Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Lounges (2020 and Earlier)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2020, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
LOL...maybe those little cans of non-carbonated juice would be better Since PDX gift shops sell sodas/juice as "normal" prices, I could grab an assortment of sodas before boarding and sell them for $3-4 a pop (pun intended) on the plane....my own little version of Spirit Airlines
Of course, then you'd charge the passengers another $25 or whatever it is, to carry that extra item onboard your "little version of Spirit Airlines."
PDXPremier likes this.
Old May 2, 2020, 10:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Do we think the SFO lounge is doomed due to the current situation? That would be a bummer.
Old May 2, 2020, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Or just bring the cooler and fill up with ice in the lounge.
The OP mentioned he was in PDX. The lounge is not open there. When I was in the SEA D lounge on April 4th they had bottled water & juices. No ice was available.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Of course, then you'd charge the passengers another $25 or whatever it is, to carry that extra item onboard your "little version of Spirit Airlines."
I doubt AS would be in favour of running a side business to their customers.

In the "Spirit" of coming together by staying apart. I would bring along a collapsible cooler bag, frozen ice packs, elastics and wet wipes. I would purchase a couple dozen assorted beverages (sufficient supplies for everyone onboard, including crew) from an airport vendor who retails at street prices, attach a wet wipe to each beverage with an elastic and hand them out complimentary to everyone onboard that would like one. I wouldn't accept any payment but would ask anyone insisting that they make a small donation to the cause or to a charity of their choosing. If I make just one passenger smile, it is worth infinitely more than the money.

James
Old May 4, 2020, 12:53 am

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Originally Posted by JHake10
Do we think the SFO lounge is doomed due to the current situation? That would be a bummer.
Not speaking officially, but I don't think so. The contracts to build the lounge were signed a long time ago and payments have likely already commenced. Last time I emailed for more info (pre-covid) they said expect SFO to open sometime in the second half of 2020. Construction has resumed in the County of San Francisco. If anyone has news on the SFO lounge I'd love to hear it.
JHake10 likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by John26
Not speaking officially, but I don't think so. The contracts to build the lounge were signed a long time ago and payments have likely already commenced. Last time I emailed for more info (pre-covid) they said expect SFO to open sometime in the second half of 2020. Construction has resumed in the County of San Francisco. If anyone has news on the SFO lounge I'd love to hear it.
Maybe it'll get done early
tusphotog, GW McLintock and DrAlex like this.
Old May 6, 2020, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by John26
Originally Posted by beckoa
Maybe it'll get done early
If the contracts were already signed I wonder if the construction is already committed but the lounge may not operate right away. In that case they can open up "quickly" once they decide to do so (rather than having a half finished lounge). If this lounge isn't happening anymore I don't think I'll renew my AS Lounge Membership.
Old May 6, 2020, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JHake10
If the contracts were already signed I wonder if the construction is already committed but the lounge may not operate right away. In that case they can open up "quickly" once they decide to do so (rather than having a half finished lounge). If this lounge isn't happening anymore I don't think I'll renew my AS Lounge Membership.
I really hope they don't give up on the SFO lounge although originally I thought I'd be connecting in SFO a lot more after the VX merger, but that hasn't materialized.
Old May 7, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
It's pure speculation of course, but I have to imagine from a simple project management standpoint all the contracts for the SFO lounge are signed, sealed, and delivered. Most of the furnishings are custom with long lead times, etc.

Now, whether they try and save money by not staffing it is another story, but if you are already paying the lease to SFO, you might as well have it open. Might even catch the eye of a few disillusioned AA flyers and get them to jump ship on AAdvantage.
Old May 7, 2020, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by navydevildoc
It's pure speculation of course, but I have to imagine from a simple project management standpoint all the contracts for the SFO lounge are signed, sealed, and delivered. Most of the furnishings are custom with long lead times, etc.

Now, whether they try and save money by not staffing it is another story, but if you are already paying the lease to SFO, you might as well have it open. Might even catch the eye of a few disillusioned AA flyers and get them to jump ship on AAdvantage.
I'm hoping for that too. They can even make money from Priority Pass if needed (hopefully they monitor crowding).
Old May 7, 2020, 9:34 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by jiburi
Was there Saturday morning 4/25. Only upper areas were open. Had coffee served from kitchen, lots of grab and go food; banana, prepackaged trail mixes cookies and muffins. At the time, there were about 10 other patrons.

Jiburi
So the bar is closed at SEA/D? No alcohol, just coffee and soft drinks...?
Old May 8, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
So the bar is closed at SEA/D? No alcohol, just coffee and soft drinks...?
It's what most people are saying. I understand the dilemma, their ABC (or whatever it's called in Washington) license probably requires the alcohol to be "served" by a person, even if it's opening a can. You can't just have a trough of beer and wine cans. So, that's an extra contact point they are trying to eliminate.

Now of course, I am extremely bummed as I find the beer is an excellent perk of AL membership; it's good choices and a perfect way to relax during a connection. But I get where they are coming from.
Old May 13, 2020, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Stopped by the AS Lounge in SEA today and it was about 25% full with both floors open. There were no pre-packaged salads that I saw pictured previously somewhere in this thread I think. It felt like being back in the "Club at SEA" when they had a selection of grab and go snacks. Options included Lay's Potato chips, Chewy Quaker granola bars, Oreo cookies, Grandma's Chocolate Chip cookies, self-serve canned soda (no juice that I saw), and Starbucks Coffee available in to-go cups from the staff. All-in-all a good selection given the current situation and although I'm thankful AS chose to keep at least one AS Lounge open (unlike AA which closed every single AC), I'm counting the days for re-opening of the PDX lounge and the return of the pancake machine....I'm even willing to give up pushing the button if they could just have a staff member serve it
Old May 14, 2020, 8:17 am

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
PDXPremier,

Very uplifting to read your positive attitude in this adverse time.
I, too, miss the pancakes ;-)
Old May 14, 2020, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Curious, was the bar open? Individual cans of beer would even be adequate, especially in SEA with so many local options.

I, too, appreciate your update. Sounds like they have a good operation going for the interim.

-J.
Old May 21, 2020, 11:18 am

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Had my first fight since 3/14 (EUG-SEA-SJC) yesterday and did get a couple of hours at the SEA D lounge. As others have said, masks required with most complying understanding that since most are in there eating and drinking, they are not on as much. The food offerings were all pre-packaged but not bad. On the first floor they had granola bar selection, potato chips, Oreos, wrapped apples and in the fridge had bottled water, string cheese, baby carrots and ranch dressing. They also provided cans of soft drinks if asked. I did not go upstairs but they said they did have beer in cans up there. It was pretty busy with at least 20+ people on the first floor. All seemed to be doing a good job of distancing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.