Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Lounges (2020 and Earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:32 pm

New SFO lounge?

I was in the JFK lounge this morning. Yes, the space is updated and comfy (and pretty empty)...and the offerings were underwhelming. But one of the staff affirmed that AS is planning a new lounge at SFO — of course it makes sense since it’s a major hub for them. No real details or timeline...so take it with a grain of salt 😉.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Just noticed on the AS website that next month the D lounge will be closing an hour earlier starting next month (10pm Sun-Fri & 9pm Sat).

9pm is pretty dang early to be closing... even 10pm is early given how many times I've flown out of SEA after midnight. Is it a seasonal change?
Luckily the other lounges are open later if you're trapped with a late flight... seems odd to close so early on Saturdays though.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by nearlysober
Just noticed on the AS website that next month the D lounge will be closing an hour earlier starting next month (10pm Sun-Fri & 9pm Sat).

9pm is pretty dang early to be closing... even 10pm is early given how many times I've flown out of SEA after midnight. Is it a seasonal change?
Luckily the other lounges are open later if you're trapped with a late flight... seems odd to close so early on Saturdays though.
Maybe they're trying to not have a lot of action near the low D gates? High D is now American (from the last time I came in).
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Maybe they're trying to not have a lot of action near the low D gates? High D is now American (from the last time I came in).
And maybe with some of the new N gates open the late flights will be more concentrated out in N and the end of C?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: AS 1MM/MVPG, AS Lounge, DL SkyClub (Life), Hertz 5* -- AA, DL, UA
JFK Lounge T7 experience

My first time at this lounge. Very empty of pax, who were out-numbered by staff (on a Sat). Nice views, but food is about same as west coast AL's. No Treveri; "American champagne" from J. Roget is the offering, local, as with the beer. Staff very friendly.

No service desk that I could see.

Men's restroom: anyone opening the door will slam anyone standing at hand-towel dispenser. Poor layout.

I normally use EWR, but changed to JFK to check out the lounge. On balance, I'd prefer EWR and Admiral's Club over this. Acceptable, but not a game-changer.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by akdancer
I normally use EWR, but changed to JFK to check out the lounge. On balance, I'd prefer EWR and Admiral's Club over this.
If EWR is geographically better, understandable. I find the EWR AC depressing and way past its prime. The AS club at JFK has more light, great views and a better complimentary bar.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
If EWR is geographically better, understandable. I find the EWR AC depressing and way past its prime. The AS club at JFK has more light, great views and a better complimentary bar.
Good point on geography, but from Manhattan I think EWR is easier to get to than JFK, though the TSA gantlet at EWR is awful. Trade-offs?!

Back when we lived in Brooklyn Hghts, with no AS at JFK, EWR was "the place". Maybe I just know it better, and now having been to the JFK AL, I would not hurry back. Agree that it's attractive compared to AC at EWR, but neither has a service desk for AS pax - perhaps that should be prominently noted by AS.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:37 pm

Good point on geography, but from Manhattan I think EWR is easier to get to than JFK, though the TSA gantlet at EWR is awful. Trade-offs?!

Back when we lived in Brooklyn Hghts, with no AS at JFK, EWR was "the place". Maybe I just know it better, and now having been to the JFK AL, I would not hurry back. Agree that it's attractive compared to AC at EWR, but neither has a service desk for AS pax - perhaps that should be prominently noted by AS.
When I was primarily based in Manhattan (west side), I avoided EWR. Most traffic nightmares to/from airport were associated with EWR. I am generally pleased with the LIRR>Airtrain (or even the subway if I'm coming from midtown east) to JFK.

As for the service desk, I don't think there are any AS employees at JFK. They seem to be outsourced, so I'm not sure what they'd do in the lounge other than call AS reservations. My only data point is that I once had an issue with an AA booked award where the AS computer insisted needed a paper ticket. It was clear that the check-in counter staff were third-party (they spent 15 min on phone with AS), and maybe the gate too (10 min on phone after counter staff failed to correct the PNR). I do think I've seen the guard/dragon/bouncer person at the door trying to help someone with a ticket once, though (probably calling AS).
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:25 pm

When I was primarily based in Manhattan (west side), I avoided EWR. Most traffic nightmares to/from airport were associated with EWR. I am generally pleased with the LIRR>Airtrain (or even the subway if I'm coming from midtown east) to JFK.

As for the service desk, I don't think there are any AS employees at JFK. They seem to be outsourced, so I'm not sure what they'd do in the lounge other than call AS reservations. My only data point is that I once had an issue with an AA booked award where the AS computer insisted needed a paper ticket. It was clear that the check-in counter staff were third-party (they spent 15 min on phone with AS), and maybe the gate too (10 min on phone after counter staff failed to correct the PNR). I do think I've seen the guard/dragon/bouncer person at the door trying to help someone with a ticket once, though (probably calling AS).
Thanks for your observations. Driving to JFK much easier than to EWR (esp. last Sat. - 35 min), but I'd take MTA/NJT/AirTrain to EWR over MTA/AirTrain to JFK. (I rarely used LIRR, and taking PATH to EWR is unattractive - but good to have as Plan B.)

About staffing at JFK's AL: I had extensive conversations with 3 employees there last Sat. (More employees than guests that day!) They *are* AS employees, but non-union. Any service desk must be staffed by union people. So if that's accurate, there is little they can do. What I wonder is whether AS will leave it like that, or ever add the service desk people.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:57 pm

They *are* AS employees, but non-union. Any service desk must be staffed by union people.
Interesting. Are the check-in counters staffed the same way or third-party? Either way, they seem woefully incapable of anything but the most basic check-in functions (not incompetent, just untrained/not authorized).
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
As for the service desk, I don't think there are any AS employees at JFK. They seem to be outsourced, so I'm not sure what they'd do in the lounge other than call AS reservations. My only data point is that I once had an issue with an AA booked award where the AS computer insisted needed a paper ticket.
Of course, Alaska Lounge staff are unable to help with reservations at any of their locations, even in SEA, because they're non-union (as noted by @akdancer). It's a rather odd situation that AS has put themselves in, since on other airlines, the excellent assistance with rebooking when needed is one of the biggest perks of the lounges.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
Of course, Alaska Lounge staff are unable to help with reservations at any of their locations, even in SEA, because they're non-union (as noted by @akdancer). It's a rather odd situation that AS has put themselves in, since on other airlines, the excellent assistance with rebooking when needed is one of the biggest perks of the lounges.
The lounge employees are “managers,” hence not being part of the union. I would imagine the union contract prevents employees from performing these type of duties or AS needs some measure of flexibility in the duties being performed. Regardless, there’s probably a good reason since managers are more expensive to employ then non-managers.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ashill
Yes, and as you'll notice with just about every other airline lounge, the entire F&B service staff is contracted out, unlike at AS. I've been quietly screaming for years to have a desk with an authorized (i.e., union) agent. I recall my "you've got to be effing kidding me" reaction likely in the early 90s the first time I was sent out of the lounge to deal with an agent-required situation.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K + BR, TSA Pre-√, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum Elite
PDX Lounge

Probably already been posted, but how long is the PDX lounge closed for renovations?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K + BR, TSA Pre-√, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum Elite
PDX Lounge

Probably already been posted, but how long is the PDX lounge closed for renovations?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.