Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska to "refresh" main cabin food menu

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
I would check arriving flights while in the lounge and see where plane arriving at our gate was coming in from. Arriving LAX. If it came from Mex destination, I would try for leftover cheeseburger.
At start of service, I would ask quietly, “are there any more cheeseburgers left ?” Most of the time I could score one or two(hubby) while FA would appogize that they have no more chips to go with them and therefore is was gratis. (Thanks Jan and Jan ��)
Leftover cheeseburger was better than what was offered onboard, even in F.
As required by law, all food items from inbound international flights must be taken to the kitchen and either incinerated or handled appropriately. Not sure how you ended up with a cheeseburger but this trick wouldn’t work about 999.99% of the time.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:25 pm

After the F "refresh" that resulted in smaller portions, I'm skeptical, and expect that this is an opportunity to "enhance" the food to be smaller and less interesting.
PV_Premier likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Here's an update of some of the changes we can expect:

https://www.sfgate.com/chris-mcginni...photo-15440670
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:53 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ASA_1

"Alaska's very popular fruit and cheese plate won't change much" That's good, but man, they sure gave the photographer one sad looking F&C plate.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by missamo80
"Alaska's very popular fruit and cheese plate won't change much" That's good, but man, they sure gave the photographer one sad looking F&C plate.
Ya, in the article the writer mentioned that sample sizes were provided. I think they were more focused on taste than presentation for this event.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I guess I need to order the fruit and cheese plate sometime...I've never understood what all the fuss was about.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

"All meals sold in economy class on Alaska Airlines will be cold, which is the same as on Virgin America since its Airbus fleet does not have ovens in economy class galleys."

Buh-bye cheeseburger...
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred

- AS sure seems to love hummus right now. Red beet hummus! Can't wait!

- AS can save on specialized First meals by just plating the F&C or other economy offerings including the coach protein plate. Looks about the same portion size.

- "Fig roasted bee[f] shoulder- a traditional meal with a fruity twist that helps make it feel more "west coast"

Ugh. Here we go with this faux foofoo lipstick on a pig spin.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
"All meals sold in economy class on Alaska Airlines will be cold, which is the same as on Virgin America since its Airbus fleet does not have ovens in economy class galleys."

Buh-bye cheeseburger...
​​​​​​​Buster nailed it above. A downgrade spun as an enhancement. No more hot meals in economy.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by rustykettel

- AS sure seems to love hummus right now. Red beet hummus! Can't wait!

Just you wait: kale and portobello mushroom polenta cakes with fig hummus dip. It's like the ultimate AS superfood F dish EVERYONE can find something to hate about.
rustykettel and mtnsider like this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Buh-bye cheeseburger...
Ugh, that was one thing that really set AS apart from other domestic airlines was consistently offering hot meals in economy on flights of 3 hours or more. I guess installing aft galley ovens on the A320s just isn’t worth it. Although if the A320s are relegated to short flights, then maybe AS could still offer hot food on the transcontinental 737 flights. Every other blah airline just has cold overpriced sandwiches and salads. Just seems like they have totally given up competing on product.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Horrible changes. Everything that makes Alaska stand out is being removed. Not good.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:21 am

With the exception of the breakfast items none of Alaska's BoB meals were good and everything was way too greasy and unsurprisingly turned the cabin into a giant fart machine. The Bahn Mi was disgusting, the turkey sandwich was disgusting, the KFC famous bowls Tom Douglas bowls were gross.

Keep the fruit + cheese platter, that was solid and a decent value and will appease the wonder bread crowd. Add in some of the VX protein plates, have a sandwich with a flavor profile beyond 'mayo', add in a salad with actual vegetables.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Every other blah airline just has cold overpriced sandwiches and salads. Just seems like they have totally given up competing on product.
UA sells overpriced hot food in E on transcons. I'm not sure what the flight duration threshold is, since I seem to only fly either up and down the west coast or transcon.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
In contrast to much of the moaning and groaning going on here, I actually think several of the options look pretty good. The sandwiches, in particular... IF they're adequately portioned for a four-hour midcon.
HOWEVER... the loss of ANY hot meals in Y is very disappointing to me.
I actually thought that some of the Douglas bowls were quite tasty.
And my other concern stems from my recent experience in new F... where I was offered the same menu of all my flights. There needs to be some variety!
sltlyamusd likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:06 pm

The chicken bulgolgi with rice looks good!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.