Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SDC Fees Increase to $50, Free 60-Day Change Eliminated, and Award Changes (6/5/2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2018, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
from the first post.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...es/fee-changes

Same day confirmed changes will be effective for travel that takes place on or after June 5, 2018, not ticketed by June 5.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...charts/changes

Edit: There're changes with AS award chart too.

Effective for bookings on or after June 25, 2018, you’ll see some changes to award pricing on Alaska Airlines flights, including:
  • Reduced lowest award level on short-distance First Class flights
  • Reduced refundable award level pricing on First Class flights shorter than 1,400 miles within the contiguous US and Alaska, and on First Class flights shorter than 2,100 miles from the US to Mexico
  • A new lowest award level of just 10,000 miles on Main Cabin flights from California to select destinations in Mexico (flights shorter than 1,400 miles)
  • Hawaii awards starting as low as 15,000 miles one-way
Print Wikipost

SDC Fees Increase to $50, Free 60-Day Change Eliminated, and Award Changes (6/5/2018)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Same day confirmed changes will be effective for travel that takes place on or after June 5, 2018, not ticketed by June 5.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...charts/changes

Edit: There're changes with AS award chart too.

Effective for bookings on or after June 25, 2018, you’ll see some changes to award pricing on Alaska Airlines flights, including:
  • Reduced lowest award level on short-distance First Class flights
  • Reduced refundable award level pricing on First Class flights shorter than 1,400 miles within the contiguous US and Alaska, and on First Class flights shorter than 2,100 miles from the US to Mexico
  • A new lowest award level of just 10,000 miles on Main Cabin flights from California to select destinations in Mexico (flights shorter than 1,400 miles)
  • Hawaii awards starting as low as 15,000 miles one-way

Last edited by The ITDA; May 9, 2018 at 2:03 pm
Old May 9, 2018, 10:59 am

Ugh - I'm MVP Gold (for this year), and this still discourages me now to book on alaska fares (often the same route is cheaper on jetblue or delta etc, specially when booked far-out). The reason is that my spouse is not mvp gold, and even if i'm getting the free change waiver, my spouse isn't.

The 60-day free changes were literally the best thing alaska airlines had going for itself.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
while I never benefited from the 60-day waiver when booking tix for my wife and/or son, I can see how this is a significant devaluation for many ... but $125 still beats $200 on DL, UA, AA

I didn't see any mention of the redeye waiver (0001-0359 departure can SDC to previous night 2200-2359) -- also curious if this ever worked the other way (2200-2359 departure SDC to next day 0001-0359)
Old May 9, 2018, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by The ITDA

$50 change fee does not apply to shuttle flights thankfully still $25, that's were I use it most for my family.

Thought the loss of the sixty day window hurts, esp when WN looms as an option.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Also, no free cancellation with 24 hours of purchase for tickets bought within 24 hours of departure.

The 24-hour free cancellation policy will now only apply to tickets booked for travel starting 24 hours or more from the time of purchase.
If travel begins within 24 hours of buying your non-refundable ticket, standard change/cancellation fees will apply immediately.
Calculon and be_rettSEA like this.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Ugh - I'm MVP Gold (for this year), and this still discourages me now to book on alaska fares (often the same route is cheaper on jetblue or delta etc, specially when booked far-out). The reason is that my spouse is not mvp gold, and even if i'm getting the free change waiver, my spouse isn't.
Same situation here (MVPG, wife is MVP), and I am not sure I will requalify as Gold for next year. Makes even aiming for MVP somewhat less attractive.

I assume the price guarantee is not affected by this?

The 60-day free changes were literally the best thing alaska airlines had going for itself.
Originally Posted by gobeavs8
Thought the loss of the sixty day window hurts, esp when WN looms as an option.
Yeah, fighting WN with new fees seems like an odd strategy. WN isn't an option for me personally because they don't serve my local airport, but all the other majors fly here.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:20 am

In Seattle/Portland/Anchorage, Alaska's competition isn't Southwest, it is Delta (and jetblue on transcon). A look on google flights on any route more than 2 months out and alaska hasn't released cheaper fare buckets compared to delta/jetblue. So why should an advance purchaser buy alaska tickets absent the free changes.

In California/Hawaii markets, there's literally no reason left to lock yourself in alaska fares due to Southwest free changes.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Does this apply to award redemptions on CX/JL?
Old May 9, 2018, 11:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
However there is a new positive to the $50 fee,

We're removing the 6-hour window requirement, so you can request a same-day change at any time during check-in.

So even general members don't have to wait until the last minute to make changes.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
In Seattle/Portland/Anchorage, Alaska's competition isn't Southwest
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattl...p_destinations
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portla...tional_Airport

4/10 top markets in SEA, 7/10 top markets in PDX. WN is #2 in PDX, #3 in SEA.

AS is heavily exposed to WN throughout the network, especially with a presence in the Bay Area and Greater LA, and WN adding Hawaii service. ANC is a thin reed to lie on.

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Does this apply to award redemptions on CX/JL?
You can't use AS SDC on other airlines. The award change fees will apply unless you are MVPG+.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
"Different Works!"
BearX220 and jinglish like this.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
This totally wrecks the book-each-segment-when-it-appears-on-the-schedule strategy for partner awards for MVPs and below. Good thing I'm already burning through all my AS miles this year.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
In Seattle/Portland/Anchorage, Alaska's competition isn't Southwest, it is Delta (and jetblue on transcon). A look on google flights on any route more than 2 months out and alaska hasn't released cheaper fare buckets compared to delta/jetblue. So why should an advance purchaser buy alaska tickets absent the free changes.
Assuming the low fare guarantee survived this and doesn’t impose a change fee for claiming a partial refund (which is, I think, how UA killed my Yapta usage several years ago), I would still consider buying far in advance for a somewhat higher fare than the competition if I was fairly certain I wouldn’t want to otherwise change the ticket. But no more speculative booking if I am not Gold or traveling with my MVP wife.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
it increases the relative value of being an elite on AS.
Seattlenerd and Mauibaby2008 like this.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pbd456
it increases the relative value of being an elite on AS.
Specifically Gold or 75K. MVPs like me don't get the fee waivers.
Buster likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.