Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Possible to ask to open up award space on a short domestic leg to complete itinerary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible to ask to open up award space on a short domestic leg to complete itinerary?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking to book an award CGK-HKG-LAX-SFO in F with the first two legs on CX and the last on AS (no CX award space HKG-SFO on the day I want), but even though every F seat on the AS flight is for sale, there are no award seats available. I tried asking one AS agent if it was possible to put in a request to open a seat to complete the itinerary, but she said that no such process exists. Is this reality or is this a HUCA situation?
Old May 8, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by neelh
I'm looking to book an award CGK-HKG-LAX-SFO in F with the first two legs on CX and the last on AS (no CX award space HKG-SFO on the day I want), but even though every F seat on the AS flight is for sale, there are no award seats available. I tried asking one AS agent if it was possible to put in a request to open a seat to complete the itinerary, but she said that no such process exists. Is this reality or is this a HUCA situation?
That's how it is--there has to be saver award space if you want to tack an AS leg onto a partner award reservation. The only way AS would force space is if you'd already had your LAX-SFO segment booked but were needed to be on a different flight due to a schedule change.

I have a similar problem--I'm landing at LAX on New Year's Eve on a CX J award, and there's no saver space that evening or the next day LAX-SEA--so I know that if it doesn't open up at some point I'll just have to buy the segment myself. That's life with awards.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Is Y available? We're talking a 400 mile flight...

Alternately: buy cheap Y on AA, don't use the SFO-LAX segment on your award (maybe take a layover in LAX and get a free AS F flight LAX-Mexico/Hawaii), and instead of Alaska Lounge access in LAX you get Qantas F lounge or AA Flagship... oneworld access rules allows access in LAX based on INCOMING flight (but only for OW onward flights, not for AS ones).
milypan likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
'To complete itinerary.' Are you an American AAdvantage refugee? That's a term I associate with AA - which, did, indeed, have such a request (until a few years ago, IIRC).
Old May 9, 2018, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Not its not a possibility, they will not open space for you. Buy a separate ticket or if you absolutely need it on the same ticket, see if they will let you pay for a separate XYZ-SFO at the going points rate (which is a waste of points)
Old May 9, 2018, 7:08 am

Or book the flights with the last leg in economy, and watch for seats to open up. We did that for a flight in August, it took about 2 weeks before three seats in first opened up---in a cabin with only 12 seats! Once they open up you can call and get upgraded.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
you can also waitlist for F if the Y award is open. it probably won't clear, but you can do it.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
This. There’s a reason upgrades are easier on short flights — it’s because almost nobody wants to pay for the seats because F isn’t worth anything on a 337 mile stage length. That also means there’s a reasonable chance F space will open later.

If you have a F award that goes into Y because space isn’t available, do you automatically get Premium? I’m guessing not...
Old May 9, 2018, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Alternately: buy cheap Y on AA, don't use the SFO-LAX segment on your award (maybe take a layover in LAX and get a free AS F flight LAX-Mexico/Hawaii), and instead of Alaska Lounge access in LAX you get Qantas F lounge or AA Flagship... oneworld access rules allows access in LAX based on INCOMING flight (but only for OW onward flights, not for AS ones).
This is a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately the HKG-LAX leg lands late in the evening and this isn't an option this time around, but it's something I'll certainly keep in mind for the future.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
'To complete itinerary.' Are you an American AAdvantage refugee? That's a term I associate with AA - which, did, indeed, have such a request (until a few years ago, IIRC).
Hah yes—recovering former AA PLT still missing the pre-devaluation F awards to Asia 2

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
you can also waitlist for F if the Y award is open. it probably won't clear, but you can do it.
Thanks! This is something I hadn't known about before, and the agent I spoke to didn't either, but after putting me on a long hold, she came back and said she's just learned how to do it.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Thanks! This is something I hadn't known about before, and the agent I spoke to didn't either, but after putting me on a long hold, she came back and said she's just learned how to do it.
great, i am serious when i say it probably won't clear though, AS often releases upgrade (U) space before low level award (A) space. doesn't make much sense, but it is what it is. given the overall frequency on LAX-SFO, the chances are better than average but that is not saying much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.