Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska No Longer Offers Snack Box in Premium Class (March 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:45 am
Original Poster

I flew in premium on 3/19/18 on a transcon (DCA-SEA), and when meal service came through I was surprised when I was offered the choice of a “Fig Bar” or “trail mix”. When I inquired about the snack box, the FA informed me they stopped offering them on 3/16/18. I messaged AS on facebook and they said “our in-flight research indicated some items were more popular than others. So the snack boxes were removed.”

Personally, I’m more of a fruit and cheese platter person, or sometimes the hot option. I definitely never chose premium class class because of the snack box, and they are still offering a snack that’s “better” than main cabin, so not a total loss. For some reason, I’m still slightly disappointed. I hope they don’t pull the free alcohol perk!

I think offering something sweet toward the end of the flight in premium would be nice. A chocolate truffle or something simple. The gold fish and the chocolate were the best part of the snack box anyways!

cheers!

Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:50 am

I didn't like the contents of the snack box very much, but what I would like is for them to offer a choice of snacks where you can take more than one, rather than just an either or. Basically, the way Southwest does it.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Seriously AS? Yes the snack box wasn't much but it was something. AS is charging something like $80+ for a transcon premium upgrade, give me a snack that cost more than $1.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Why not a snack basket like Delta? Have some options.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by channa
Why not a snack basket like Delta? Have some options.
Or JetBlue or Virgin America PM, which had a lot of nice offerings from Dean and Deluca ?

It appears to me, AS management is doing everything it can to alienate former VX passengers, whom they need to retain to make the merger work.
Skyjumper and jjmadison like this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
The snack box was a joke. The content was minimal and the size of the offering was almost insulting.

DL doesn't do everything right, but C+ is one thing they do reasonably well. AS basically needs to look at that as a starting point.
jinglish and rustykettel like this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
The snack box was a joke. The content was minimal and the size of the offering was almost insulting.
Agreed, one of those tapas boxes would have been appropriate for a "premium" product for flights > 2 hrs.

Then again, I just flew an intra-European flight on BA in economy and they were trying to sell me a cup of water in coach.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier

DL doesn't do everything right, but C+ is one thing they do reasonably well. AS basically needs to look at that as a starting point.

i agree. For me it was more the principle of it. The snack box itself was nothing great. Seems like in premium you should get a fruit and cheese platter standard, or perhaps discounted.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by ASA_1
I flew in premium on 3/19/18 on a transcon (DCA-SEA), and when meal service came through I was surprised when I was offered the choice of a “Fig Bar” or “trail mix”.
Just had my first experience on this morning's EWR-SEA, the only segment of four flights that my upgrade didn't clear on.

Tom in the C terminal lounge at SEA
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
At least they kept the free alcohol, gf and I didn't think to get two OJ's if you make a mimosa.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I was in premium class Sunday OGG-ANC and they did come around offering a choice of snacks, like the Delta snack basket approach. The options weren't great, though -- granola bars, trail mix, fruit snacks, cheez-its (and maybe one more thing I don't recall).

We also started our journey with a 2.5 hour mechanical delay while sitting on the tarmac, so I'm not completely sure if this is a new policy for premium class or was just a nice special gesture for all the extra-hungry kids on the plane due to the delay.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:15 pm

The worst thing about those boxes was how TIGHTLY they were plastic wrapped. I was never able to open one and had to always ask my SO with longer nails to help open it.

If you can't open the box, no one will eat it.
jakeller and AmhLe like this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:21 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
The worst thing about those boxes was how TIGHTLY they were plastic wrapped. I was never able to open one and had to always ask my SO with longer nails to help open it.

If you can't open the box, no one will eat it.
I'll miss the little feat of strength. I always felt like I unlocked an achievement.

Neil
jakeller and UAPremierExec like this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
I didn't like the contents of the snack box very much,

The almonds were delicious.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Tankerman

The almonds were delicious.
The brand choice of fig bar was good, but they only had fig instead of the blueberry or raspberry flavors.
lalala likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.