Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: AS
8/3 AS 442 SEA/LAX 10:40 Departure No water at seat. water handed out after boarding. NO PDB.
Chatted with FA during flight. asked what their understanding was of PDB policy. They knew the before and after 10 policy. When I inquired why implementation of policy is inconsistent, the reply was , "when flight departure is delayed we are told NO PDB." So, we did not do PDB on this flight.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by pcoll
8/3 AS 442 SEA/LAX 10:40 Departure No water at seat. water handed out after boarding. NO PDB.
Chatted with FA during flight. asked what their understanding was of PDB policy. They knew the before and after 10 policy. When I inquired why implementation of policy is inconsistent, the reply was , "when flight departure is delayed we are told NO PDB." So, we did not do PDB on this flight.
"We are told." By whom? Another passive tense deflection. Not speaking for this particular FA, but sometimes a crew member will just hear something from another crew member, or in his or her own head.
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:38 pm

FA's are told to use their best judgement so as not to delay boarding. That means you could well do the service, but chose not to. Warranted? Maybe.... maybe not....
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Service question and suggestion...

I flew in paid First from Seattle last night on a 2000-mile dinner flight -- just want to clarify if the following is the normal meal service standard:

No PDBs offered (none on the outbound to SEA, either) -- is this normal on Alaska?

20 minutes after takeoff, drink orders taken -- whole cabin
30 minutes after takeoff, drinks come out of galley, two at a time (one service pass per seat pair). This takes 15 minutes to complete, which is long but not unreasonable.
We are now 45 minutes into the flight. 10 more minutes pass, and the single FA serving F starts to bring the dinners out, again two at a time. About five minutes between each seat pair. I am served my dinner at 1:10 into the flight (second row).

As far as I can see, everyone by now had finished their drink, which had come out about a half hour earlier. So as she is placing my dinner tray on my table, I ask, may I please have water and white wine.... She interrupts, saying please let me finish, then I'll deal with your request. Surprising, but I thought she meant she would finish that row.

Instead, she continues to slowly serve all sixteen seats dinner before doing any drinks refills. So 30 more minutes elapse before I get a glass of wine. Not a huge deal, but of course my dinner was cold by then. Several of us were waiting for a drink/ refill/ water (I cannot eat airplane chicken without something to wash it down), so it was fairly obvious that her serving method was sub-optimal.

As a contrast, AA usually serves meals to one row at a time, followed to the same row with a drink service. Or sometimes they serve from the cart, with wine and water on the cart. Just seems like a better approach.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by fastflyer

I flew in paid First from Seattle last night on a 2000-mile dinner flight -- just want to clarify if the following is the normal meal service standard:

No PDBs offered (none on the outbound to SEA, either) -- is this normal on Alaska?

30 minutes after takeoff, drinks come out of galley, two at a time (one service pass per seat pair). This takes 15 minutes to complete, which is long but not unreasonable.
We are now 45 minutes into the flight. 10 more minutes pass, and the single FA serving F starts to bring the dinners out, again two at a time. About five minutes between each seat pair. I am served my dinner at 1:10 into the flight (second row).

As far as I can see, everyone by now had finished their drink, which had come out about a half hour earlier. So as she is placing my dinner tray on my table, I ask, may I please have water and white wine.... She interrupts, saying please let me finish, then I'll deal with your request. Surprising, but I thought she meant she would finish that row.

Instead, she continues to slowly serve all sixteen seats dinner before doing any drinks refills. So 30 more minutes elapse before I get a glass of wine. Not a huge deal, but of course my dinner was cold by then. Several of us were waiting for a drink/ refill/ water (I cannot eat airplane chicken without something to wash it down), so it was fairly obvious that her serving method was sub-optimal.

