FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   LAX Alaska Lounge leaves much to be desired (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1924477-lax-alaska-lounge-leaves-much-desired.html)

Legend717 Aug 10, 2018 7:28 am

LAX Alaska Lounge leaves much to be desired

I’m typing this from the LAX Boardroom Alaska Lounge, as a new-within-the-last-year AS flyer.
While I know to set my expectations for AS lounges fairly....modest, this is pretty bad. By 05:40AM:

The pancake machine is broken. (NOT out of batter, but completely broken. Yes, it's as apocalyptic as it sounds!)
The fancy pants soda machine is out of just about every beverage syrup.
There are ice cubes all over the floor.
The oatmeal bucket is empty. Before 6am.
The floor is dirty.
The men’s room is out of Kleenex.
There are very few plugs in seating areas to charge my phone.
The employees are wearing trashy t-shirts that make them look like volunteers at a summer camp. (ok, they won an award for something. Great. But it's pretty trashy.)
And, to the surprise of several guests in here, the bar tender (who was actually the front desk attendant, and came over every so often to see if anyone was waiting at the bar) is not accepting cash payments for orders off the food menu. He says this is a cashless Lounge.

I understand cashless cabins, totally. But a lounge, on the ground? I’ve never seen the folks at the United Club turn down cash.... maybe I just haven’t been paying attention?

It’s not all bad. The employees are friendly, and the bathroom is clean. And hey.... OCEAN CITRON!

As a relatively new convert to AS, traveling on paid F tickets, I feel like Alaska could do better here. Between this and my disappointing experience in the brand new Seattle Lounge, I would never in a hundred years actually PAY for this ‘privilege’.

Is this par for the course, in you guys’ experiences?

sfozrhfco Aug 10, 2018 7:33 am

The first time I entered, I literally walked in and was like, this is it? Not paying for it, is is ok as the AS terminal at LAX can at times be a total zoo. As I don't drink alcohol and find no value in the poor selection of food products they offer, I would never pay to enter it.

obnoxoid Aug 10, 2018 9:04 am

I am loving that Ocean Citron is now a running in-joke.

I've always found the LAX AS Lounge staff to be extremely nice to me, and the staff working the bar to make a good Bloody Mary, but other than that, I've usually found it to be an absolute zoo. I only really drop in sometimes around noon before LAX-DCA if I have access, and the lounge will be bursting at the seams to the point where I've seen folks sit on the floor. At that point you might as well head back to the gate.

JacksonFlyer Aug 10, 2018 9:21 am

I have been in the LAX lounge many times and have never experienced the series of events you encountered, hope it was an "off" day and after your post, I hope you sent a copy to Alaska Listens. I have had a love/hate relationship with the various lounges but ultimately it does serve what I need; a place were I can read (if quiet) or invite a guest who is travelling with me that rarely travel and find it a "treat". If LAX is packed I can easily see how it could be looked upon as a Zoo. The Seattle D gate lounge is always a buzz of activity and depending on the time of day, difficult to get a seat if you are traveling with more than 2 people particularly when it appears that everyone else is oblivious to the fact that they are not the only guests in the lounge. N gate, well it is temporary and I cannot stand the one bathroom. C gate I really do enjoy as you can sit at the bar, read and watch sports as well as aircraft taking off and the little ones are not allowed in that area (again, nothing personal parents). PDX is the one I am beginning to almost loathe; small with cramped seating, only beer and wine (State law), very minimal options of food, loud business men on phones, children running about, BUT great attendants who know their customers and are polite to everyone including folks trying to work the system to get in when they cannot.

