Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyupfrnt
Please post your upgrade successes & failures including:

Date
Route (Please bold if failure)
Flight Number
Status (MVP, Gold or 75K)
Fare Class
Add companion if there was one
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear
Date of ticket purchase

Examples:
2/2/18 SEA-ANC AS 67 75K Upgrade cleared at T-120 hours
2/19/18 MSY-SEA AS 887 MVPG Didn't clear 4/22 on waitlist
Print Wikipost

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
On our LAX-SJO flight last Saturday we were #1 & #2 on the upgrade list of 5. The gate agent had challenges with our Itinerary and had to call the help desk for assistance. I asked about upgrades as I knew there was one unassigned seat. She looked and advised me that the F cabin had shown all checked in. She also advised that there was one Gold and 2 MVP behind us on the waitlist. Since we were both 75K on a companion certificate I mentioned that I guessed we would be skipped if one F became available. She asked if we didn't mind being split up which I said wouldn't be an issue. She advised that if an F opened up she would upgrade one of us, noted our Premium seats and said she would come and see us. I thought that was pretty nice.

James.
Wow...75K and still couldn't clear on LAX-SJO....I guess I always thought the Costa Rica flights were typically elite-lite and relatively easy upgrades....maybe not.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Wow...75K and still couldn't clear on LAX-SJO....I guess I always thought the Costa Rica flights were typically elite-lite and relatively easy upgrades....maybe not.
LAX-SJO is 2721 miles so further than the transcons. In F 11-12 spoken for when I booked 9 days out. Flight was packed full at departure. With only 5 on the waitlist, 2 75K, 1 gold & 2 MVP it appeared to be an Elite light flight. Perhaps there was some U available futher out or eligible fares were purchased before I reserved.

On the immediate turn flight back, we were upgraded to 1AC, awesome flight crew. Surprisingly, there were four kids in F. It appeared to be grandparents, parents and 4 kids taking up two-thirds of the cabin. Each child sat with a parent or grandparent, no two kids together. They were well behaved and quiet.

Contrast that with our SJC-KOA flight on 12/9. I found U as well as U on KOA-SAN for the return and booked with a companion certificate. With a full 12F cabin there were only 61 passengers behind the curtain and Zero on the waitlist.

James
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
12/11/18 SLC-SEA AS 559 MVPG75K Didn't clear 11/37 on waitlist with a Y class ticket purchased on 12/10/18

Not expecting an upgrade on this flight but I can’t believe with a Y class ticket I was so far down on the list.

Last edited by jjava; Dec 11, 2018 at 6:14 pm
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by jjava
12/11/18 SLC-SEA AS 559 MVPG75K Didn't clear 11/37 on waitlist with a Y class ticket purchased on 12/10/18

Not expecting an upgrade on this flight but I can’t believe with a Y class ticket I was so far down on the list.
The order of the list seems to be less than rational these days....
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, so, how exactly is this supposed to work?

From the thorough explanation by @missydarlin (which has its own thread -- not sticky unfortunately) I was under the impression that, regardless of status or fare class, you would not skip ahead of others already added to the upgrade list when you are added. In other words, I thought:

1. Instant-upgrade fares are added to the queue when they are purchased
2. Non-instant-upgrade 75ks are added at T-5 days
3. Non-instant-upgrade golds are added at T-3 days
4. Non-instant-upgrade MVPs are added at T-2 days
5. Upgrades are processed in the order that they are added

In other words, I thought that if you purchased a ticket close in, you would be behind everyone who had already been added.

I'm now guessing that this is not correct (it's hard to believe that another 26 people bought tickets AFTER jjava -- inside T-1 day -- unless there was a cancellation or something and a lot of people had to be reaccommodated?)

So.. the question is... if you buy a ticket after others have already been added to the upgrade list... how far do you "skip" ahead in the queue?

Last edited by VegasGambler; Dec 11, 2018 at 10:20 pm
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:44 pm

I believe what we see on waitlist order is not really what’s going on behind scenes. I think there was a post somewhere detailing this issue. I forget where.

Last edited by williwaw; Dec 12, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
12/10/18
SFO-ORD
AS 1206
T Fare
1st on list, 4/5 (including me) cleared at boarding. F and Y had been half full or less for weeks, strange to wait until then.
Purchased in September

12/12/18
ORD-SFO
AS 1211
R Fare
1st on list (1/9), cleared at T-10. Only one F seat has been for sale, just as strange that this cleared so early. With only one ORD-SFO flight on Wednesdays, this has been a tough get.
Purchased in September

Last edited by bbison; Dec 12, 2018 at 1:48 pm
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:38 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Ok, so, how exactly is this supposed to work?

