Search

Purchasing with intent to cancel?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVP Gold
Purchasing with intent to cancel?

So I am curious if this frowned upon or "illegal" or what haha

So I am planing on going back home on Saturday and I booked a red-eye flight earlier this year because it was cheaper fare and now I plan on doing the same day confirmed change (as a MVP Gold) so switch to the morning flight. How bad would it be to purchase a ticket for the morning flight using miles to make sure I have a good seat (exit row or premium) then canceling after being able to the same-day?

Let me know your thoughts on this
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Violates the Contract of Carriage:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/le...arriage/rule-7

Whether they’ll catch you may be a different story.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do it once and nobody knows or cam be sure. Do it a few times and that is costing AS serious money in revenue forgone. AS doesn't spend money on anti-fraud software so that it can let ticketing fraud go.

It's a private business, so hard to blame it for not wanting to be defrauded.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by seahawks10177
So I am curious if this frowned upon or "illegal" or what haha

So I am planing on going back home on Saturday and I booked a red-eye flight earlier this year because it was cheaper fare and now I plan on doing the same day confirmed change (as a MVP Gold) so switch to the morning flight. How bad would it be to purchase a ticket for the morning flight using miles to make sure I have a good seat (exit row or premium) then canceling after being able to the same-day?

Let me know your thoughts on this
So you're seeking to assuage your guilt by asking permission from a bunch of people you don't know on an internet bulletin board? Go for it! If you get caught, just tell them I said it was ok...
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVP Gold
Originally Posted by flytoeat
So you're seeking to assuage your guilt by asking permission from a bunch of people you don't know on an internet bulletin board? Go for it! If you get caught, just tell them I said it was ok...
Haha sounds good I don't plan on doing it but was just curious
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Sounds rather dubious.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:48 am
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Normally the system will catch it as a duplicate booking and cancel one of the reservations.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I recall that some frequent flyers have gotten into trouble for IT glitches that allowed First Class seats to appear as occupied, so that their upgrade is more likely to clear on the day.

Definitely a bad idea OP...
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:30 am

As soon as you cancel ticket your good seat will be assigned to the highest priority Elite which might be someone else. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the system lock the seat change on the day of travel that only gate agents can upgrade?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by agurg
As soon as you cancel ticket your good seat will be assigned to the highest priority Elite which might be someone else. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the system lock the seat change on the day of travel that only gate agents can upgrade?
You can still change your seat assignment after check-in, but I do believe it locks closer in (maybe <1 hr).
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by T2A
Normally the system will catch it as a duplicate booking and cancel one of the reservations.
The system is pretty good at catching the same flights on the same day, or any two flights in the air at the the same time, making it impossible to fly both reservations. I had a ticket on the final LAX-SEA this week, a mid-morning LAX-SEA flight the next day, since I didn't know how late my project would run, and they flagged that and required me to cancel one of them. I think it wouldn't have been flagged if the first flight didn't arrive on the same day as the second flight.

Two flights leaving the same day would definitely be flagged.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:12 pm

I mean, normally I don't mind doing whatever against big corporations to get whatever benefit you can squeeze out of them, but in this case it doesn't seem worth it at all. If you were getting some good benefits out of your strategy, sure. But in this case you're only doing it for a slightly better seat - not worth it.

and they flagged that and required me to cancel one of them.
How was this enforced (call, email etc?). E.g. Southwest and AA do an automatic cancellation of one/both itineraries. Does alaska auto-cancel or give you time to think etc?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
I mean, normally I don't mind doing whatever against big corporations to get whatever benefit you can squeeze out of them, but in this case it doesn't seem worth it at all. If you were getting some good benefits out of your strategy, sure. But in this case you're only doing it for a slightly better seat - not worth it.

How was this enforced (call, email etc?). E.g. Southwest and AA do an automatic cancellation of one/both itineraries. Does alaska auto-cancel or give you time to think etc?
My past experience is an automated phone call. Now if you book one on AS and one one AA, they dont catch those (or at least the last time i had duplicate)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.