Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SDC Fees Increase to $50, Free 60-Day Change Eliminated, and Award Changes (6/5/2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2018, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
from the first post.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...es/fee-changes

Same day confirmed changes will be effective for travel that takes place on or after June 5, 2018, not ticketed by June 5.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...charts/changes

Edit: There're changes with AS award chart too.

Effective for bookings on or after June 25, 2018, you’ll see some changes to award pricing on Alaska Airlines flights, including:
  • Reduced lowest award level on short-distance First Class flights
  • Reduced refundable award level pricing on First Class flights shorter than 1,400 miles within the contiguous US and Alaska, and on First Class flights shorter than 2,100 miles from the US to Mexico
  • A new lowest award level of just 10,000 miles on Main Cabin flights from California to select destinations in Mexico (flights shorter than 1,400 miles)
  • Hawaii awards starting as low as 15,000 miles one-way
Print Wikipost

SDC Fees Increase to $50, Free 60-Day Change Eliminated, and Award Changes (6/5/2018)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Well, in 2019 as currently taped out, I'm OK (will requalify for Gold). But SDC at $50 plus AS-style "Basic Economy"fare that won't let me into F, plus no exit row access in advance... once I lose Gold, WN probably becomes awfully attractive. ....
are you forced -- by either policy or psychology -- to always buy the lowest fare? if not, is "$15 or $25 more for AS is ok" a reasonable value proposition?
Old May 9, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
Ugh! Yeah, the sucktastic changes just keep coming. Makes me less and less likely to want to push for another year of MVPG status and maintain loyalty to AS. I'm just waiting for the inevitable move to revenue-based mileage earning. That will be the nail in the coffin to end my relationship with Alaska, and move to Delta for business travel, and cheapest fare for everything else.

This is incredibly disappointing.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Do you think this will affect the redemption rates for using AA miles on AS operated flights in regards to the increases/decreases on the new AS award chart.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jrl767
are you forced -- by either policy or psychology -- to always buy the lowest fare? if not, is "$15 or $25 more for AS is ok" a reasonable value proposition?
No, it is not a reasonable value proposition, not if it means “$15 for AS, $125 for change fees and $50 for SDC and I don’t get F anyway because I won’t get F on an SDC, because you didn’t fly 40k”. I might as well just buy WN and stick with flight times and get change fees for free.

I definitely will push more to WN because of AS deciding they need to follow DL/AA/UA.

To be honest. DL first class monetizing works OK if I want to fly F... AS isn’t as good at it.

pcoll and be_rettSEA like this.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: AS
Also, as a nod to California, fee for SDC to stay the same for flights within California. Thought I read another policy but, no longer on website.

Last edited by pcoll; May 9, 2018 at 7:18 pm
Old May 9, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Agreed. I was hoping they'd at least cut MVPs a break and provide a discount on the change fees. I said in the earlier thread that I'd hope they'd re-introduce a plans change pass alternatively. I guess I was hoping they'd be creative in a way that didn't seem like a single fee. However, it does seem like they are taking from the Big-3's playbook.

That said, even with these changes, I'm probably still willing to look for AS. I'm glad they kept the intra-CA same day change at $25. However, it becomes harder to ignore other carriers when they are substantially cheaper or have better timing and harder to ignore WN when I need some flexibility.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
To be honest. DL first class monetizing works OK if I want to fly F... AS isn’t as good at it.
Yep, and with no change fees to buy that F seat, even for non-status passengers. I hope to be able to fly AS enough to maintain MVPG; if not, I see limited value in MVP.
Old May 10, 2018, 7:03 am
Suspended

So does that mean if you book before June you can still make one change fee free 60-days before departure date?
Old May 10, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by ChuckMango
So does that mean if you book before June you can still make one change fee free 60-days before departure date?
Yes, i would like to know that also.
Old May 10, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: HH Silver
Yikes. My first time MVP, and looks like it might be last. I had been changing over all my flights from WN to AS to try and make MVP this year, but now I do not think I will bother. Maybe if I could get to Gold I would, but not a chance in H I will be able to do that. Having the option to change or cancel my booking is a huge plus for me, even 60 days out. But AS still has the best availability out of SEA so it is not like I am going to quit them altogether, just not going to make an effort to use them instead of someone else.
pcoll likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Yes, any ticket booked prior to 6/5 is still eligible for a change/cancel for free outside 60 days of departure. However once its reissued the first time post 6/5 you cannot make any further changes without a change fee. The lack of change fee is written into the fare rules which is why you get the change/cancel. The reissued ticket would be subject to the new rules.

Last edited by CDKing; May 10, 2018 at 8:33 am
Old May 10, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I am not a fan of these changes. Alaska needs to be careful how much more they cut. The way they've really been a leader in the industry is customer service (not so much product), so the more they cut from their strong area, the more their weaker attributes are obvious.
pcoll and be_rettSEA like this.
Old May 10, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
It is not clear to me whether the new $125 fee applies if I want to up fare so that I can apply a Gold Guest Upgrade. Could someone confirm yes or no? Thanks!
Old May 10, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by geclub1
It is not clear to me whether the new $125 fee applies if I want to up fare so that I can apply a Gold Guest Upgrade. Could someone confirm yes or no? Thanks!
Upfaring is not an official exception to the change fee, so unless you otherwise have a waiver (24 hours of purchase more than 24 hours before flight or Gold/75K status or refundable ticket) it would apply as it does now. In practice, an agent may or may not waive the fee.
Old May 10, 2018, 3:22 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Yes, you can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.