From the thorough explanation by @missydarlin (which has its own thread -- not sticky unfortunately) I was under the impression that, regardless of status or fare class, you would not skip ahead of others already added to the upgrade list when you are added. In other words, I thought:

1. Instant-upgrade fares are added to the queue when they are purchased
2. Non-instant-upgrade 75ks are added at T-5 days
3. Non-instant-upgrade golds are added at T-3 days
4. Non-instant-upgrade MVPs are added at T-2 days
5. Upgrades are processed in the order that they are added

In other words, I thought that if you purchased a ticket close in, you would be behind everyone who had already been added.

I'm now guessing that this is not correct (it's hard to believe that another 26 people bought tickets AFTER jjava -- inside T-1 day -- unless there was a cancellation or something and a lot of people had to be reaccommodated?)

So.. the question is... if you buy a ticket after others have already been added to the upgrade list... how far do you "skip" ahead in the queue?
There are 2 queues - the 75K queue, which clears first, and the Gold/MVP queue.

So it sounds like there were 10 75K's on the list, and jjava made #1 1 - The other 26 would have been Golds and MVPs

The order looks more like:

1. Instant upgrade 75k fares are added to the queue when purchased
2. Non-instant-upgrade 75ks fares are added at T-5 days (in fare class order)
3 75K's who purchase at after T-5

-----------------
4. Instant upgrade Gold/MVP fares added to queue when they are purchased
5. Non-instant-upgrade gold fares are added at T-3 days (in fare class order)
6. Golds who purchase between T-3 and T2
7. Non-instant-upgrade MVP fares are added at T-2 days (in fare class order)
8. Gold/MVPs who purchase after T-2

So if a U seat comes available at T-7, its going to clear #1 , then #4
at T-4, its going to go clear #1 -4
QT31415, ashill, williwaw and 2 others like this.

Last edited by missydarlin; Dec 12, 2018 at 12:53 pm
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by missydarlin

So it sounds like there were 10 75K's on the list, and jjava made #11 - The other 26 would have been Golds and MVPs
That makes perfect sense, thanks.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by missydarlin

So it sounds like there were 10 75K's on the list, and jjava made #1 1 - The other 26 would have been Golds and MVPs

The order looks more like:

1. Instant upgrade 75k fares are added to the queue when purchased
2. Non-instant-upgrade 75ks fares are added at T-5 days (in fare class order)
3 75K's who purchase at after T-5

-----------------
4. Instant upgrade Gold/MVP fares added to queue when they are purchased
5. Non-instant-upgrade gold fares are added at T-3 days (in fare class order)
6. Golds who purchase between T-3 and T2
7. Non-instant-upgrade MVP fares are added at T-2 days (in fare class order)
8. Gold/MVPs who purchase after T-2

So if a U seat comes available at T-7, its going to clear #1 , then #4
at T-4, its going to go clear #1 -4
Where do SDCs end up? I'm presuming in bucket #3/8?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:24 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by jhurwitz
Yes.
williwaw likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by jhurwitz
Where do Elite or non-elite companions go? Eligible fare vs complimentary, outside the window vs inside the window. How about an MVP with a companion? I have seen an MVP waitlisted for first with a non-elite companion.

Thanks

James
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Where do Elite or non-elite companions go? Eligible fare vs complimentary, outside the window vs inside the window. How about an MVP with a companion? I have seen an MVP waitlisted for first with a non-elite companion.

Thanks

James
Are you sure that companion doesn't have status? Because I'm MVP and when I'm on the same reservation with a non-elite, I don't even get on the waitlist myself.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:36 pm

A couple of times I’ve been on waitlist as mvp with non-mvp companion. Nothing has ever come of it so I assume it’s a meaningless entry on the list. And it hasn’t happened in past month.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by ezak
Are you sure that companion doesn't have status? Because I'm MVP and when I'm on the same reservation with a non-elite, I don't even get on the waitlist myself.
Yes, I gifted MVP to my Mother and then used her companion certificate to book her and her non-elite friend to Vegas. Both were waitlisted for first. My mother showed on the waitlist while her friend did not.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.