbers of passengers. A decade ago I felt that the Board Rooms felt like boutique hotels; today they feel crowded. Also, it is entirely inexcusable that they do not have clubs in all hubs (i.e. SFO) along with focus cities like SAN and SJC. I realize that AS is a different animal than UA or WN, but it needs to have a more competitive lounge product. If I was managing the club product for Alaska, I would offer eligible guests a voucher they could use at SFO (say two glasses of wine at Vino Volo or $20 of food etc) until we could have some sort of club.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Next time you visit DPS, check out the PP-accessible Premier lounge; I also had access as a *G on BR. I found it quite lovely.

As Alaska has grown, Club capacity has not really kept up with increasing numbers of passengers. A decade ago I felt that the Board Rooms felt like boutique hotels; today they feel crowded. Also, it is entirely inexcusable that they do not have clubs in all hubs (i.e. SFO) along with focus cities like SAN and SJC. I realize that AS is a different animal than UA or WN, but it needs to have a more competitive lounge product. If I was managing the club product for Alaska, I would offer eligible guests a voucher they could use at SFO (say two glasses of wine at Vino Volo or $20 of food etc) until we could have some sort of club.
Exactly. The lack of ANY lounge at SFO is totally unacceptable.
Especially since they had a lounge- VX's- and chose to walk away.
Totally unacceptable.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by brp
Following up:

1. The image of the AC card was fine for entry. So a comment one time at AS lounge in SEA remains the only issue (and we were let in).
2. Lounge was not that full when we arrived, and even less so when we left. Yet they still had a sign indicating that they were not allowing in PP due to "space."
(While I might say that this benefits us as the lounge was less crowded, I don't like it as policy. Either participate or don't, but don't make things up).

The lounge was similar to other AS lounges - some soup, salad makings, cheese. More complete bar, which was nice. Mediocre wine choices (no, I really didn't expect too much better, but a bit ).

Overall, not a bad place to spend some time.

Cheers.
There are multiple reports of the Alaska Lounges having the No PP sign out even when there is plenty of space so this has been an ongoing issue that they partially resolved by breaking ties with PP in SEA and I honestly think PDX and LAX will quit allowing PP in the near future since the sign is out there virtually all the time.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Legend717
Exactly. The lack of ANY lounge at SFO is totally unacceptable.
Especially since they had a lounge- VX's- and chose to walk away.
Totally unacceptable.
Wasn't VX using VS's Clubhouse (pre security to boot) at SFO? I thought the only Loft location was LAX?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by rustykettel

Wasn't VX using VS's Clubhouse (pre security to boot) at SFO? I thought the only Loft location was LAX?
AFAIK this is accurate. And the T3 LAX Lounge used to be used by AS Great views from there!
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:17 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by beckoa
And the T3 LAX Lounge used to be used by AS
Originally the TWA Ambassador Club, I believe.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
Originally the TWA Ambassador Club, I believe.
Yup, one TWA button was still in an elevator for quite a while when AS was operating the lounge ^
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by rustykettel

Correct. And a visit was $45 or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.