Wiki Posts
Search

LWS and PUW changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100k
LWS and PUW changes

As a former Palouse resident, I noticed some interesting changes to the local QX service announced the other day.

LWS is losing all QX service beginning 25-Aug including the LWS-BOI and the LWS-SEA service. QX has served this airport with varying routes including GEG, PUW, SEA, and BOI in the past.

The announcement implies that PUW may be getting mainline service starting in August - it mentions that "Alaska is starting service". If so, it will be interesting to see regular 737 traffic at this airport. AS currently operates charters for WSU with 737-series aircraft and QX operates 4-6 flights daily to SEA.

It will be a disappointment to lose the BOI flight as I know a decent number of University employees used it. Hopefully it will be replaced with a PUW-BOI.

krem.com | Lewiston airport loses Horizon Air
Flights no longer on Horizon | Northwest | lmtribune.com
Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
If they are withdrawing LWS because of 60% load factors you will not be getting 737 service by AS. Typically QX wants 85% load factor to continue service. As far as QX in PUW, I read it that they will probably get more QX service.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Bonvoy Titanium, NEXUS
That is tough in the winter... over the years there were several times the plane I was on couldn't land at PUW but could make LWS and I was able to get to Pullman via highway. Runway improvements at PUW should help the weather situation though. 737 service will certainly be a big deal there in PUW if it comes to pass.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
If they are withdrawing LWS because of 60% load factors you will not be getting 737 service by AS. Typically QX wants 85% load factor to continue service. As far as QX in PUW, I read it that they will probably get more QX service.
Although I too feel that mainline service is far fetched, the article says "Alaska will begin Seattle-Pullman service in August" and "Starting on Sunday, August 26, Alaska Airlines will test daily flights between Pullman and Seattle to help offset the changes."
Considering QX already serves this airport, I'm wasn't sure what else beginning service could mean.

Personally, I would have preferred more q400 frequencies instead of jet service when I flew out of there. The long layovers at SEA started to wear on me.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Crazy!

Having had 1 stop flights via LWS for years, and connecting to both QX and DL in LWS ex-PUW... what a change.

AS can definately use a 737 when it comes time for school breaks. Those poor Q400's couldn't take all pax plus baggage students would pack.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
No 737’s on the schedule yet for PUW. I’m sure the extra lift would be appreciated for school breaks and football weekends.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
As someone considering going to work for a company in the in PUW/LWS area, I hate to see LWS pulled personally, even if the tradeoff is more PUW lift. LWS often has cheaper fares, and different/better connection options, than PUW.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
As someone considering going to work for a company in the in PUW/LWS area, I hate to see LWS pulled personally, even if the tradeoff is more PUW lift. LWS often has cheaper fares, and different/better connection options, than PUW.
That hasn't been the case the past few years for me. BOI added a few options to Cali, but I never took it. It's definitely a nice option to have, but the schedule has been parallel with PUW to SEA flights. The only time I've used LWS is by Delta to the east coast. Free parking is nice.

Articles have said the LWS Q-400 will be moved to Pullman for a 4th flight, but there's normally 4 flights except during the summer. So, ? No way regularly schedule mainline will be used.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
LWS often has cheaper fares
And now you understand why AS is dumping it...
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
And now you understand why AS is dumping it...
more like, AS has the PUW market over the barrel while they have to compete with DL at LWS. now with no competition at LWS, fares will most likely go up in both markets, with limited to no discernable schedule improvement, representing a net negative benefit to consumers.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
more like, AS has the PUW market over the barrel
DL could enter PUW any time they wanted to. (I sort of doubt it because SLC is a very natural DL hub out of that region to serve compared to SEA.)

fares will most likely go up in both markets
Yes, like I said, that would be why. Airlines like profits as opposed to unprofitably benefiting consumers. I'd benefit from six figure checks sent to me from ALK HQ. Doesn't mean there's a reason for them to do it.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
more like, AS has the PUW market over the barrel while they have to compete with DL at LWS. now with no competition at LWS, fares will most likely go up in both markets, with limited to no discernable schedule improvement, representing a net negative benefit to consumers.
Airlines/airports that are an easy 33 miles/45 minutes away compete for traffic. There will be plenty of fare arbitrage. From where shall I fly for my next trip?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Yes, like I said, that would be why. Airlines like profits as opposed to unprofitably benefiting consumers. I'd benefit from six figure checks sent to me from ALK HQ. Doesn't mean there's a reason for them to do it.
I'm not an idiot and I understand the finances, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
A regularly scheduled 737 service is unlikely. More likely is the added frequencies on q400 or crj or deployment of E175 at best. A 737 is simply too large of an aircraft to serve the route.

Jiburi
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jiburi
A regularly scheduled 737 service is unlikely. More likely is the added frequencies on q400 or crj or deployment of E175 at best. A 737 is simply too large of an aircraft to serve the route.

Jiburi
Can't see the E75 on this route as the Q400 works well on this route [aside from luggage issues on full aircraft]. The 737 could work it seems during school breaks, and for football weekends. But not sure if AS really has the elasticity in its fleet for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.