Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SDC Fees Increase to $50, Free 60-Day Change Eliminated, and Award Changes (6/5/2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2018, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
from the first post.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...es/fee-changes

Same day confirmed changes will be effective for travel that takes place on or after June 5, 2018, not ticketed by June 5.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...charts/changes

Edit: There're changes with AS award chart too.

Effective for bookings on or after June 25, 2018, you’ll see some changes to award pricing on Alaska Airlines flights, including:
  • Reduced lowest award level on short-distance First Class flights
  • Reduced refundable award level pricing on First Class flights shorter than 1,400 miles within the contiguous US and Alaska, and on First Class flights shorter than 2,100 miles from the US to Mexico
  • A new lowest award level of just 10,000 miles on Main Cabin flights from California to select destinations in Mexico (flights shorter than 1,400 miles)
  • Hawaii awards starting as low as 15,000 miles one-way
Print Wikipost

SDC Fees Increase to $50, Free 60-Day Change Eliminated, and Award Changes (6/5/2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ryandk
How could it not be illegal? I redeemed my miles under certain conditions, and they say - oh - sorry - we decided to change those conditions now. Too bad. That's not acceptable.

Why would any consumer just accept this?

I wasn't notified that I was entitled to only one change. How would I know this, when it clearly says on https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...es/fee-changes that there's no fee for changes/cancellations for tickets issued prior to June 5?

At the bottom of the page, it has a link to their current change and cancellation fees for tickets purchased on or after June 5. My ticket wasn't purchased on or after June 5. It was changed, so that shouldn't apply to me. However, when you click on that, there's a link to view change and cancellation fees for tickets purchased or last exchanged prior to June 5. There's a lack of clarity on the website, and the agents don't tell you what you need to know. I don't look at the terms and conditions on the website for fun. Who has time for that?

When I was ticketed, there was an understanding that I would be able to make changes with no fees until 60 days before travel. I don't read the terms and conditions on their website for fun. There was no notification by email or from the agent when I made the first change. This is not right.
You are the one who asserts a “contract”. Your ignorance as to the terms and conditions you participate in is not a defense. It’s quite clear Alaska reserves the right to change program rules. They did so, and gave notice. You neglected to notice. This isn’t actually their problem.

You received a ticket before June 5 (that could be cancelled or changed with no fee, under the old rules) that you exchanged for one issued after June 5 (under different rules). You can dance around this all you want, but it’s not the same ticket. The number is actually different if you check the confirmation emails. Alaska does not issue the same ticket on a class of service change or date/time change; they issue a new ticket.

Good luck with your provincial attorney general.
jinglish likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

You received a ticket before June 5 (that could be cancelled or changed with no fee, under the old rules) that you exchanged for one issued after June 5 (under different rules). You can dance around this all you want, but it’s not the same ticket. The number is actually different if you check the confirmation emails. Alaska does not issue the same ticket on a class of service change or date/time change; they issue a new ticket.
Ask 100 normal people outside Flyertalk whether they consider what the OP did a cancellation of the old and booking of a new ticket. I’d bet the majority wouldn’t. It just happens to be the technical implementation of AS’ system (and likely that of most other airlines), but it bites the customer in the rear end here. I suspect there are other scenarios where a ticket has to be reissued when the customer didn’t actually desire to make a change. It would be nice if AS was applying a dose of common sense. Alas, given the changes we are discussing in this thread tell me that being customer friendly isn’t currently high on their agenda.

Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
No point in arguing here. File a DOT complaint if you wish or just get over it and move on.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Ask 100 normal people outside Flyertalk whether they consider what the OP did a cancellation of the old and booking of a new ticket. I’d bet the majority wouldn’t.
There is no "upgrade" involved as the OP asserted; AS does not have the ability to "upgrade" anyone on CX. They have the ability to cancel and book tickets as part of an itinerary.. If you book a PE award on CX and then "change"/"upgrade" it to a J award, it's a new award (and that is the free ticket change OP burned). If OP checks their mileage transaction record, they will see that miles for a PE award (OP's original award) were taken, and then refunded, and then miles for a new J award were taken.

Lots of people believe things that are flatly wrong, and misunderstand things all the time (I will happily point you at public opinion polling where people believe all kinds of dumb things that are factually incorrect). It doesn't mean that their incorrect belief is privileged to the point of slam dunk winning a court case, or that the "contract" an airline must honor should be based on their false beliefs and incorrect understandings. But if OP wants to pursue this in the court system or whatever, by all means, pursue away.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Alas, given the changes we are discussing in this thread tell me that being customer friendly isn’t currently high on their agenda.

