Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

50% Mystery Bonus [Likely for Full Y Fare]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

I just got back from a holiday trip on 1/5/18 and saw a 50% bonus miles posted on my flight home from Hawaii. I'm not MVP but do have an Alaska credit card. The odd thing is that my flight to Hawaii in December didn't get the bonus miles. Any thoughts as to why I might have gotten the bonus and only 1 way? Is there a January 2018 promotion that I signed up for and forgot? I thought about calling but then maybe I should just let it be ...
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by rccsd
I just got back from a holiday trip on 1/5/18 and saw a 50% bonus miles posted on my flight home from Hawaii. I'm not MVP but do have an Alaska credit card. The odd thing is that my flight to Hawaii in December didn't get the bonus miles. Any thoughts as to why I might have gotten the bonus and only 1 way? Is there a January 2018 promotion that I signed up for and forgot? I thought about calling but then maybe I should just let it be ...
Was the return flight particularly expensive? Y and S fares get a 50% bonus.
missamo80 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Both ways were Y class but I can't remember the cost of each separate flight. In total, it was a little over $1,000. Could only one of the Y class legs receive the 50% bonus?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
That's probably it. I was surprised the first time I bought a high-ish cost Y ticket on AS and got an unexpected bonus (knowing I hadn't actually bought unrestricted Y...).
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
F, P. Y. S. B and M all carry some bonus. This is both an RDM and EQM bonus. The bonus does not apply towards MM'er.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: HHonors Dia, IHG Plat, Wyndham Dia, Southwest Companion Pass, Raddison Gold, Frontier 100K
I had the same surprise happen to me a few months ago, turned out to be due to a Y fare.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Okay, thanks. Sounds like not all Y fares are not equal...
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by rccsd
Okay, thanks. Sounds like not all Y fares are not equal...
Another FTer put together a chart of the fare hierarchy here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.