Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS earnings on upgraded SQ flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

AS earnings on upgraded SQ flights?

If I buy a premium economy ticket on SQ and upgrade with SQ miles to business class, how many miles will I earn on AS?

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...apore-airlines

I know on many US carriers there is an 'upgrade' fare class that credits you the original paid fare class, however I can't seem to find this for SQ, and in any case I'm not sure how it would work for the non-alliance partner.

AS earning rates for partners' business and first are phenomenal, so I'm trying to figure out whether it is worth it to buy business or just buy PE and upgrade.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Alaska MVP
99% chance you earn based on your original class of service as you would on AS itself, but if anyone has DPs otherwise, it'd certainly be interesting.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ktenorman
99% chance you earn based on your original class of service as you would on AS itself, but if anyone has DPs otherwise, it'd certainly be interesting.
I 100% agree with your 99% estimate. I have paid for an upgrade on KLM (while still a partner) to J from restricted Y and was credited with the original booking class. It was a flight from DPS-SIN. Only 2.5 hours but he seat selection, lounge access, inflight meal and beverage service, extra space, lie-flat seat and souvenir BOLS AMSTERDAM 1575 Canal Home was worth the 99€ upgrade fee if not for the experience alone.

If the boarding pass of a SQ PE ticket upgraded to J or F shows as a business or first class ticket with a class that is eligible to credit to AS; ie it doesn't show anything indicating it was upgraded with points, I would not attach my AS number and submit it to Mileage Plan for manual credit.

James
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Delving further into SQ Awards & Upgrades I see that a business award/upgrade is I class and a First award/upgrade is O class. Original booking class is credited to KrisFlyer Accounts.

Crediting to AS would also be at original booking class. AS would know that an I or O class boarding pass was an upgrade.

SQ only allows one-cabin upgrades and Y to J is only possible on flights without PE. You can upgrade from PE to J or J to F but not PE to F.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.