Given that the policy was explicitly changed to not be customer-friendly (it was a takeaway from customers), that seems pretty obvious.
jinglish likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
This thread is heading down the path toward nasty, so let's all try to keep it civil everyone. That said, the OP did (whether realizing it or not) make the one free change under the old rules. Could Alaska have been more proactive about notifying folks? Possibly, though those of us here knew about the change well before, and knew to be careful.

There is one caveat here that I can think of that might help the OP get a reversal/waiver of the change fee from AS after the first re-ticket to a higher fare class, and that is that the carrier is CX, which is not eligible for booking/changes on Alaska's site. Had that change on the site been possible, new fare rules would have showed up prior to confirming the change, which the OP would have clicked through and agreed to before purchasing the new fare. Unless the agent read and confirmed these rules (unlikely, though they probably should be getting training to do this for folks, particularly when the reservation is directly impacted by the policy change - a simple "just an FYI that this reservation will now be under our new change policy and be subject to $125 change fees" would suffice), the OP (or any average flyer not reading Alaska's policy pages, blog, tweets, these forums, etc) truly may not have been aware. It may be worth shooting Alaska an email or tweet to see if they'd waive the fee because of this.

Are they under obligation to do so? No. Did they violate a "contract" with the OP for requiring change fees? Not technically, since this is a newly issued ticket, though I'd argue this change was one of the least customer-friendly policies they've implemented. Would it be a good faith effort for Alaska to show that they're still "north of expected" of the other US carriers? Definitely, and in my experience they generally can and do make some policy exceptions when there are some extenuating circumstances.
eponymous_coward and ryandk like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I did end up speaking to a supervisor and had the date of my flight changed with the fee waived.

The change still sucks. Yes, I do understand that I've been re-ticketed. No, I don't agree that the new ticket should be under the new rules. It's a technicality. My original points redemption was under the old rules, so the old rules should apply until 60 days before I fly.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Last edited by ryandk; Jul 17, 2018 at 5:21 pm
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
There is no "upgrade" involved as the OP asserted; AS does not have the ability to "upgrade" anyone on CX. They have the ability to cancel and book tickets as part of an itinerary..
You and I know that. The OP apparently called AS and said “hey, I would like to make a change to upgrade from PE to Business Class.”

Do we think that the AS agent explained “sorry, we don’t have the ability to upgrade anyone on CX, but we can cancel and book new tickets”? Maybe. Or maybe they just did the steps that effectively accomplish what the OP asked for. The OP and the agent would know. In any case it seems the OP got from the supervisor what they were looking for.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:42 pm

That's not 100% correct. I have repeatedly changed the AS legs of a few TPAC flights on CX since June 5 and never had to pay a change fee.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tth6133
That's not 100% correct. I have repeatedly changed the AS legs of a few TPAC flights on CX since June 5 and never had to pay a change fee.
Either you are gold or need to go buy a lotto ticket because its correct, once changed or reissued the new fee structure applies
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Either you are gold or need to go buy a lotto ticket because its correct, once changed or reissued the new fee structure applies
No, I'm not AS gold and the tickets I made changes to are for family members who are also not AS gold. It's not luck either. I made changes multiple times and spoke to a number of different agents. The last change I made to one of the tickets was on July 10.

Last edited by tth6133; Jul 17, 2018 at 8:05 pm
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tth6133
No, I'm not AS gold and the tickets I made changes to are for family members who are also not AS gold. It's not luck either. I made changes multiple times and spoke to a number of different agents. The last change I made to one of the tickets was on July 10.
What you are saying is contradictory to what Alaska stated was changing and to what happened to the other poster. Unless AS has done some silent 180, it's being waived incorrectly by the agents or they missed updating the system used to book CX awards.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
What you are saying is contradictory to what Alaska stated was changing and to what happened to the other poster. Unless AS has done some silent 180, it's being waived incorrectly by the agents or they missed updating the system used to book CX awards.
I don't believe that's the case. My initial change (post June 5) was on June 7, and I subsequently made a number of changes up until July 10. I only changed the AS segments (dates and routes) but not the CX segments.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Apologies as I must be missing something, but the terms say travelers on the same PNR inherit the status of a gold traveler, including SDC, but is this not the case? Terms below:

"The same day confirmed change fee is waived for MVP® Gold Mileage Plan™ members and those traveling in the same reservation."

Last edited by frudd38; Aug 16, 2018 at 7:37 pm
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by frudd38
Apologies as I must be missing something, but the terms say travelers on the same PNR inherit the status of a gold traveler, including SDC, but is this not the case? Terms below:

"The same day confirmed change fee is waived for MVP® Gold Mileage Plan™ members and those traveling in the same reservation."
This holds true. Companions if on the same PNR get free SDC.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by beckoa
This holds true. Companions if on the same PNR get free SDC.
Okay, thanks. Asking because I saw quite a few posts upthread saying otherwise, but maybe they were speculating pre 6/5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.