Wiki Posts
Search

Weird upgrade processor behavior

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Weird upgrade processor behavior

Flying out of LAX this morning I had the upgrade processor do a weird thing. I had been upgraded to premium at T-48 and had an exit row window (pmVX plane). There were 4 people on the upgrade list, including me, all already with PC. When I got to the gate I checked the app to see if I'd gotten an F upgrade and it showed two people with F upgrades, with the other two gone from the list. My BP had changed to "see agent for seat assignment", but there was no agent at the gate yet. When I checked the "awaiting seats" list, I'd been moved to that. The agent at the next gate just said to wait for someone to show up. I went out to ticketing instead, and it turned out I had gotten the upgrade and the agent there printed me a bp.

I'm happy for the upgrade, but it seems like bad processor behavior to put people in apparent limbo half an hour before boarding. Is this expected behavior? I haven't seen it before- usually the last minute upgrades assign me a seat rather than bouncing me to limbo.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by chrisl137
I'm happy for the upgrade, but it seems like bad processor behavior to put people in apparent limbo half an hour before boarding. Is this expected behavior? I haven't seen it before- usually the last minute upgrades assign me a seat rather than bouncing me to limbo.
Yes this does happen sometimes. The seat assignment process doesn’t complete, for some reason. Often enough that it makes me happy when I see it.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Weird - it seems a little sloppy, but I can't really complain. I got a lot more sleep than I would have in back, plus breakfast.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Was this an airbus series aircraft?

AS seems to be clearing these at T-4 or so, and not giving us a choice of seats.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
Apparently there is an issue with the auto upgrade program upgrading people and not checking them in and issuing a BP as it should. You will have to check in with an agent to get everything solved…kiosks, phones, computers don’t work for this for some reason. Only an agent at the airport can mend it. Anyone at the airport should be able to do this by checking you in again (as if you never checked in in the first place, works best at ticket counters though gate agents can do it as well…just tell them you haven’t checked in).
Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Was this an airbus series aircraft?
Yes, it was an airbus. I had also previously been in an exit row - IIRC it it said "exit row" above the "sea agent"

Originally Posted by brettsir
Apparently there is an issue with the auto upgrade program upgrading people and not checking them in and issuing a BP as it should. You will have to check in with an agent to get everything solved…kiosks, phones, computers don’t work for this for some reason. Only an agent at the airport can mend it. Anyone at the airport should be able to do this by checking you in again (as if you never checked in in the first place, works best at ticket counters though gate agents can do it as well…just tell them you haven’t checked in).
I went back out to the ticket desk since there wasn't anybody at the gate yet and told them "I had a seat, now I don't - can you tell me what happened?" and showed her my boarding pass. She found the upgrade and printed me a boarding pass. About 15 minutes later it showed up in the app.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
I had a weird upgrade experience to FC earlier this week. I was originally scheduled 7:37pm DAL to PDX, but that morning Alaska notified me that the flight was severely delayed due to ATC (new flight time departing 11:25pm arriving in PDX 1:30am!!). I had been upgraded to FC on that Alaska Skywest flight, but I had to find another flight because the last shuttle to Salem (my home) is 12:45am.

Alaska phone agent in Seattle was super nice and moved me to the 3:15 DFW to PDX flight, putting me in premium class. I was super happy. I got to the airport, was first in the upgrade list, and boarded with my mobile app, and towards the end of the boarding process, an older lady comes up and has a printed boarding pass with the same seat number in row 10 as me. So, she says, "Maybe you were upgraded." She went to get the flight attendant. And the FA comes back with a boarding pass for me for FC. And, the lady who had my same premium class seat says to me, "Oh, that was originally my seat in FC, but they moved me back to premium just before boarding. You must have had higher status." And I was apologetic, and she laughed and in good humour said, "No you're not, go take the first class seat and enjoy your meal." I don't really have a reason to disbelieve the lady's story. I've often seen FA's upgrade elite customers after boarding is almost complete to empty FC seats, and I really appreciate Alaska doing this (AA gate agents, under time pressure, have a history of flying off without even bothering to process upgrades). But, in this instance, Alaska did not move me to an open FC seat, but instead switched me with another customer after I had boarded. I wonder if that is part of the weird IT upgrade processor behavior? The Korean chicken and lemon tart were tasty.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MJMLBBtoCPH
I had a weird upgrade experience to FC earlier this week. I was originally scheduled 7:37pm DAL to PDX, but that morning Alaska notified me that the flight was severely delayed due to ATC (new flight time departing 11:25pm arriving in PDX 1:30am!!). I had been upgraded to FC on that Alaska Skywest flight, but I had to find another flight because the last shuttle to Salem (my home) is 12:45am.

Alaska phone agent in Seattle was super nice and moved me to the 3:15 DFW to PDX flight, putting me in premium class. I was super happy. I got to the airport, was first in the upgrade list, and boarded with my mobile app, and towards the end of the boarding process, an older lady comes up and has a printed boarding pass with the same seat number in row 10 as me. So, she says, "Maybe you were upgraded." She went to get the flight attendant. And the FA comes back with a boarding pass for me for FC. And, the lady who had my same premium class seat says to me, "Oh, that was originally my seat in FC, but they moved me back to premium just before boarding. You must have had higher status." And I was apologetic, and she laughed and in good humour said, "No you're not, go take the first class seat and enjoy your meal." I don't really have a reason to disbelieve the lady's story. I've often seen FA's upgrade elite customers after boarding is almost complete to empty FC seats, and I really appreciate Alaska doing this (AA gate agents, under time pressure, have a history of flying off without even bothering to process upgrades). But, in this instance, Alaska did not move me to an open FC seat, but instead switched me with another customer after I had boarded. I wonder if that is part of the weird IT upgrade processor behavior? The Korean chicken and lemon tart were tasty.
Weird? Yes. IT issue? No. Everything done at the airport is manual. The lady was probably upgraded before you were rebooked on the flight and held lower status. The gate agents probably saw your status and saw that someone with lower status was upgraded to first, took it away from her, gave it to you, and didn’t make it on the plane to clarify.
Should this have happened? Probably not. Even though the lady had lower status than you, her upgrade was confirmed before you were even on the flight, so the first class seat was hers. This upgrade was probably due to agent misinformation but luckily all parties were understanding. Why the upgraded lady was in row 10 instead of her FC seat is confusing, but so is this whole situation.

The Korean chicken sounds great. Can’t wait to try. Did you get ice cream though? If so was it the vanilla caramel one??
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
Originally Posted by brettsir

The Korean chicken sounds great. Can’t wait to try. Did you get ice cream though? If so was it the vanilla caramel one??
No, i wasn't served any ice cream, just the lemon tart/pie for dessert.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:47 pm

After I check-in via mobile app, my name doesn’t show up on the waitlist half the time and I need to go to the gate agent to manually add me. I’m fairly new to Alaska elite status, is this a common issue?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by BaconSF
After I check-in via mobile app, my name doesn’t show up on the waitlist half the time and I need to go to the gate agent to manually add me. I’m fairly new to Alaska elite status, is this a common issue?
Yes, particularly if you have same-day-confirmed a change on to the new flight. There's a handful of threads about broken upgrades if you dig around here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.