I guess it comes down to that I can afford it and it works for me though I agree, there is a lot that can be improved.

davistev Aug 10, 2018 9:40 am

Overall, I find the LAX lounge to have a dark drab feeling even though there are many windows. Perhaps upgrade the lighting to newer halogen bright lights rather than the yellowish dull lighting. The seats are uncomfortable and I would be much happier if they had some recliners in place to stretch and relax. As far as the food goes, it has always been soup / salad with very little variety.

zoefish Aug 11, 2018 11:39 pm

The staff are very friendly, but the lounge could use an update. More outlets, better lighting, and slightly better food. They charge for bottled water, which I dislike given the number of free beer/wine/liquor options.

scubadu Aug 12, 2018 8:10 am

Ok, I'll bite, don't most Alaska Lounges "leave much to be desired?" I mean none of their lounges are world class or industry leading, no?

Regards

jimmygottfredson Aug 12, 2018 11:47 am

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 30073838)
Ok, I'll bite, don't most Alaska Lounges "leave much to be desired?" I mean none of their lounges are world class or industry leading, no?

Regards

I generally agree Alaska could do better on the lounges, but I really enjoy the JFK lounge. Nice views, roomy and the staff is good. Food is lacking at every Alaska Lounge I have visited, although I've never been to the Portland or Anchorage one.

CMK10 Aug 12, 2018 12:09 pm

I'm old enough to remember the T3 AS Lounge (former Admirals Club, former Ambassadors Club). The current LAX lounge at least beats that.

Also as to the lounge being cashless, I believe that's the case at all US airline lounges now.

Flying for Fun Aug 12, 2018 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 30074446)
I'm old enough to remember the T3 AS Lounge (former Admirals Club, former Ambassadors Club). The current LAX lounge at least beats that.

Also as to the lounge being cashless, I believe that's the case at all US airline lounges now.

Do you remember the Alaska Lounge at YVR? ;) Cashless is better at least from a 3 mile per $1 spend ratio on the Alaska Mastercard/Visa. :)

James

pcoll Aug 12, 2018 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 30074446)

When T3 became VX Lounge( after AS moved to T6), that was a great lounge.
Since they used it for international flights, the fresh food selection was amazing. Individually plated items....Assorted Sushi Platters,Seared Ahi Tuna with Mixed Greens, Fruit and Cheese Plates, small bowls of mixed nuts etc. We paid for day passes and really enjoyed it. Still same great view AS had and no lounge crowding.
After VX built their "international lounge" services at T-3 all but disappeared. Many times, nothing to offer and they could have cared less about that. Lounge sent me an email offering us free visits, but we declined as we were flying out of T-6 by then.

PDXPremier Aug 12, 2018 5:48 pm

On a positive note, when traveling with my kids, I appreciate the fact that this lounge has a kids room which I think is unique to the LAX lounge although it's a moot point since this lounge is unofficially off limits to Priority Pass holders.

Legend717 Aug 15, 2018 4:18 pm

Well, I'm glad that everyone didn't jump down my throat and immediately tell me how fantastically awesome the AS LAX lounge is!

And to those of you who defended it, I tend to agree with what you're saying. The staff WERE friendly. The lounge DOES serve a purpose of some sort.
But having paid F and been excited about my first trip to the LAX lounge, it left me missing (never thought I'd say that!) the United Club!
I'm still much happier with AS overall than UA overall.
But the lounge was a big let down.
ESPECIALLY WITHOUT THE PANCAKE MACHINE!!!
I need an emotional support giraffe/piglet/capybara to help me through that particular crisis.

jimmygottfredson Aug 15, 2018 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Legend717 (Post 30087050)
But having paid F and been excited about my first trip to the LAX lounge, it left me missing (never thought I'd say that!) the United Club!
I'm still much happier with AS overall than UA overall.

I also really enjoy the new United Club in terminal 7. Big and roomy, decent food, beautiful bar, outdoor seating. Most of United's other clubs aren't near as nice, but Alaska could take a note or two from United at LAX.

beckoa Aug 15, 2018 7:34 pm

The LAX AS BR is Awesome :D

Happy? :)

They were very gracious hosts for our final VX afterparty a few months back ^