Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

First Class Cash versus Coach via Miles (Avios)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Cash versus Coach via Miles (Avios)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by kf2k3

Plus, from what I am reading, Alaska Air First Class seems better than other domestic airlines.
Not in my opinion. Domestic First on AS is very similar to other airline's domestic F.

See this thread and read the last 30-40 posts on the miserable food offerings in F. What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2018)

Last edited by philemer; Mar 11, 2018 at 10:01 pm
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by kf2k3
Plus, from what I am reading, Alaska Air First Class seems better than other domestic airlines.
No it is not.

In my experience having flown domestic F on B6, AA, DL, VX and even AC F in Canada, AS is definitely a laggard.

The last AS F meal was a greasy chicken offering, which would not pass muster on AF economy.

AS gives a lot of domestic upgrades to F, which for the bigger seat is OK. The rest of the experience is sub par. Which means to me, if you are willing to give it away so easily, then it's not really something worth paying for. In oppostion to pre merger VX, which was only via paid upgrade or B6 Mint, which is a game changer in setting expectations for what a domestic F can provide.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by A1pax
Thanks, James. Will look at the flight path and certainly wave as we fly pass BC . Hope to see some glaciers from ANC. Sorry, I meant seats 2A & 2C (not 2B). We prefer row 2 also (not row 1 - too close to the galley).
The galley doesn't really bother me. I just like to stretch out my legs under the seat in front of me. BC is a big Province so it shouldn't be too hard to wave along the way. 😁 It runs from the 49th Parallel to the 60th Parallel which is the border with the Yukon Territory. In Europe that would be from Paris to Oslo. As the 3rd largest Province it is about 2.5x the size of Calafornia and has a population of ~4.6 million people. That works out to a population density of 12.42 people per sq/m.

James
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:07 am
Original Poster

An update--I enjoyed the First Class experience on Alaska. They made sure we were not hungry nor sober during the flight. Leaps and bounds over AA First. Now back to whether paying for first and keeping my Avios was beneficial, and the answer is yes!

1) 2 First Class for $500
2) Got to use my saved Avios to book an AA First award to Vegas
3) The added Alaska miles for my first ticket bumped me to enough pts to book a trip to Hawaii exclusively with points.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:55 pm

Likewise, we enjoyed our AS first class from Anchorage to Seattle at the end of June. We paid cash as we did not want to spend BA avios for F on this flight. Went to AS lounge at Anchorage, but it is also a Priority Pass (which we used to enter with our PP card the day before flying to Barrow on the Arctic Circle for the day in Y - no food in Y, only a plastic cup of water, we brought along our own snack). The lounge was average, nothing exceptional. The views were great in part. Hubby thought his vegetarian meal was good, I did not like my chicken meal as much. Downloaded the gogoentertainment app (before the flight) so I could watch the flight path (not very detailed) and a movie. While wifi on AS cost money (which I did not take up), they offered free text which I tried out by sending a few imessages to family and it worked as they received and replied.
FWIW, I credited my F flight from ANC to SEA to my AS account (no status) and got 2,534 miles, whereas hubby credited his to his BA account (no status) and got 2,172 avios and no tier point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.