Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Quick Thinking to Remedy Lack of Catering

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quick Thinking to Remedy Lack of Catering

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, Hyatt Globalist
Talking Quick Thinking to Remedy Lack of Catering

AS 165 from BUR to SEA this morning (Monday, March 12) in First Class:

A muffin (your choice of Blueberry, Honey Bran, or Corn), and IN ADDITION to all that, you get a choice of:

Fruit Bowl
OR
Yogurt Parfait

And the nice passengers in 1A and 1B ONLY, were even offered another special menu item: a leftover Fruit and Cheese platter from last night's flight.

So...clearly, everyone reading this post has already realized that there is something very amiss with these "new" food options...they are not part of AS' improved in-flight fare, but rather, quick thinking on the station manager's part when a flight doesn't get catered.

What would AS have done without that little food kiosk a few feet away from the gate...where I saw the exact same food options before I boarded the flight?! LOL!!!

I guess these things happen sometimes. It was a pretty nice flight nonetheless...but, I thought I'd share this experience with you all!!!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Kudos AS, way to get it done!!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by ASeverywhere
AS 165 from BUR to SEA this morning (Monday, March 12) in First Class:

A muffin (your choice of Blueberry, Honey Bran, or Corn), and IN ADDITION to all that, you get a choice of:

Fruit Bowl
OR
Yogurt Parfait

And the nice passengers in 1A and 1B ONLY, were even offered another special menu item: a leftover Fruit and Cheese platter from last night's flight.

So...clearly, everyone reading this post has already realized that there is something very amiss with these "new" food options...they are not part of AS' improved in-flight fare, but rather, quick thinking on the station manager's part when a flight doesn't get catered.

What would AS have done without that little food kiosk a few feet away from the gate...where I saw the exact same food options before I boarded the flight?! LOL!!!

I guess these things happen sometimes. It was a pretty nice flight nonetheless...but, I thought I'd share this experience with you all!!!
My last BUR-SEA flight also wasn't catered. They sent an FA over to grab bagels for everyone from the coffee shop...

I wonder if there's a problem with BUR catering.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:46 pm

Flew PDX-LAS-PDX this weekend in F; both flights were the late evening flights (AS 624 and AS 621).

Southbound PDX-LAS was...a cookie.

Northbound LAS-PDX was the chicken with barley, salad, bread, and lemon square.

The consistent inconsistency in F catering on AS is annoying (also the quality of catering ex-PDX, but that’s a different discussion). I’ve done the late evening JNU-ANC flight, which is not only a shorter flight but also leaves at almost the exact same time as AS 624, and gotten a dinner service...and AS doesn’t even do any catering in JNU, nor do they have an ounce of competition on the route.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Buster
My last BUR-SEA flight also wasn't catered. They sent an FA over to grab bagels for everyone from the coffee shop...

Sounds like there's a problem with SEA RT catering.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Sounds like there's a problem with SEA RT catering.
fixed it for you.

no airline i have ever seen has as many problems with catering as AS. it's always something it seems like.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
fixed it for you.

no airline i have ever seen has as many problems with catering as AS. it's always something it seems like.
You clearly didn't experience that joy that was AA catering out of LAX the second half of last year.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by quemalo
You clearly didn't experience that joy that was AA catering out of LAX the second half of last year.
Nope, I don't really fly AA, so my sample may be biased...but of the airlines I do regularly fly, AS has the most catering errors bar none above any other.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Chugach
Flew PDX-LAS-PDX this weekend in F; both flights were the late evening flights (AS 624 and AS 621).

Southbound PDX-LAS was...a cookie.

Northbound LAS-PDX was the chicken with barley, salad, bread, and lemon square.

The consistent inconsistency in F catering on AS is annoying (also the quality of catering ex-PDX, but that’s a different discussion). I’ve done the late evening JNU-ANC flight, which is not only a shorter flight but also leaves at almost the exact same time as AS 624, and gotten a dinner service...and AS doesn’t even do any catering in JNU, nor do they have an ounce of competition on the route.
The supposed discrepancy on the flights between LAS and PDX is easy. AS is very consistent: 8pm is the cutoff for meal service, which applies to most if not all West Coast flights.. Your LAS-PDX left BEFORE 8pm and has a snack service. PDX-LAX left after 8pm and has a cookie (now we can discuss whether they should have something more substantial than a cookie, if you would like). By the way, you can look at the flight schedules function on the website and see whether a meal is scheduled.

As for ANC-JNU, intra-Alaska flights usually cost more and get better service.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by formeraa
The supposed discrepancy on the flights between LAS and PDX is easy. AS is very consistent: 8pm is the cutoff for meal service, which applies to most if not all West Coast flights.. Your LAS-PDX left BEFORE 8pm and has a snack service. PDX-LAX left after 8pm and has a cookie (now we can discuss whether they should have something more substantial than a cookie, if you would like). By the way, you can look at the flight schedules function on the website and see whether a meal is scheduled.

As for ANC-JNU, intra-Alaska flights usually cost more and get better service.
I had considered the 8:00 PM cutoff, which does make some sense. What doesn’t make sense is offering Y a plethora of food options on that same flight while offering F...a cookie.

As for JNU-ANC, flights do cost more intra-Alaska. But inflight service has absolutely nothing to do with that equation.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Well the legislature is in session in JNU... AS might as well look good to those in F
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quemalo
Or notice the 44 page thread on UA's extended problems with F catering out of DEN.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Chugach

I had considered the 8:00 PM cutoff, which does make some sense. What doesn’t make sense is offering Y a plethora of food options on that same flight while offering F...a cookie.
Can you ask for food from Y on AS? I have done this on American when I was craving caramel corn. There's no charge (while Y passengers have to pay $6 or so for the same bag of popcorn).
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Buster

Flew BUR-PDX yesterday evening. FA mentioned there were only five F&C plates on board - gone by row 8. Oh, and what a tired, ratty interior on the 737-700.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by ehallison
Can you ask for food from Y on AS? I have done this on American when I was craving caramel corn. There's no charge (while Y passengers have to pay $6 or so for the same bag of popcorn).
Officially no, except for the preorder of the Fruit & Cheese plate on flights that have implemented First Class preordering. In practice, the FA may provide Y food on a complimentary basis from time to time. My approach is to be prepared to pay for it and if not charged, so much the better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.