As a contrast, AA usually serves meals to one row at a time, followed to the same row with a drink service. Or sometimes they serve from the cart, with wine and water on the cart. Just seems like a better approach.
Yeah, It's a bit of a mess. One FA to serve 16 passengers. This involves setting up 16 trays, organizing them because everything has shifted on them, taking off all the lids from each individual component (which is easier now with plastic lids as before everything was covered in generous amounts of saran wrap) serving the salad and roll, then plating each entree separately in the galley, adding garnishes and condiments where necessary and serving - all with a very small area of space and, if on the Airbus, one teeny tiny oven for all 16 meals, plates, rolls and nuts to be heated in. Alaska insists on plating entrees for some reason, whereas most other airlines have entrees that are heated in the ceramic dish they are served in, which saves quite a bit of time during the service. It often makes for a nice presentation when plated individually, but it takes so much more time. I think it would be nice if someone would recognize that passengers just want their food and they don't care so much about everything being individually plated and served. One FA for 16 passengers is difficult but it could be made easier.

To answer your questions - there is supposed to be a PDB service so that wasn't done as required. As for the rest, it sounds like the FA was doing the best s/he could, given the circumstances - sorry that it wasn't optimal.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:14 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

her serving method was sub-optimal.
In such cases, and when it's 16F, I optimize my ordering method. I ask for two minis or a "full" glass of wine.

Last edited by dayone; Aug 6, 2019 at 12:13 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Yeah, It's a bit of a mess. One FA to serve 16 passengers. ... and, if on the Airbus, one teeny tiny oven for all 16 meals, plates, rolls and nuts to be heated in. ...
uh, VX configuration for the A319/320/321 was 8F; A320/321 are being reconfigured to 12F (yeah it’s a technicality, but your point that it’s far from ideal is **completely** valid)
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Alaska insists on plating entrees for some reason, whereas most other airlines have entrees that are heated in the ceramic dish they are served in, which saves quite a bit of time during the service. It often makes for a nice presentation when plated individually, but it takes so much more time. I think it would be nice if someone would recognize that passengers just want their food and they don't care so much about everything being individually plated and served.
I've often noticed that the presentation of the food looks much better on AS than other airlines. Things look neater and there is less splatter on the sides of the dish. I much prefer it this way and enjoy the nicer presentation, I just never thought about / realized the extra work that goes into it.
sltlyamusd likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I've often noticed that the presentation of the food looks much better on AS than other airlines. Things look neater and there is less splatter on the sides of the dish. I much prefer it this way and enjoy the nicer presentation, I just never thought about / realized the extra work that goes into it.
I'm glad to hear that it's appreciated. I think it does look nicer than a casserole dish with everything in it, warmed together. Oftentimes, when pre-plated, everything seems to run into each other and looks like a microwave meal from the grocery store, IMO. It takes substantially more time to plate each meal, so the whole service tends to drag on a little more.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767

uh, VX configuration for the A319/320/321 was 8F; A320/321 are being reconfigured to 12F (yeah it’s a technicality, but your point that it’s far from ideal is **completely** valid)
The 321 is being retrofitted with 16 First Class seats - and the same oven that was once used for a service for 8 people. The 319/320's are, as you mentioned, being retrofitted with 12 seats - still the same oven that was used for 8 people.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The 321 is being retrofitted with 16 First Class seats - and the same oven that was once used for a service for 8 people. The 319/320's are, as you mentioned, being retrofitted with 12 seats - still the same oven that was used for 8 people.
I hope you mean "still the same oven that was used to heat meals for 8 people."
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:10 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note: A reminder that we're talking about PDBs, not reconfigurations or ovens. Thanks.

dayone, AS Moderator
Flying for Fun likes this.

Last edited by dayone; Aug 6, 2019 at 10:48 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:04 pm

Been there many times my friend. Why AS doesn't bring up a 2nd flight attendant to assist with the initial service is beyond me. It's why I don't eat on AS when I fly them in first - I either make sure to eat at airport or bring something on. Otherwise I'm setting aside at least an hour where I can get work done.
SEA777GUY likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
When I used to fly United they would always have a second flight attendant come up to help in F. At least for 20-30 minutes.
SEA777GUY likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
Here is how I would do service:

Boarding-PDB of choice (1st drink service/order taken)
20 minutes after takeoff, drink orders/nuts service-- whole cabin
30 minutes after takeoff, dinner service with 2nd FA serving.
45 minutes after takeoff, 2nd drink service with 2nd FA

After 2nd drink service, 2nd FA returns to the back and econ service begins.
jjmadison and ffman999 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.