Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

First Class Cash versus Coach via Miles (Avios)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2018, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Which would you prefer:
1. 2 Alaska Air Coach tickets from Anchorage to Seattle for 20,000 Avios points
2. 2 Alaska Air First Class from Anchorage to Seattle for $500. This also includes about 3,500 Alaska Miles since I am a AK visa card holder

Flight is a little over 3 hours. I've never flown first class before, and the difference cash price between coach and first is only $100. Option 2 seems like a good deal as usually first class is in the $400 to $500 range per person

I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
That does seem cheap for 2 pax. I would take option 2 personally but am always inclined to First if it is an option.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NWAlaskaFlyer
That does seem cheap for 2 pax. I would take option 2 personally but am always inclined to First if it is an option.

For a mere $100.00 difference definitely option 2. Not only will you get a 75% Class of Service bonus but also 2 free checked bags and lounge access too. Too good to not pay for F class imho.

James.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: HH Silver
I would do option #2 and give away my F tickets so I could have a window seat in coach, lol. I do not like AS F seats, but for the extra miles and lounge access, I would do it. You probably already get 1 checked bag with your card, but if you have 2, that is a bonus.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by tatterdema
give away my F tickets so I could have a window seat in coach, lol..
There are windows in F you do know

Seems like quite a reasonable F seat deal!
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by beckoa
There are windows in F you do know
I know, I know. I just do not like the seats. I am happy as a clam in any window seat as long as it has a window, and not one of the few that doesn't. The F window seats are too far away from the window/wall. I cannot get comfortable leaning against it. I also like to sleep with my head on the tray table of the seat in front of me. The only time I have an issue in coach, it is with the passengers around me, not the seats.
clarrkkent likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:33 pm

I would use the points, any time where they would save me a good amount of money.

You never know when Avios will change the rules so that those points will become worthless. Your money will not be worthless and can buy you many meals.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

thanks everyone for your replies.

I've decided to go First Class. You only live once! But I have a choice between the 737-800 with 12 seats and more legroom versus the 737-900 with 16 seats. The legroom isn't the deciding factor. Just looking for the better overall experience.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by kf2k3
thanks everyone for your replies.

I've decided to go First Class. You only live once! But I have a choice between the 737-800 with 12 seats and more legroom versus the 737-900 with 16 seats. The legroom isn't the deciding factor. Just looking for the better overall experience.
73H I'd do. A smaller cabin yields a better FA to pax ratio ^.

Expect schedule and aircraft changes however, so this shouldn't be the only determining factor.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I booked the 73H flight. It will be nice to have a First Class flight in the middle of my vacation as there are no non-stops from Dallas to Anchorage, and I will be taking 5 flights around the Pacific Northwest and CA. Sometimes you have to do a cost analysis on points versus cash, and I could not pass this low fare up!

Plus, from what I am reading, Alaska Air First Class seems better than other domestic airlines.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by kf2k3
We faced the same dilemma, and decided to pay cash to fly F instead of using avios in Y.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:45 am

Book seats on the left side (east) of the plane going down to Seattle. The views of glaciers etc can be fantastic.

CS
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by rowsign
Book seats on the left side (east) of the plane going down to Seattle. The views of glaciers etc can be fantastic.

CS
thanks for this tip CS. I think we have selected seats on LHS from ANC to SEA - 2A & 2B. But will check
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by A1pax

thanks for this tip CS. I think we have selected seats on LHS from ANC to SEA - 2A & 2B. But will check
Excellent choice, I prefer row 2 (don't like the bulkhead) and choose either 2A & 2C or 2D &2F depending on the direction of travel and time of flight. Wave as you pass over British Columbia.

James
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Excellent choice, I prefer row 2 (don't like the bulkhead) and choose either 2A & 2C or 2D &2F depending on the direction of travel and time of flight. Wave as you pass over British Columbia.

James
Thanks, James. Will look at the flight path and certainly wave as we fly pass BC . Hope to see some glaciers from ANC. Sorry, I meant seats 2A & 2C (not 2B). We prefer row 2 also (not row 1 - too close to the galley).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.