Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SEATAC is a bad airport--what happens if not on a partner airline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEATAC is a bad airport--what happens if not on a partner airline?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
Smile

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
If you have to fly Victoria-PDX in the future, how about doing it through Vancouver (YVR) and doing the customs pre-clearance there, and taking a "domestic" nonstop flight from Vancouver to PDX? That would avoid the fustercluck that is currently International Arrivals at SEA.
very good idea. But if I have the opportunity to go to the very beautiful Victoria again, I'm gonna drive to Port Angeles or Anacortes and take the ferry. 5 hour drive and 2 hour ferry ride but at least it will be pretty and under my own control
Old May 15, 2018, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by bigbirdwithsilverwings
very good idea. But if I have the opportunity to go to the very beautiful Victoria again, I'm gonna drive to Port Angeles or Anacortes and take the ferry. 5 hour drive and 2 hour ferry ride but at least it will be pretty and under my own control
Another scenic but faster option is the seaplane. Kenmore Air goes from Victoria Harbor to Lake Union near downtown. Customs is handled on arrival and takes minutes. They run a connecting shuttle to Sea-Tac for $20. Probably faster than the AS routing once you count in airport transit and the transfer mess.
Old May 16, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
If you have to fly Victoria-PDX in the future, how about doing it through Vancouver (YVR) and doing the customs pre-clearance there, and taking a "domestic" nonstop flight from Vancouver to PDX? That would avoid the fustercluck that is currently International Arrivals at SEA.
In my limited experience, bad idea in practice. My one experience flying YYF-YVR-SEA (a similar route to YYJ-YVR-SEA) is that Customs preclearance took much longer than Customs in SEA. You have to clear security in YVR before Customs (explicitly because Canada doesn’t require you to take shoes off, so a 30+ minute line just to go through a security line that does require you to take shoes off). No separate queue for Global Entry/NEXUS/PreCheck at either security or Customs.

Last edited by ashill; May 16, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Old May 16, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by ashill
No separate queue for Global Entry/NEXUS/PreCheck at either security or Customs.
In YVR? There's at least 10 GE kiosks that are along the far left (IIRC) wall with a totally separate queue. Even during the 4-5a crush of humanity, I've never waited more than a minute for a machine and maybe 2-3 mins for the CBP person.

As for security, the NEXUS line is usually open until 2p. At least that's been my experience. It was open at 5p the last time I was there in February, though it didn't save me much time.
Old May 16, 2018, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by bigbirdwithsilverwings
Unless you MUST have a car, you should take the Victoria Clipper from downtown Seattle, or Kenmore Air from Lake Union. Both are much, much, much faster than driving to either the Black Ball or WSF ferries.
Old May 16, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by tusphotog
In YVR? There's at least 10 GE kiosks that are along the far left (IIRC) wall with a totally separate queue. Even during the 4-5a crush of humanity, I've never waited more than a minute for a machine and maybe 2-3 mins for the CBP person.

As for security, the NEXUS line is usually open until 2p. At least that's been my experience. It was open at 5p the last time I was there in February, though it didn't save me much time.
There were a bunch of GE kiosks on the far left and a bunch of hoi polloi kiosks on the right. No wait (after the long security line) for GE kiosks; minimal if any wait for the hoi polloi kiosks. But after that, there was a 15+ minute wait to speak to the CBP person; Global Entry and hoi polloi used the same queue. I asked the line-minders multiple times; they said Global Entry and NEXUS go into the same queue as everyone else.

Coming from the connecting (airside) side, there was no NEXUS line at security 7 AM on a Wednesday in February when I was there. 30+ minute wait for security. So all told it was close to an hour to clear security and Immigration pre-clearance at YVR while connecting with Global Entry.

If my experience was abnormal, ^.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by ne52
Another scenic but faster option is the seaplane. Kenmore Air goes from Victoria Harbor to Lake Union near downtown. Customs is handled on arrival and takes minutes. They run a connecting shuttle to Sea-Tac for $20. Probably faster than the AS routing once you count in airport transit and the transfer mess.
^^ HIGHLY recommended!

best seat in the house!

Turbo Otter

Beaver

Last edited by jrl767; May 17, 2018 at 9:12 am Reason: add pic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.