FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Possible to ask to open up award space on a short domestic leg to complete itinerary?
Old May 8, 2018, 10:41 pm
jinglish

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by neelh
I'm looking to book an award CGK-HKG-LAX-SFO in F with the first two legs on CX and the last on AS (no CX award space HKG-SFO on the day I want), but even though every F seat on the AS flight is for sale, there are no award seats available. I tried asking one AS agent if it was possible to put in a request to open a seat to complete the itinerary, but she said that no such process exists. Is this reality or is this a HUCA situation?
That's how it is--there has to be saver award space if you want to tack an AS leg onto a partner award reservation. The only way AS would force space is if you'd already had your LAX-SFO segment booked but were needed to be on a different flight due to a schedule change.

I have a similar problem--I'm landing at LAX on New Year's Eve on a CX J award, and there's no saver space that evening or the next day LAX-SEA--so I know that if it doesn't open up at some point I'll just have to buy the segment myself. That's life with awards.